Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Quest

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
akrange
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/05
Loc: Michigan, United States
Double Rifle Quest
      #44439 - 20/12/05 01:18 PM

Hello, I'm a new poster to this forum.. I've been reading all the post that I felt would help me learn more about the various new/old double Rifles..I thought I'd ask this sage group of double gunners what book should I get to read that would give me the most knowlege of all the old rifles. Their are many makers.. Some good some not so good..I see many rifles as I surf the wed dealers and don't know much about the various Rifle.. I feel if I can learn the old rifles/markers I can judge the new also..I'm looking for a D.Game double.. I've already invested a year banging around and need to speed up the process..Knowlege..

Thanks,AK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: akrange]
      #44448 - 20/12/05 04:18 PM

First of all welcome to the forum. I too am knowledge challenged. This is a great place to start. Most specific questions here get answered. For general Stuff I bought the following: "The Big Bore Rifle" by Michael McIntosh..."Classic Sporting Rifles" by Christopher Austyn...and "Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Graeme Wright. Most of these are out of print so I found them on Amazon.com. There is a fairly new book published titled "The Express Rifle" by Saul Braceras. It is advertised in "The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal". It is a quarterly journal. I haven't read any reviews here about it, but if I get it for xmas I'll let the forum know what I think of it. The Double Gun Journal is more of a shotgun type of publication but on occasion they will have articles on double rifles. Don't forget the "search" function on this forum, many questions have already been asked and answered. http://www.hallowellco.com/index.html has a definitions and abbreviations section that I have found helpful. I hope that this has been helpful and not too basic. Best of Luck. Armbar.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #44452 - 20/12/05 04:31 PM

akrange:

That's an awfully broad question and there's no concise answer. With respect to the pre-war British double rifles(I'm speaking of boxlocks here based on the assumption that price will exclude sidelocks), there is no substitute for research. Read old posts on this site. You need to handle a lot of different rifles. When you find one you like, post a query here to get some feedback.

Don't get caught up in the name game - there are too many. First rate rifles can be found with dozens of different names on them, and not many were actually made by the makers who signed them. Worse, most of the gunmakers who retailed guns made by others (and almost all of them did) didn't use one supplier exclusively, so two boxlock rifles of the same name, caliber, vintqage and grade can be very different rifles. It can get confusing fast. Like I said, you need to handle a lot of different rifles and LOOK at them. In time you'll learn to tell the difference between the better quality guns and the lesser.

I hate to even take a stab at names, but I've found great rifles from: William Evans, George Gibbs, Manton, W. J. Jeffery, Charles Boswell, Charles Lancaster, Daniel Fraser, Alex Henry, Army & Navy, A. Hollis, Joseph Lang, H. J. Hussey, London Sporting Park, P. Orr, John Wilkes, John Rigby, John Harper, Thomas Turner, Westley Richards, James Wilkinson, etc. So there are 20 names. Of the 20, I see 11 whose boxlocks usually came from Webley & Scott in Birmingham. Two more got theirs primarily from H. Leonard in Birmingham. Wilkes made rifles for several of the others. Webley, Leonard, and Wilkes all made wonderful rifles. See what I mean? You have to judge the rifle by it's build quality and condition, bugger the name.
----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #44455 - 20/12/05 04:40 PM

Any Shot You Want A Square

Boddington's books - a couple have good sections on Calibres
and typres of guns - some of which is getting a bit dated but
it is still all good reading and reference material

Cartridges of the World

I'll think of sort more later.

500 Nitro

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #44460 - 20/12/05 11:06 PM

akrange,

Welcome to the forum. A book not yet mentioned that I will suggest is The Hammerless Double Rifle by Alexander Gray. There you will find detailed explanations and pictures of the complex process of building a double rifle. It provides knowledge of the many components and parts of a double.

I would also like to emphasize reading the older posts on this forum. Some are filled with information you'll find nowhere else.

I hope this helps.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: CptCurl]
      #44462 - 21/12/05 12:12 AM

akrange,
Welcome to the forum! Caution is the key word for buying any used double. If you don't know and you don't, then get someone who can determine if the rifle you want is in good condition.

Heed to advise given above and enjoy your quest for a double rifle.

Oh, before I forget
Go Back! It's an addiction!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: CptCurl]
      #44500 - 21/12/05 11:05 AM

Good Luck finding "The Hammerless Double Rifle" I have been looking for that book for quite a while. I just recently found a copy on the internet for $350. I think most people who have that book don't like to let it go. I am looking forward to reading it though. I have heard lots of good things about it though.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

akrange
.224 member

Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #44501 - 21/12/05 11:07 AM

400 Nitro

Thanks to all who posted to my call for Help.. I would like to say special thanks to you 400 Nitro for your very informative prospective on looking for a Double Rifle.. Can you tell me how You have been able to put your hands on enough Double Rifles to make You as educated a Mentor as you are..Gun Shows State to State..World Wide travel? How do I get to Feel, Sense enough Rifles.. Where do the Mulla's Meet with all their wares.
Rusty, Thanks for Your very important point about making sure I'm buying a Stallion and not a Carcass.I feel from your post that you think I should go thought a dealer say JJ. Am I correct Rusty?
Merry Christmas to All,
AK

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: bulldog563]
      #44502 - 21/12/05 11:09 AM

Also, Welcome to the forum. I just joined a few months ago and already have a DR being built. It is a great place to learn. I decided to go new instead of used simply because I have very limited experience with them and didn't want to blunder into the hit and miss used DR market. If you do go used make sure that you have a long enough return period that you can get the DR to a person who knows DR's intimately for a look over.

--------------------

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #44509 - 21/12/05 12:24 PM

AKrange,
Actually I think you only need the rifle checked by a professional before you purchase the rifle. If the seller doesn't allow you to have the rifle checked out, then you need to find another seller.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: Rusty]
      #44515 - 21/12/05 01:24 PM

AKrange
What part of the world are you in? Some of the best places to handle and learn about doubles is to go to the SCI Show, the Dallas Safari Show or to the Vintagers [usually in Sept] in Millbrook NY.
Also the next time the DRSS [Double Rifle Shooters Society] has a shoot or a hunt, go to it. You will learn "more in less time" at these events.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #44524 - 21/12/05 02:45 PM

AKrange, Welcome to the forum,and as you have already seen, there is a wealth of information here! All the advice given to you so far, is right on target. 400NitroExpress is one of the most knowledgable people I know on Britt double rifles, and double rifles in general, along with Marrakai, and many others here, and on the other top double rifle, and African hunting forum. You will quickly see that most of the well rounded double rifle people post here, as well as on AR. NITROX is probably the best of the two on double rifles, but both are excellent.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#44551 - 21/12/05 10:13 PM

ak:

It isn't that hard, it just takes time. I've been at it a while. You find 'em where you find 'em. The major gun shows used to be pretty good, but when the internet came along many of the dealers who handled DRs curtailed their travel schedule. Most still go to SCI and Champlin still goes to DSC, but it's mostly net now. Owning them tends to lead to meeting other DR shooters.

No, you don't have to buy from a dealer, but buying from a really good one like Champlin is a good idea. Rusty's point is that nobody is really qualified to evaluate a used double rifle without professional help. I bought all of mine on my own hook and have never had a repair, but I won't do that again. J. J. is a good choice.
---------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

bulldog563
.400 member

#44552 - 21/12/05 10:47 PM

Do you guys think you could list all of the internet DR dealers. I know of;

Champlins

Hallowell

drake.net

gunsamerica

Can't think of any more at the moment.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: bulldog563]
      #44555 - 21/12/05 11:27 PM

Go to "The Gun Rack" at gunshop.com. Most of the usual suspects are listed there.
---------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #44561 - 22/12/05 01:54 AM

Go to 'Links' on this Forum. You will see afew listed there.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

akrange
.224 member

Re: Double Rifle Quest [Re: NE450No2]
      #44565 - 22/12/05 03:01 AM

NE 450no.2

I guess I should fill out my profile so all of you can know more about me.. I will soon. I from Michigan I use the AKrange handle because I've been there a few times and like being in the Mountains..I like the Brooks also.. NE450no.2 thanks for your post I was'nt aware of V. in N.Y.I'll be on that.. As for the others dealers I've been to all of their sites many times. I've been at this for over a year..I'm in debt to all of you for your postings.. It is clear to me that I must go to where the rifles are or go to a dealer known for selling Quality..
Rusty, If I find a rifle online or private owner could You suggest a expert Double Smith that I could call for a review of the Rifle before I buy..
400nitro, I know You are OB WAON.. What say you..

Thanks,
AK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3819

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com