Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Built a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R target included

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Built a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R target included
      #191354 - 05/10/11 06:09 PM

Good Day Ladies and Gents:

I have been spending the last month of Mondays trying to work up a load for my Merkel 141E.

The gun was originaly regulated with the Norma 232 grain Vulcan. We don't have any of that here in Alberta so I picked the Speer HotCor 270 grain semi spitzer in .366 diameter and went to work.

I tried a half a dozen diferent powders and finally came up with Varget powder at 53 grains.

My range work was done at 50 metres using a scope set on 3 power.

Now all I have to do is adjust the regulation screws on the barrels and I should be set.

I think I am going bear hunting this weekend with the Merkel. I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

Edited by carpediem4570 (06/10/11 05:48 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: carpediem4570]
      #191355 - 05/10/11 06:22 PM

Hi Carpediem,

Have you got Graeme Wrights book, in that he talks about the problem that your having with the left barrel although it is still 3" of Bear.... Good Luck and Good Shooting...

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #191369 - 06/10/11 01:57 AM

Hey Carpediem - tradeexcanada in Quebec has 232gr. Norma's in Vulcan and Oryx. As well, sized down 225gr. .375" Hornady SP's should also work.

The Vulcan has quite a heavy jacket, while the Oryx is the bonded bullet and eitehr should do for most everything here in Canada. I'd prefer a heavier 286gr. or 293gr. TUG's for grizzly but the 232gr. should give everything the 270 Speer can on the other game species.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: DarylS]
      #191376 - 06/10/11 05:56 AM

Hello Chapuisarmes:

Yes, I have Graeme's book and it is a wealth of information. However, in this instance the regulation of my Merkel will be made very easy because this rifle, the 141E, is the rifle with the adjustable barrel regulation device. There are two hex screws at the front of the barrels for adjusting the point of impact of the left barrel. I will post the final target when I get out to the range this weekend.

Hey Daryl S:

Good to hear from you again.
I purchased my rifle from tradeex and had a couple of boxs of projectiles sent along with the gun. I didn't care for the Vulcan bullets because I don't want to pay for the shipping so I chose a bullet that was readily available at Wholesale Sports.

Being a reloader, it would be silly not to work up the "perfect" load for this rifle.

Eventually I will start working on a load using the 286 grain bullets.

For now, this load will be used for bear, deer and moose this year.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: carpediem4570]
      #191387 - 06/10/11 09:51 AM

The loads in Graeme's book are for regulation with open sights. The scope effectively changes the plane of the point of aim since it is now higher at the rear, but I guess you already know that. His book has good diagnostic information on why the groups from each barrel are separated, in regards to the direction of separation.

Trial and error I guess. I haven't seen the setup of the adjustment screws but I figure that adjustment will likely change to point of impact on both barrels - obviously moreso on the left hand barrel but I reckon this will still cause some affect on the right too.

Edited by mauserand9mm (06/10/11 09:53 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #191391 - 06/10/11 11:14 AM

Judging from what I saw of the effect of the 270 Speer on the little moose I shot with one (2,300fps mv) 200 yards, I'd think a moderate speed of around 2,300fps to 2,400fps would be about right for most ungulates and of course, black bear. I don't think I'd shove it must past 2,400fps.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Working up a load for my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #191430 - 07/10/11 10:18 AM

Quote:

.... The scope effectively changes the plane of the point of aim since it is now higher at the rear, but I guess you already know that. ....

Oops, this was misleading. The different point of aim axis of the scope won't affect regulation. After all, all it is doing is providing a point of aim. For fixed settings, and compare with fixed open sight settings, it will affect the point of impact at other ranges, if you know what I mean.

I'm endeavouring to make sure the caffeine has taken effect before I type any other responses in the mornings

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3428

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com