Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cogswell & Harrison - Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Cogswell & Harrison - Question
      #141351 - 30/08/09 03:07 PM

Gents,

About a year ago, while at a local gun show, I checked out what was clearly marked as a Cogswell & Harrison SXS double rifle chambered in 10.75X68. The gun was in nice condition but I passed on it as I was actively pursuing another rifle and unfortunately wasn't prepared to pick up both. What has been on my mind for a while and is part of what has prompted me to begin this thread tonight is this gun had what looked like so many other German receivers I’ve seen over the years, scalloped and with side clips. The later along with the chambering has had me wondering. I'd rather not make any assumptions and would appreciate hearing from others, with a heck of a lot more knowledge about English manufacturers than I have, as to how this configuration may have come about. Did Cogswell & Harrison and possibly other English manufacturers use German made receivers on occasion in the production of their doubles or did I see an English receiver that happened to look German? I’m familiar with the use of Mauser bolt action receivers by the English but I had not and haven’t since seen what looked like a German receiver on an English double. I wish now that I had taken more time to check out proof marks and anything else that could have told me more.

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Cogswell & Harrison - Question [Re: Buchsemann]
      #141352 - 30/08/09 04:44 PM

C&H were whoretailers to the trade.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Cogswell & Harrison - Question [Re: kamilaroi]
      #141353 - 30/08/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

C&H were whoretailers to the trade.

So were quite a few others

At the end of the day, if a customer came in with money and wanted to order something, the gun dealer / maker would do it.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Cogswell & Harrison - Question [Re: 500Nitro]
      #141361 - 31/08/09 01:44 AM

So it is possible that C&H bought the gun from some German maker and then added their finishing touches (engraving possibly or maybe not) and sold the thing?

If this is so, I have to ask, how does one come up with a value for such a thing? Would it pretty much fall into the category of "Maker Unknown" and take it as simply a 10.75X68 SXS in nice condition?

--------------------

- John Dryden

Buchsemann
.333 member

#141619 - 06/09/09 02:38 AM

NE,

As there hasn't been much comment on the subject I sent an inquiry to C&H's "Archives & Publications" department to see if they can tell me more about the subject rifle, in particular what firm (probably German) sold it to C&H. Since posting my question on NE I have found that the gun is available and have all but closed on its purchase. I've read quite a bit with regard to the many opinions saying that the 10.75X68 Mauser is a "medium" round not suitable for the largest of African game but I'm thinking it will do just fine for taking down some Russians, boars that is. Unless I find something wrong with it I will more than likely take possession of it sometime next week.

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------

- John Dryden

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #141621 - 06/09/09 03:41 AM

We'd all like to see pictures when you get it.

Armbar.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #141653 - 06/09/09 03:19 PM

Buchseman,

Cogswell and Harrison both sold others rifles and built some very high grade ones. Coggies were and are highly regarded in India at least. And the 423 Mauser (as the 10.75x68 was labeled for sale in India) took all of the game available there - tigers, gaur and the occasional rogue elephant etc.

Yes, pics are mandatory here. More seriously, nothing is better than a thread with pictures of fine trophies, happy children out hunting with their parents, fine guns etc and in no specific order. Please do post pictures of your rifle here whenever you find time.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Cogswell & Harrison - Question [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #142688 - 26/09/09 02:34 AM

Mehulkamdar,

As it has turned out I won't be posting any pictures of nor doing anything else with the subject double. I met with the individual selling the piece the night before last and was disappointed to see that the gun was in worse shape than I had remembered . I didn't recall seeing the many buggered-up screws it has the last time I looked at it, a year ago, and the "situation" with the top rib at the muzzle face was way worse than I had re-called. It appears that somebody really did a major hack job of trying to regulate it. I’m sure it can all be fixed but I’m leaving that for someone else. It has nice case colors and it’s tight. The barrel finish is average, the wood and the rest is average as well. The seller has had Cabela's appraise it and I was told that Jack Puglisi may be looking at it as well. It will be interesting for me to see what it lists for when the time comes.

Buchseman

--------------------

- John Dryden

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2844

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com