Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 512Tikka has been bloodied

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JDD
.224 member

Reged: 22/09/04
512Tikka has been bloodied
      #68577 - 03/01/07 03:52 AM

My wife and daughter had me spending the Christmas holidays In the Smoky Mountains this year. I took my new Tikka 512 along. I found a shooting preserve that had cow elk and Russian boar, and a host of other game. I know this is not hunting but it was something to do and a way to fill the freezer. I walked this mountain for two days carrying the 9.3x74 barrel set. I was very impressed by how well the rifle carried and how handy it was. I have reduced both trigger pulls to 3.25 lb. All my shot were on call. I had 8 rounds of 286 gr Norma. The first animal to fall was the cow elk at 90 yards. My shot went through the hart and out in a straight line. She stretched forward but did not take a step, I waited about 4 seconds and put another next to it about 2 “ up and over to make sure I double lunged her. It was not needed. I hate to see an animal suffer. She was dead on her feet with the first shot. I was impressed by the damage done and lack of blood shot meat. As they say you can eat up to the hole. My next shot took 270 lb Russian boar at 80 yards. One shot through the top of the heart. Bang flop. The bullet traveled straight through, but did show more expansion than on the elk. Again you could eat right up to the hole. The cow elk was thin so I was offered a feral pig about 300 lbs. This shot was about 75 yards and placed under the ear. The bullet deflected and took out the first or second vertebrae and came out the front of the off shoulder taking out the leg. The bullet must have come apart; I also had a small hole on the near shoulder. At first I thought I had missed my shot at the head. But I did find a bullet hole were I was aiming. I don’t know if it was a bone chip or piece of the bullet that caused the exit wound on the near side. I would not recommend this bullet for Cape buffalo; it should have tracked straight through that pigs head. Over all I was very pleased with how the rifle has performed.
So far I have take several limit of ducks, some quail, a cow elk and two large swine.
Now to the loading bench.

JD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: 512Tikka has been bloodied [Re: JDD]
      #68582 - 03/01/07 04:30 AM

well done!

sounds like good clean fun to me!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: 512Tikka has been bloodied [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #68649 - 03/01/07 02:25 PM

9.3 x 74 is an excellent caliber and I am sure you will enjoy many more successful hunts with this rifle.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: 512Tikka has been bloodied [Re: JDD]
      #68661 - 03/01/07 03:01 PM

JDD

I used a TIKKA 412S in 12/9,3X74R and o/u 9,3 in Africa on two occasions and loved the gun...still do. Mine was a transitional gun from the Valmet and was designated 412, but is the same gun. I was fortunate enough to find a new one with DT from Cape Outfitters seven years ago in 12/9,3 for a whopping $619.00. After using one for several years, I can say that you will grow attached to this great meat & potatos DR. The kudu was taken with the 12/9,3 set and Norma 285gr Oryx.

Congrats on your successful hunt!! Which Norma bullet load were you using? Their Oryx seems pretty good.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com