Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Storing and snap cap questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Big_J
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/11
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Storing and snap cap questions
      #191985 - 17/10/11 09:20 AM

I am sorry if this have been discussed before, I searched but didnt come up with anything.
I recently was given a Ugex in 9.3X74R, and need to learn proper storage of a double. First off, I was thinking I should get some snap caps to take the spring tension off for storage. So, who makes the best snap caps, and where can I get them? I have seen several types for sale, and am unsure of the best type. Secondly, how often should a guy lubricate the hinge pin? and what should I use?
Any other info or suggestions regaurding storage, and care is great.
Sorry for all the beginner questions but I want this rifle to last for years, and want to take the best care of it I can.
Thanks for your time

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: Big_J]
      #191986 - 17/10/11 09:39 AM

You can also relieve the firing pin tension by squeezing the triggers as you slowly close the action. This will ease the pins into the fired position.

Big_J
.224 member

Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: HogPilot]
      #191987 - 17/10/11 09:41 AM

Thanks for the tip. Does this work on all doubles, the ugex only or...?

HogPilot
.300 member

#191989 - 17/10/11 09:46 AM

Works on my UGEX and Merkel.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #191996 - 17/10/11 11:22 AM

Not sure on all makes but, if the firing pins are extended and gun is very tight the bottom of the chamber can catch extended firing pins.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

HogPilot
.300 member

Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: mickey]
      #192017 - 17/10/11 04:44 PM

Mickey, I'm not sure if this technique extends the pins but rather eases the tension off of them without dry firing. Same as squeezing the trigger and slowly closing the bolt on a bolt action rifle. I'll check it out to see if the pins ever extend in the process and report back, but I don't think they do.

Todd

PS. Just checked. The pins never extend. They just end up without spring tension on them.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #192109 - 19/10/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

You can also relieve the firing pin tension by squeezing the triggers as you slowly close the action. This will ease the pins into the fired position.

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. Does this work on all doubles, the ugex only or...?

Quote:

Works on my UGEX and Merkel.

This works on the Merkel but only if the rifle is not fitted with an auto safety! I have two Merkels one with manual safety, and one with that had an auto safety! The holding the triggers back on any double that has an auto safety cannot be held back while opening the rifle and that is when a double rifle is cocked on opening, not closing, and with the top lever pushed to the opening position the triggers cannot be pulled, nor can the safety be pushed to fire position on opening or closing!

If, however, the double is fitted with a manual safety, then with the safety pushed into the fire position, and the triggers held back while the rifle is opened the tumblers will not be cocked. It is true that most double rifles that are chambered for dangerous game cartridges will be fitted with manual safeties, or should be, so this practice will work on them.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Big_J
.224 member

Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #192111 - 19/10/11 02:44 AM

Thanks guys, and about my lubricating the hinge pin question.... how often and with what should I use? any other parts that need special attention?

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #192121 - 19/10/11 08:07 AM

I was told, in relation to my Merkel, by the dealer who is also Australia's Merkel service rep and who did his training at Merkel, that it is okay to dry fire the rifle at the end of the day or hunt to put it back into storage. He also recommends storing it barrels-down in the safe, to avoid oil soaking into the stock where it meets the metal over time. As for grease, extreme pressure synthetic can be used - it must be synthetic.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: Ben]
      #192122 - 19/10/11 08:12 AM

Storing guns barrel down is also good practice (apart from the reason above) as it stops the recoil pad from being squashed over time.

Re dry firing, not sure why he would say that as I was always told NOT to dry fire a gun without something against the firing pins.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: 500Nitro]
      #192130 - 19/10/11 02:47 PM

Ben I suggest that regular EP grease is fine and dandy for our uses with DR's. The synthetics won't help for this use.
I use many different types of lube in my business and have taken a few classes on the snythetics VS regular oils/greases.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Ben
.400 member

Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: AkMike]
      #192134 - 19/10/11 06:39 PM

Mike, I just was told that it needed to be synthetic as opposed to clay-based (for anti-corrosion purposes). The one I use says it is lithium-based. What does that mean? Is that synthetic or regular? I don't know much about oil and grease.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#192158 - 20/10/11 03:32 AM

I use MILITEC-1 Grease , a synthetic metal conditioner.

- Miltec-1 grease NLGI#2 www.militec-1.com

Militec, INC
11828 Pika drive
Waldorf, Md 20602
(877)202-5512
(301)893-3910

-Stays in place and lubricates in the severest conditions

- Excellent water wash-out resistance
- Superior shock load protection
- Reduces corrosion, wear, and galling

Lubrication is not the only thing that is needed to protect the integrity of the hook, and lock-up mating surfaces in a double rifle! The SHOCK LOAD protection is far more important in the protection against off face condition developing! This is something that is not present in most common greases!

MILITEC-1 is a little pricey but was developed for military use in climates from swamp/ rain forest to desert dust conditions. It can be had in little ½ Oz tubes like tooth paste that can be carried in a shirt pocket. I have a tube of it in every fitted case for all my double rifles and shotguns!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

AkMike
.416 member

#192159 - 20/10/11 03:33 AM

Ben, Now you've got me stumped.. ( that didn't take much )I know of no lubes that are clay based. Clay is an abrasive. Lithium explainations,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_soap
I'm sure that it's thew same in Oz as here for grease. Pick a major brand name and go to the auto parts store and get a tube for a grease gun for auto use that says extreme pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_(lubricant)
Read the part about additives in this last link for the EP.
A tube will last a life time.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Big_J
.224 member

#192174 - 20/10/11 08:06 AM

Quote:

I just tried it, and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Ben
.400 member

#192175 - 20/10/11 08:08 AM

Thanks, Mike. The one I have available in my town is Penrite Extreme Pressure. It says it's lithium-based, which I just read in your link to be non-corrosive.

AkMike
.416 member

#192179 - 20/10/11 08:49 AM

That sounds perfect!

--------------------

Ben
.400 member

#192203 - 20/10/11 06:21 PM

Cheers, Mike. I hope you blokes are still planning on visiting next year! The billy'll be on for a cuppa.

AkMike
.416 member

#192233 - 21/10/11 04:28 AM

Sounds good to me Ben!

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#192417 - 24/10/11 03:20 PM

Mac, I was talking about holding the triggers back while closing the action, not opening it.

By the way, this is Todd Williams from AR.

Cheers.

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
      #192443 - 25/10/11 03:24 AM

Snap Caps, for what it's worth - I've got a 1902 Webley falling block in 375 X 2½ which I don't like storing cocked. I decided to make a simple snap cap by sawing off a case (sawn off to about 1" because I didn't want it to ever be confused with a live cartridge) and using the primer seating stem on my press to force a piece of resilient plastic into the primer pocket. Because I didn't want to sacrifice an expensive 375 case I used a 303 British case which has almost the same head dimensions. Being a frugal sort of lad I use the cut off end of plastic wall plugs for the cushion. When it gets a bit battered I just decap the case and ram a new one in.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#192949 - 03/11/11 05:42 AM

Quote:

Mac, I was talking about holding the triggers back while closing the action, not opening it.

By the way, this is Todd Williams from AR.

Cheers.

Hey Todd How's it going? You used to fly WART HOGs in the Military? If so I now understand the screen name! That is a lethal flying machine for sure! That mini-gun sure puts out fire power faster than a double rifle but the recoil is about the same! Sort of backs that plane up a little when you letter her go! The wart Hogs are one of my all time favorite War planes!

You are correct no matter which dirrection opening or closing on your 500NE Merkel, or my 470NE Merkel because niether has an auto safety or ejectors so it is posible to hold the triggers back with the top lever in the open position, as I said in my post above!
If a double rifle has an automatic safety this is not posible becasue the top lever pushes the safety to "SAFE" and the safety cannot be pushed to fire position till the action is closed and the top lever snapps to the closed position, so triggers cannot be pulled on opening or closing!

Most of the older double rifles had a buffalo horn "STRICKER PAD" in the case with them, to use with barrels removed from the action. One simply places the Stricker Pad over the stricker holes in the action face and pull the trigger letting the soft horn take the impact of the striker. Then the barrels can be placed on the action without the forend attached till the rifle is closed leaving the rifle un-cocked because the strikers are cocked on opening not closing, while ejector springs are cocked on closeing.

The above is just one more reason not to have an auto safety on a double rifle!

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #192950 - 03/11/11 05:56 AM

I'd forgotten about those Buffalo horn striker blocks.

You can also use a coin if needed, nice and soft copper one's work well.

gallatin
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/07
Loc: Olympia,Wa. USA
Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: 500Nitro]
      #192962 - 03/11/11 02:06 PM

I use a piece of wood dowl with a copper pipe soder on style end cap driven on the end. Thr dowl is long enough to stick out the barrel end an inch or two. stand the gun on end with the dowl on the floor and the copper against the face. takes the pin against the copper, works good and you can use the dowl to get things down from the top shelf etc.
John

HogPilot
.300 member

Re: Storing and snap cap questions [Re: gallatin]
      #192967 - 03/11/11 04:43 PM

Actually Mac, I was a Navy F-18 Pilot but I rode Harley's so the HogPilot. Usual handle is AAHogPilot to include American Airlines as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9441

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com