Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do you crimp your bullets in place?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Do you crimp your bullets in place?
      #190422 - 22/09/11 03:40 AM

Good Day to All:

I was messing around with my Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 9.3x74R.

I noticed a compresion ring around one of the bullets I pulled and realized I had way too much crimp on my cases.

I tried an experiment where I took a resized case and measured the inside neck (.369). Without a projectile, I ran the case up into the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I removed the case and re-measured the neck (.360).

The projectile is of course .366 and therefore I should have a factory crimp of .006.

Before conducting this experiment I had the crimp at well over .010 and it was crushing the bullet in a circular pattern around the bullet creating a canalure where there was none.

Interestingly, at 50 metres, with several different powders and loads I was getting bullets out of one barrel or the other that would have the holes overlapping one-another with two shots from each barrel; Ie, R1 and R2 would be overlapping and L1 and L2 would be overlapping.

Now to the question: For those of you who reload, do you crimp your bullets in place and if so how much of a crimp do you use and what type of crimp do you use, ie, factory crimp, taper crimp, role crimp?

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #190433 - 22/09/11 07:03 AM

Mate,I crimp my 404,375 and 9.3x62 and use the crimp ring on the projectile.
No crimp for 338-06 or 8x68s.

Think all my dies are roll crimp.

I have some factory loaded RWS 8x68 ammo that was pulled.The indent on the projectile was visible and when reseated were loose in the case.That is how much crimp they use.
The funny thing is it didn't effect accuracy.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: FATBOY404]
      #190435 - 22/09/11 07:11 AM

I use a Lee Factory Crimp for .458WM, and the Hornady seater die crimp for .500NE. I crimp on the bullet canellure.

I don't crimp for my single-shot .450/.400 3" NE, or my bolt-action .416 Rigby or the single-shot .300H&H.

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: Ben]
      #190446 - 22/09/11 07:40 AM

I roll crimp all my 9.3x62mm rounds when there is a cannelure, likewise my .303.

I've had good results with my ZKW465 Hornet with the Lee factory crimp dies... but again only crimp when there is a cannelure in the bullet.

In the case of the Hornet, the Winchester 40gr JHP's were noticeably more accurate when crimped in place... I'd say that in such a small case the crimp allows pressure to build up to a consistent level before the bullet releases from the case.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: TilleyMan]
      #190469 - 22/09/11 05:12 PM

I lightly crimp my bolt action rounds (not necessary for the Blaser though) and no crimp on DR rounds.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: ozhunter]
      #190496 - 23/09/11 12:27 AM

To get the powder to burn correctly in rounds like the .45/70 and .458 Win., 450 Watts, crimping is about necessary. Too - it prevents both length collapsing due to recoil hammering the rounds into a magazine, or lengthening due to the same forces. At times, 'jumping the crimp' also happens when crimps are not sufficiently heavy.

Lee Factory Crimp Dies help in this regard and allow heavier crimps than normal roll crimpers in seater dies.

In bottle necked rounds, I only crimp .218Bee and .22 Hornet - again, to get the powder I use to burn correctly.

The .356 Winchester M94 needed crimping to maintain ctg. length in the tubular magazine.

Normal hunting bottlenecked rounds in bolt actions do not need crimping in my opinion, nor have they ever needed it. Proper neck tension is more than sufficient to hold the bullets where they are. Roll crimping can actually soften/loosen the hold of the neck on the bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: DarylS]
      #190563 - 23/09/11 04:02 PM

I crimp magazine loads but do not crimp for single shots or Doubles. Never found a need to.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: mickey]
      #190569 - 23/09/11 05:21 PM

The seating depth of the projectile have a big influence on the accuracy. Higher recoil rifles causes the projectile to be pushed deeper in the case in the magazine.

I crimp most of my rounds and I only use a Lee crimping die.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #190583 - 24/09/11 01:02 AM

A never crimp bolt action rifle loads as I have not found any need to an normally the cannelure is in the wrong place for my optimum seating depths. I don't own a double. I do crimp lever action loads.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gallatin
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/07
Loc: Olympia,Wa. USA
Re: Do you crimp your bullets in place? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #190759 - 26/09/11 02:25 PM

I also use a Lee Factory crimp die for my 45-70 and 44 mag hand loads both are stout loads, in the 45-70 icrimp into the cannelure of the hard cast bullets in the 44 i set the 300 gr hard cast out to take advantage of the extra length in the cylinders of the super blackhawk and crimp them not in the cannelure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com