Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12ga Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
1pointer
.224 member

Reged: 09/05/04
12ga Double
      #14561 - 09/05/04 11:35 AM

After seeing the pics of a Greener 12ga double in Rifle magazine, I've decided that someday down the road I'll have to have one. Barring buying one of the old masterpieces, how feasible is it to buy a 'modern' 12ga smoothbore and have it rebarreled with rifled barrels (1 in 9 foot twist or so) for shooting roundballs? Is the rebarreling, regulating the barrels and installing sights more expensive than shopping for something with history?? Thanks for any and all information.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 12ga Double [Re: 1pointer]
      #14569 - 09/05/04 08:16 PM

Here's a yarn about a .577 on a Greener action, but the same is feasible with rifled 12-bore barrels. Long-time posters here will have seen it before (several times!).

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/GreenerStory.htm

I have acquired a couple of other Empire Greeners to play with, and intend making a 12-bore double rifle with one, using a pair of E.R.Shaw tubes I imported from the States a while ago. I am procrastinating on this one though, since the only 'proper' way to get the weight and handling right will be to make a new heavy monobloc from scratch (probably a new forend as well!) Phew!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: 12ga Double [Re: 1pointer]
      #14573 - 10/05/04 12:17 AM

Exactly what you are looking for is in the volume fourteen, issue 1, spring 2003, on page 29, of The Double Gun Journal ! It is an article titled Twelve Bore With A Twist . It Greener 12 ga shotgun that has had a pair of Hastings fully rifled, 1 in 36" twist, 12 bore barrels sleaved into the old barrel breech end. The shotgun was an origenal 12 bore with damascus barrels. Quarter rib, and Iron sights were added. Also a pair of Warne QD scope bases were added to the quarter rib, and a 3x Weaver scope added. The tubes are quite thin at the muzzles, and require very carefully heated tubes for regulating. This is best done with bore size externally heated rods placed in the barrels, so they are heated all the way around the tube to avoid warping the tubes. this method acentually turns the barrels themselves into soldering irons! The rifled 12 bore in this article was very well done, and I think, is exactly what you want to do!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

1pointer
.224 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Re: 12ga Double [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #15487 - 03/06/04 10:13 PM

THanks for the info guys!

Dugaboy- Would it be possible for me to get a Xerox of that article??

PS- Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I've been out of town a ton lately.

Marrakai
.416 member

#15489 - 03/06/04 11:36 PM

Hey Mac:
I missed your reply on this one too: Thanks!
I have only just started subscribing to DGJ, our currency exchange rate has been crap for years, none of my mates were subscribing either.

Looks like a back-issue on order!

--------------------
Marrakai

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: 12ga Double [Re: Marrakai]
      #15495 - 04/06/04 01:11 AM

MARAKAI, I couldn't make the pictures come up the first time I tried to read the link in your post above. Today, however, it came in like it was in a magazine in front of me. That is not only a beautiful rifle conversion, but a very well written article, as well! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree, the choosing of a shotgun action to convert into a rifle, or cape gun is not to be taken lightly. Books like Mr.Brown's will get some folks in trouble, because of their choice of actions. The un-schooled, seem to think any double barrel shotgun can be turned into a double rifle with just about any cartridge they can get a barrel blank for. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Your Greener, seems to be a great choice for the cartridge, and pressures you have put it to. Additionally, it seems to not take a back seat to anything in the Buffalo killing department, as well.

Let me ask you one question about the barrel blanks pictured in your post! I notice what looks like pin spanner holes in the breech (chamber)end of the barrels. Are those barrels threaded in to the breech end of the old barrel butts, from the breach end of the shot barrels, or from the muzzle end? If not what is the purpose for the pin spanner holes?

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Marrakai
.416 member

#15603 - 07/06/04 11:18 PM

Mac:
Glad the piccies came through OK. I try to make them as small as possible for quick download, but if the connection is at all slow the dreaded No-Image icon will appear instead!

The pin-spanner holes you refer to are simply felt-tip-pen marks, presumably from the alignment process at ER Shaw's. I should have removed them before posting (with Adobe Photoshop!).

My intention is to thread the barrels sensu Ellis-Brown, and 'tin' them in with 95-tin/5-silver solder. I have used this stuff to re-lay ribs and it beats lead solder hands-down.

Its off-topic (apologies 1pointer) but I tossed up another yarn about hunting with the .577 Greener. Pretty sure I've already posted it, but just in case you missed it! Be patient: the pics should appear eventually!
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/JointOperation.htm

--------------------
Marrakai

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 12ga Double [Re: Marrakai]
      #15605 - 08/06/04 12:26 AM

Marrakai

A nice story and I am jealous of that opportunity. That's a nice Shiela's Pack, complete with Billy. Do you make her pack your Beer also ?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: 12ga Double [Re: mickey]
      #58089 - 01/06/06 05:16 AM

Marrakai,

What is the twist in your 577 DR?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2275

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com