Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?
      #84255 - 19/08/07 03:01 PM

Gentlemen,

I tried to post the following on AR, but except for a couple of replies from people who actually read the question, all I got were recommendations on which scope around is the best, and why I shouldn't bother asking...

Positing that at the moment there is no true all-round big/DG game scope in the market (please read below), that it is possible to develop one, that development costs money, that whoever puts the money up wants to end up with something useful and at least get his money back,

Can someone be kind enough to give constructive and enlightened comments and answers to the following post?

Looking for a DG scope, one comes to the conclusion that there is no such critter. Some are good approximates, but – as far as I'm concerned – all fall short in one respect or the other.

On bolt actions, some existing scopes come very close to be "it", but on doubles they all have the serious drawback of being in the way when you need to reload fast.

So-called Scout scopes, designed to be mounted forward of the action, have a magnification of 2-2.5 and for most people are unsuitable for truly aiming with both eyes open.

I have drawn a list of what would be a real DG scope the way I understand it (some features like waterproof, optical quality, etc. are taken for granted as high-end manufacturers do incorporate these anyway):

- Magnification, from true 1 to 4 (or 6 as Swaro is making now): The scope can then really be used for fast sighting with both eyes open.

- Eye relief, 200 to 220mm: The scope can be mounted forward of the action on bolt actions, and forward of the breech on doubles: it won't interfere with reloading, especially on doubles.

- Ocular external diameter, 35-36mm max (like the Nickel Magnum): The scope can be mounted as close to the iron sights line as possible (in an ideal world, scope and irons should be on the same line of sight...)

- Objective external diameter, straight tube (1" or 30mm)

- Illuminated Flash Dot (if it works it's there to help, if it does not work you still have a good scope)

- Reticle plane, I'd favour 1st plane as this is a simpler and sturdier internal set-up.

If such a scope should be developed by a top-notch manufacturer, specifically for DG, then:

- Are the features I listed going in the right direction?

- Are there other essential features that should be incorporated?

I'm asking because the development of such a scope is a possibility, and preliminary info is needed for assessment.

The idea would be to have a scope that you could leave on in 99% of the circumstances, unless it's been trampled by a four-footed or four-wheeled creature.

It should be good for taking a duiker at 150m+, and facing an unexpected charge from 10m (I'm saying "unexpected", knowingly following a wounded beast in the thick is not on the agenda).

It should be as close as possible to the iron sights line, and it should not be in the way if you need to reload a double or a bolt action in haste.

It should be fine for warthog pickin' in the day, and leopard at night, and going back to camp on foot at dusk in lion country.

In short, I'd like to define the features that would make a scope 1st natural choice anytime someone asks "What scope do I want to take on my African hunt?".

Thanks!

Philip

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: Kano]
      #84265 - 19/08/07 10:08 PM

> Eye relief, 200 to 220mm: The scope can be mounted forward of the action on bolt actions, and
> forward of the breech on doubles: it won't interfere with reloading, especially on doubles.

Flexibility in eye relief would be very valuable to me. In my opinion, having a full field of view with the eye positioned anywhere between 100 and 200 mm would be ideal.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: Kano]
      #84280 - 20/08/07 03:36 AM

I think 200 mm is overkill. The Noske Field Scope, a handmade scope made in the '30's, had 6" (150mm) of eye relief and was specifically designed to allow the scope to be mounted in front of the bolt handle on unaltered Mausers and Springfields. I have several of these scopes which I have used extensively on bolt rifles up to and including .577 caliber and I find them ideal.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but trying to align the pupil of my eye even with a relatively large exit pupil (probably no more than 12mm with a 1" straight tube scope) at more than 6" seems a pretty difficult task.

I know that they're unfashionable now, but several of my favorite hunting scopes, including the Noske, have 22mm diameter tubes (Lyman Alaskan, Zeiss and Hensholdt Zielklein) and I find them completely adequate for all but the most extreme hunting conditions. They have the further advantage of being capable of being mounted extremely low, right on the line of sight for iron sights.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: xausa]
      #84285 - 20/08/07 06:14 AM

> I think 200 mm is overkill. The Noske Field Scope, a handmade scope made in the '30's, had 6" ...

Could be. Six inches sounds good too.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: Tatume]
      #84307 - 20/08/07 02:30 PM

I have a S&B 1-4 with the Flash Dot reticle on my 450/400 double [and one on a Drilling, as well as a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 on a 9,3 double and on another 9,3x9,3x20ga double rifle drilling].

I have not found them to interfere with reloading in any way.

On doubles above 40 cal, If you have problems with iron sights consider a red dot sight.

The Docter Optic shows a lot of promise, I will be testing one in a few days.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: NE450No2]
      #84618 - 25/08/07 11:19 AM

I'll go with Xausa. The very first postwar Weaver K2.5, with a 1" tube and slightly enlarged eyepiece, was also designed with a 6" eye relief and 40' field at 100 yards, and was suitable for mounting ahead of 1903 and 1898 bolt handles. This long eye relief was maintained up through the 60 series, but was shortened with the 60A and later scopes by which time commercial bolt actions were available with low bolt handles. These K2.5s and the K3 (again, up through the series 60) are somewhat superior optically, IMO, to the Noskes. The early K4s also have a long eye relief but it is not as long as the lower powered Weavers and 4X is too much for a DG scope anyway. The Lyman Alaskan is a fine scope but eye relief is not as long as the Noske or Weavers. None of these early scopes have self centering reticles so they have to be mounted with precision. For the close to moderate ranges desirable when hunting DG, these low power compact sized long eye relief very low mountable early scopes are perfectly suitable and in many respects preferable to the moderns. The one respect in which, IMO again, they fall short is that they are not variables and cannot be turned down to 1.5x and a superwide field of view. On the other hand, they will not be sitting on 6x when you are surprised in the bush by an animal you are stalking.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? [Re: vigillinus]
      #84661 - 26/08/07 10:14 AM

And also, with the long eye relief, the rifles look sleeker and handle better without the rear end of the scope hanging back over the grip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2746

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com