Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
470NE Full Loads with cast bullets?
      #103017 - 21/04/08 02:11 AM

Hey Guys -I really enjoy shootin my 470NE and do so every week. Question is can I shoot lead cast bullets with 85 gr R15 ? Love shootin Woodleigh but at a $1.25 a pop per bullet it's getting a bit too pricey....especially now that it cost me $20 just to drive to the range!!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets? [Re: Westley375]
      #103020 - 21/04/08 04:33 AM

Hello Westley375
I was the CEO for Cast Performance Bullet Company a few years ago. I have no experience with the 470 Nitro, so I can’t recommend a powder charge, but I can make an educated guess that you would be very well served with a good bullet mold and cast bullets. The pressure and velocity of the 470 is about perfect for cast bullets. You can use gas checks for the 475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger and LBT Blue lube.
Cast bullets at the same pressure will usually give about 100 fps more velocity than jacketed, so that will probably effect the regulation of a double. If I were doing the work for myself, I would opt for a mold to throw a bullet about 50 grains heavier than your jacketed bullet, so as to keep the velocity about the same.

50 grains will not produce much more recoil because the pressure is reduced over jacketed bullets, and they by working with your powder charge, you can probably get very good point of impact at point of aim.
Amway, if I were you, I would absolutely go with a mold and have some fun.
Steve

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets? [Re: szihn]
      #103033 - 21/04/08 11:01 AM

Absoltuely, full power in cast. Note that cast bullets usually give 50 to 100fps higher velcoities with identical loads. These may or may not shoot to the sights, but that should be easy to figure out?
: I-too would use LBT Blue - the soft stuff is best according to Veral's site.
: At 2,150fps, heat treaded WW metal is not brittle and should penetrate similar to solids.
: A flat nose may be best in a cast bullet - I'd speak with Veral Smith personally on that and discus what he has to recommend.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

LGF
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/05
Loc: Kenya/Berkeley, CA
Re: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets? [Re: DarylS]
      #103187 - 22/04/08 03:38 PM

When I asked this question a couple of years ago, several people said that lead bullets at full velocity would cause severe barrel leading - true?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between WW bullets cast at home and store boughten ones from Huntingtons?

Thanks.

sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Re: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets? [Re: LGF]
      #103568 - 26/04/08 10:48 AM

Can I ask what it costs you guys to shoot a load like the 470? I'm kinda thinkin the 45/70 is lookin small these days....maybe a 470 in the future?
Jim

Pilgrim
.275 member

Reged: 25/05/04
Loc: Washington State, USA
Re: 470NE Full Loads with cast bullets? [Re: sako300]
      #103569 - 26/04/08 11:23 AM

Cast bullets are a wonderful solution IF your barrel is smooth enough. I shoot an RCBS 200 gr Cast bullet in my .358, air cooled wheel weights @ 2400+ fps with no leading. Accuracy is about 1.5" for 5 shots at 100 yards. My Chapuis 9.3mm has rough barrels and leads with the same bullet alloy at ~2300 fps. There are casting techniques that often can eliminate leading, but those are too involved for this post. I'm currently trying heat treated bullets to see if that will solve the leading problem with the Chapuis. Check the CASTBOOLITS site as those folks are always willing to help. Do a search on the archives and you will most likely find the answers you are looking for without having to post. Bottom line is for rifle use (velcities >~1300 fps +/-) always use a gas checked bullet. Size the bullet ~ .002 over groove diameter. Use a good lube with a reputation for high velocity. LBT Blue, Rooster Red, LARS Carnuba Red...there are others. Always "bell" your case mouths before seating the bullet to avoid bullet damage. Use the slowest powder you can that will still give you regulation. FWIW...Pilgrim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3373

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com