Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E?
      #188898 - 31/08/11 12:57 AM

Good Day Ladies and Gents:

This coming weekend I am finally going to work up a load for my Merkel 141 E in 9.3x74R. The question is, because the Merkel has the adjustment screws for regulation, do I treat this as a conventional double or do I:

check for group with the right barrel and then adjust the left barrel?
check for group with both barrels and then bring the left barrel over?
any other options?

All groups are shot with four rounds; right, left, right, left and the gun is then left to cool before the next string. Once a group has been found that is reasonable, more rounds will be expended to determine the precise powder weight that is best for the group.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #189276 - 05/09/11 09:48 PM

There are a couple of books that I would recommend that could assist you. They are not painfully expensive, and both cover barrel regulation very well.
Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions 2nd Edition by W. Ellis Brown 55$ + 13 S&H

Shooting the British Double Rifle by Graeme Wright. This is a modern classic on doubles and their foibles. Check Amazon.com double rifle books. These two books and others are there.

Calpappus.com and NitroExpress.com are two interesting websites that may help.

Hornady sells ammo, brass, and bullets for this caliber. Nosler, and Woodleigh make good bullets for this caliber as well. Wolverine supplies in Manitoba sell Wooleigh's, and they also know a lot about doubles. They also sell and recommend Graeme Wright's tome on the double rifle.

Lastly; John Barsness recommends 65 grains of H-4350 with a 286 grain Nosler as his go to load for doubles in this caliber. Norma's website can provide you with data for this cartridge too.

Good luck and kind regards.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: albertan]
      #189295 - 06/09/11 06:24 AM

That's CalPappas.com not Pappus. But you're close!
I'd pick a load then adjust the rifle to the load you have.
I thought only 1 barrel was adjusted not both? I haven't seen one of these new ones yet.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: AkMike]
      #189301 - 06/09/11 08:45 AM

Quote:

... I'd pick a load then adjust the rifle to the load you have. ...

I agree. I haven't done this myself yet but I have a friend who has worked up a load in the same cartridge but in an older "non-adjustment screw" Merkel. He ended up coming up with a load that was already listed in Graeme's book. Next time he'll reference Graeme's book first (as will I). Use one of Graeme's listed loads and then adjust the barrel to suit.

I've used Graeme's loads in my 500NE Merkel and the regulation was excellent

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #189303 - 06/09/11 08:58 AM

You BET! is loads are tried and true for DR's!
For my 9.3X74's I've had great 'luck' with 65 grns of IMR 4831 and any 286 grn bullet. Another gent here likes 57-59 grns of RL-15.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: AkMike]
      #190218 - 19/09/11 12:56 PM

I would start the same with any double rifle. Find out what it was regulated with at the factory. By some of that ammo if at all possible. Shoot some over your chronograph to see what velocity you are getting in your rifle. Develop a load that uses the same weight bullet at the same velocity and it should be close to your regulation target. I would play with the adjustment screws as a last resort.
Good luck
Bill

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #190399 - 21/09/11 10:07 PM

Max, don't think you are shooting a heavy barrel 22-250. A 4 inch group at a short 100 paces is acceptable from two barrels. Some shoot better, but 4 inches is acceptable. If the group is larger perhaps it's the Indian and not the arrow (snicker). Hornady factory ammo is available in your neighborhood. Wolverine Supplies in Manitoba would be another source for ammo. Norma in particular. Ken Water's Pet Loads has some info on the Norma made ammo. Norma 201 was the powder they recommended with the 232 grainers. The Norma loading data on the internet would be worth a looksee. The large gunshow in late winter brings in a source for Norma powders.

Kind regards,

albertan

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: albertan]
      #190421 - 22/09/11 03:34 AM

Hello Albertan:

Finally got some time this weekend to work up and shoot the loads for the rifle.

I decided on using the 270 grain Speer HotCor for my rifle. I tried Varget, Winchester's 748 and IMR 4350. Of these three powders, Varget has shown the most promise. I have one load where two shots from the right barrel at 50 metres are overlapping and the two shots from the left barrel are 3/4" appart. The space between the two groups is 3 inches and on the same horizontal plane. I plan to adjust the barrels via the regulation screws to bring this group into a one inch group at 50 metres. Call me anal but I just want it as tight as it will go.

Having fun and going crazy all at the same time. What a life.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: How to work up a load for the Merkel 141 E? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #190577 - 23/09/11 08:36 PM

I believe that regulation within 3" at 50 yds is considered good for a double. Think about the game you want to shoot and the normal range and size of the vital area. Same principal as setting up the "point blank" on a bolt gun. (ie "Point Blank" in the correct sense, meaning the maximum distance that you can point of aim and guarantee a hit in the the "kill zone" eg I recently set up my 375H&H bolt gun for pigs with a point blank of 200yds. The assumed "kill zone" is a 6" circle - my rifle shoots 1 1/2" high at 100yds and 2" low at 200yds and it shoots MOA at both ranges, so 200yrds is the limit in my case.)

Edited by mauserand9mm (23/09/11 08:45 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3521

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com