Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
New "Double Rifle"... of sorts
      #171993 - 24/11/10 01:43 PM

This project has been a lot of fun, and I have four of these in production now.

This one is 28 x 28 x 22 hornet (I guess that makes it a "double rifle", right?)

I'm not certain of the original German name, but we're calling it a "rib-drilling." And they are being made in Germany with straight grip and splinter forend (Anson release.)

Notice the button on the safety slide. It has 3-positions.

Forward = SxS shotgun (two triggers) with auto ejectors.
Middle = all barrels safe.
Rear = rifle barrel with extractor.

You can move between the forward position (fire shotguns barrels) to the middle position (all safe) without pushing the little button on top, but to engage the rifle barrel, you have to push the little button down and move the safety slide to the rear-most position. Then you cand fire the rifle barrel only.

The pics don't really do the size or scale justice. It is very small. This action is 1.7" at the the widest point. The action is quite round, and it should carry very nicely.

I haven't weighed one first-hand, but the objectives were slim, trim and as light as possible. We obviously wanted it to carry and feel as much like a 28ga shotgun as possible.

We wanted to add an ejector / extractor switch on the shotgun barrels, but there wasn't enough room in the forend.

We also wanted the rear rifle sight to pop-up when the rifle barrel was engaged, but there wasn't enough room in between the barrels, so that will have to be done manually for precise aiming.

This one has 28" barrels and will be engraved by one of the big names in Italy. The engraving should be over the top.

All-in-all, they will be nice little guns. I'll keep you posted as they finish up.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Edited by CptCurl (24/11/10 10:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: new_guy]
      #171997 - 24/11/10 02:16 PM

More of a Drilling than a double rifle. To be a double rifle, it needs 2 rifle barrels with no other barrels attached.

Now, a double shotgun with 2 rifle barrels is a Boch-Drilling, I think.

Your gun is looking great. The Hornet barrel, litterally in the rib - Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: DarylS]
      #171998 - 24/11/10 02:24 PM

Waldläufer!

Schienen Drilling!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: tinker]
      #172000 - 24/11/10 02:42 PM

/\ Yah... What he said!?!?/\

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: AkMike]
      #172001 - 24/11/10 03:18 PM

Here's a few proper names for different bbl configurations,

DM

Edited by CptCurl (24/11/10 10:31 PM)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: DM]
      #172004 - 24/11/10 04:11 PM

Sehr interessant, New Guy,

do the guts all come out on the left-hand side? The shotgun barrels look bigger than 28g but I guess the Hornet chambers had not yet been cut. Such a drilling with 3" 20g barrels would be handy for shooting foxes, here.

- Paul

Rich
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: Fayette county Pa.
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: Paul]
      #172024 - 25/11/10 12:09 AM

Waldiaufer! in English means Woods walker.

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: Rich]
      #172026 - 25/11/10 12:48 AM

Whatever it would be called, it is technicaly magnificent and looks like the asthetics will be as well. No one does precision like the Germans.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #172027 - 25/11/10 01:45 AM

TKs DM - memory - such a fleeting thing it is.

This gun doesn't fit the standard configurations - but would fit very nicely in my gun locker.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: Paul]
      #172029 - 25/11/10 02:18 AM

Quote:

Sehr interessant, New Guy,

do the guts all come out on the left-hand side? The shotgun barrels look bigger than 28g but I guess the Hornet chambers had not yet been cut. Such a drilling with 3" 20g barrels would be handy for shooting foxes, here.

- Paul

The barrels do look a bit big for a 28 in the photos, but I too was looking at it the wrong way; if the barrels appear that big for a 28, you can imagine how small the overall action is.

There are actually two sidelocks for the shotgun barrels. The right one is just not removed in any of the photos, but it comes off just like the left.

The lock for the rifle barrel is attached to the trigger-plate.

As noted, this one is in 28ga, but the second one is 20ga.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: new_guy]
      #172036 - 25/11/10 02:46 AM

Looks like a great drilling!

A few years back I asked Peter Hambrusch if he could build a 3 barreled .470 NE that was like a side by side with a third barrel tucked under the bottom rib. And I asked that it weigh not more than 11 pounds. He could build the gun. It was expensive, but not outrageous. But what discouraged me was that the gun would need to weigh 14 pounds, which is more than I can carry on a serious hunt.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: 500grains]
      #172039 - 25/11/10 03:47 AM

It looks great! The side-locks make it exceptionally nice. I'm thinking that you plan to post pictures of the finished product as well and I look forward to seeing them. I've attached a picture of an original box-lock that I have configured with 16 ga, shot tubes and what is for all practical purposes a .22 LR running through the rib.

Tinker hit it on the head calling it a "Schienen" for rail or rib drilling.

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Edited by CptCurl (25/11/10 09:53 PM)

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: Buchsemann]
      #172042 - 25/11/10 05:35 AM

"Schienendrilling" = any Drilling, even larger bore ones, with the rifle barrel on top of the shot barrels, inside the "Schiene" = top rib.
"Waldläufer" = woodsloafer, originally a trademark of Schmidt & Habermann, Suhl, ESHA. ESHA offered such Schienendrillinge since about WW1. The Waldläufer was intended for fur and feather, the small bore rifle barrel giving some added reach for an occasional fox. Originals by ESHA were usually double 16 bores with a .22lr or 5.6x35R Vierling on top. The Vierling cartridge was sort of a parallel development of the .22 Hornet: The Germans took the .22 Winchester centerfire case and loaded it with smokeless and jacketed bullets nearly to later Hornet ballistics. In due time "Waldläufer" became a generic term or household word for all these small-bore Schienendrillinge, regardless of maker. The development of small-bore, rifled insert barrels for shotguns by Burgsmüller and Krieghoff deeply cut into the appeal of the Waldläufer, as they solved the same "problem" at a much lower price.
After WW2 Waldläufer were only offered on order by Ferlach makers, but these were sometimes even more unusual: I have once seen a Ferlach made double rifle in 9.3x74R with a .22 Hornet barrel on top.

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: kuduae]
      #172052 - 25/11/10 07:44 AM

I'm always amazed how little of the wood stock actually heads into sidelock/boxlock actions, and still holds up for decades under heavy use.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: DarylS]
      #172060 - 25/11/10 10:13 AM

Drilling means three barrel gun, so you are making a drilling. Drillings usually have two side by side shotgun barrels, with rifle barrel beneath (such drillings were carried by WWII German pilots in Africa, for survival in case of crash), but we now see more modern drillings with rifle barrel above two shotgun barrels. Some drillings are double rifles, normal side by side double rifle arrangement, with a third barrel being shotgun, usually beneath the double rifle. These are called "double rifle drillings." Some have three rifle barrrels; no shotgun barrels. The Germans and Austrians developed this sort of thing, in a lot of different configurations, and their workmanship on old examples is simply outstanding. A lot of Europeans today hunt with drillings.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: New "Double Rifle"... of sorts [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #172066 - 25/11/10 02:22 PM

My Schienendrilling is an ESHA 'Waldläufer', a 16b boxlock with 22lr in the rib.

I really like it a lot and it's been very handy here on our ranch.
With a couple roundball handloads, a pocket full of shotshells and some rimfire ammunition, I'm set for just about anything from packrat to mountain lion.

NewGuy, I'm excited for you on this project.
Have fun with it!
I'm sure any/all of your clients will enjoy the neat little guns.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9931

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com