Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b
      #200226 - 21/01/12 11:11 PM

Looking at the catalogue, seems like the Azur XA 9,3x74R kicks off from 5800 Euros, which is around 7500 Dollar. How does these guns compare to say, merkel 141s and chapuis ugex`es? Throw in the Heym 88B`s for good measure, even though its a bit out of my price range!

Opinions boys!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #200240 - 22/01/12 03:38 AM

That price is for the U/O rifle I believe. The SxS rifles start around US$12,500 and they in my opinion are easily the match for Merkel, Chapuis and even Heym. They certainly look and handle better than the heym.... a more expensive gun. At that price the VC also comes with stock custom-fitted to the user.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #200324 - 23/01/12 12:51 AM

The AZUR XA is the SXS small frame, made in smaller calibers. The V-C guns are made to order, you choose the barrel length, stock dimensions, sights, engraving, weight, action finish, splinter forearm vs semi-beavertail, etc., it is a gun made the way you want it, not the way the factory wants to make it. The Chapuis and Merkel are production guns, they make a lot of them and with only a few options and they all look alike. The V-C is hand checkered, hand engraved, the UGEX and 141 are both laser checkered and engraved. You need to look at them side by side (and be sure to look and compare the lock up). Not sure who the dealers/distributor in Norway is but you should try and see a example V-C gun in person.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Kebco]
      #200365 - 23/01/12 10:44 AM

Quote:

The AZUR XA is the SXS small frame, made in smaller calibers. The V-C guns are made to order, you choose the barrel length, stock dimensions, sights, engraving, weight, action finish, splinter forearm vs semi-beavertail, etc., it is a gun made the way you want it, not the way the factory wants to make it. The Chapuis and Merkel are production guns, they make a lot of them and with only a few options and they all look alike. The V-C is hand checkered, hand engraved, the UGEX and 141 are both laser checkered and engraved. You need to look at them side by side (and be sure to look and compare the lock up). Not sure who the dealers/distributor in Norway is but you should try and see a example V-C gun in person.

Kebco is correct on the options available on the VC rifles,however there are no flys on the other two, and there more than just a few perks to be had on Merkels as well, if you want to wait for them to be buiit.

The one thing is the Merkel and Chapuis are very servicable in the off-the-shelf rifles as well.and if reliability is a concern,all are good. All shoot very well.

All the rifles you list are good rifles,and you won't make a mistake no matter which you shoose! I think Kebco can get any of them for you!

What ever your choice they are all DOUBLE RIFLES,that shoot where they are aimed and are reliable, that is what counts more than anything else.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #200367 - 23/01/12 11:23 AM

Personally I think the VC is in a whole other class, compared to Merkel & Chapuis....

Whats not to like about a bespoke gun for a very reasonable price??

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #200368 - 23/01/12 11:24 AM

There is such a wide selection of styles and options available with the VC line of rifles.
I had the pleasure of helping set up the VC table last year in Reno and got to uncrate, assemble, and handle about twenty distinctly different and unique guns and rifles from the VC shop.
Lots of gun for the money, and the fit/finish was consistently above what you typically see at the price range.

When it comes time to have a sweet little smallbore stalking rifle built, I'll be inviting Ken to the bid process!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #200369 - 23/01/12 11:27 AM

Quote:

Personally I think the VC is in a whole other class, compared to Merkel & Chapuis....

Whats not to like about a bespoke gun for a very reasonable price??

Agree, from what I have seen of VC''s and what they offer,
I think they are a cut above the other 3 (talking boxlock's here, not sidelocks).

I own 2 x Merkel's and have shot a couple of Chapuis's and a Heym.

ccmdoc
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/08
Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #200370 - 23/01/12 11:44 AM

I have or have had all three in quite a variety of calibers. All are good but as others have said the Verney-Carron is at least a cut above if not a few cuts above either the Merkel or the Chapuis.
As mentioned by others, if at all possible try to see and handle all three side by side. The first thing you will notice is the V-C looks like the hand-built double it is, the other two look more like assembly-line productions.

All three are safe, well-built, accurate and functional double rifles. Verney-Carron doubles are all that and more.

Good luck and stay well

--------------------
NRA Lifer; SCI member
.224WBY through .416WBY plus 600OK
Verney-Carron 375Flanged, 577NE & 600NE

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: tinker]
      #200394 - 23/01/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

When it comes time to have a sweet little smallbore stalking rifle built, I'll be inviting Ken to the bid process!

Cheers
Tinker

You should see the new 303 he had built... ohhhh my Lordy! What a princess!! I dreamt about her the other night.... Sorry Ken

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#200421 - 24/01/12 04:12 AM

I cannot speak for the US, but I was peeking at the V-C PDF Catalogue, and indeed the V-C azur demas XA is kicking off from 5800 euros in small calibers ( up to and including 9,3). The african which is the big bore S/S starts from 8100 euros, which should be around the 11.000 dollar mark you describe.

VerneyCarron
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/10
Loc: Saint-Etienne, FRANCE
      #200426 - 24/01/12 06:24 AM

Hello to all,

First, I would like to confirm that all guns from L'Atelier Verney-Carron are BESPOKE !!!
There are no defined ranges and no two guns are the same (unless it is a pair ).

Our artisan gunsmiths make your rifle or shotgun according to your wishes and your morphology (BTW, I remind you that if you want to be gun fitted, see info below)... so that your gun is unique !!!

Of course, we need guns to show at exhibitions or to visiting customers, so some guns are made without instructions or measurements from customers.
BUT since they are made to show/present what we can do, every one of those guns is unique and features different aspects of our capabilities !!!

This leads me to the prices Fontainebleu is writing about.
They are in our French catalog where the guns are organized according to those artificial (because no 2 guns are identical) ranges in order to help potential French customers have a general idea of the MINIMUM amount they would need to buy one of these guns.
They are starting prices (à partir de) and calculated for France and therefore do not take into account any of the costs associated with the export of those guns (whether to Norway or the US).
They are needed because in France, Verney-Carron is much more known for its production range => the guns NOT MADE by L'Atelier Verney-Carron and that can be found there

I hope that things are clearer now, and I invite those that can to get to the SCI in Las Vegas to be gun fitted... and to become fan of the Facebook page to stay informed about Verney-Carron (posts are in French or in English depending on the subjects...)

=> GUN FITTING <=
As it was done at the Dallas Safari Club Convention and Expo 2012, you also can be "gun fitted" by Jérôme Lanoue, the Master Gunsmith of L'Atelier Verney-Carron (our Bespoke workshop), and get your "Gun fit measurements" card which will then be useful should you decide to order a Bespoke shotgun or rifle from us !!!
=> NEXT CHANCE TO BE "GUN FITTED"
SCI | LAS VEGAS, NV | February 1-4, 2012
Booth #3447- Mandalay Bay Convention Center
More Info : CLICK HERE

Link fixed by NitroX

--------------------
Verney-Carron SA - Gun Maker since 1650
email@verney-carron.com
> facebook page
> Portal page

> US web site

Edited by CptCurl (30/01/12 12:35 AM)

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: VerneyCarron]
      #200432 - 24/01/12 07:09 AM

Great reply and thanks for the insight! I did write " kick off from" so I believe I am home safe!
Since I have you here, what kind of spesification would you recommend for driven hunts on deer and elk? I am thinking ejectors obviously, are there different sight options if you dont want a scope?
I would like to try out the express sights classic style

VerneyCarron
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/10
Loc: Saint-Etienne, FRANCE
      #200433 - 24/01/12 07:33 AM

Fontainebleu,

I strongly recommend that you address your request for recommendations directly to Jérôme Lanoue (l.atelier@verney-carron.fr) who is the best person for good advice in relation with our bespoke guns.

And FYI, our Importer for Denmark, Sweden and Norway is SCAN-HORSE A/S | Langebjerg 29 - Box 312 | 4000 ROSKILDE | Phone +45 46 74 04 00 | Fax +45 46 74 04 01 | s-h@scan-horse.com

Best regards,

--------------------
Verney-Carron SA - Gun Maker since 1650
email@verney-carron.com
> facebook page
> Portal page

> US web site

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: VerneyCarron]
      #200435 - 24/01/12 07:44 AM

Great, thank you! I wouldnt mind paying an extra thousand dollars or two if in return we swapped the prices for new cars! A base-spec Chevrolet Corvette is 250.000 dollars here in Norway!

500Nitro
.450 member

#200437 - 24/01/12 07:45 AM

Quote:

Great, thank you! I wouldnt mind paying an extra thousand dollars or two if in return we swapped the prices for new cars! A base-spec Chevrolet Corvette is 250.000 dollars here in Norway!

Apologise for the thread drift.

Is that 250 thousand dollars, as in $250,000 ?

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: 500Nitro]
      #200439 - 24/01/12 07:54 AM

Yes. Ridicilous isnt it. Everything with more than 100 horsepowers gets taxed to hell and back upon importing them here in Norway.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

#200440 - 24/01/12 07:55 AM

New Chevy Tahoe 7-seater with the 5.7 L petrol engine. That`ll be 200.000 US dollars, cash or card sir?

500Nitro
.450 member

#200444 - 24/01/12 08:24 AM

Quote:

Yes. Ridicilous isnt it. Everything with more than 100 horsepowers gets taxed to hell and back upon importing them here in Norway.

As I am finding out exporting things there, the taxes on import to the EU are, let me say, ridiculous.

A guy emailed me the other day listing the taxes he had to pay on import, it certainly added up.

No wonder things are so expensive.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: 500Nitro]
      #200447 - 24/01/12 10:05 AM

Those import duties are one of the many side effects of a bloated social welfare state.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: 500grains]
      #200449 - 24/01/12 10:27 AM

We're headed rapidly towards that same thing!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: AkMike]
      #200463 - 24/01/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

I cannot speak for the US, but I was peeking at the V-C PDF Catalogue, and indeed the V-C azur demas XA is kicking off from 5800 euros in small calibers ( up to and including 9,3). The african which is the big bore S/S starts from 8100 euros, which should be around the 11.000 dollar mark you describe.

These prices in France are so very reasonable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: NitroX]
      #200467 - 24/01/12 02:37 PM

Serves you right for getting brand new corvettes for what we have to pay for a bloody chevy matiz here in norway..

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #200492 - 24/01/12 06:31 PM

If you think that´s bad check out Singapore !! I think just a tax disc is about GBP40k then you have to buy the car ! best, Mike

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Re: Verney-Carron Double rifles - compared to merkel/chapuis! b [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #200510 - 24/01/12 09:23 PM

jesus! haha.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #200514 - 24/01/12 10:41 PM

Ha ha all this talk about ridiculously expensive cars reminds me of a thread in 2004 where we were joking about matching number plates to calibres eg I said I would need to get a Ferrari to put the number plate "6.5x68" on ...

... and one slow member had a hissy fit about guys "spending thousands of dollars on a single gun" then "buying a Ferrari to put a gun number on ...."

Guess he didn't understand humour, irony, sarcasm, or other means of laughing at ourselves in his little envy hissy fit.

But 6.5x68 just wouldn't do on a 20 year old diesel slow clunker Landcruiser!

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21783&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10956

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com