Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Geyger Value?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Bamabow
.224 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Montgomery, Alabama
Geyger Value?
      #41627 - 16/11/05 02:19 AM

A very good fiend of mine's father recently passed and he has come into possetion of a Geyger 8x57 double rifle. A hand written note with the rifle indicates it's pre war about 1934. I know absolutely nothing about double rifles, but it appears to my eye, to be in very good condition and well cared for (clean, oiled etc...). Where could I find a reputable opinion of value for this rifle?

By the way, this is a great forum from what I've explored so far. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Geyger Value? [Re: Bamabow]
      #41629 - 16/11/05 02:45 AM

Hard to estimate value without seeing. I had an Otto Geyger in 8x60RS built in 1929 I believe. Definitely a Best grade double. The 8's can be J or S bores look on the water table and it will tell usually if not you have to slug bores. Handloads are no problem as you have .318 bullets readily available. Value of mine was in the $4000/5000 range. It was a nicely engraved Greener crossbolt action with most of original case good. Bores were perfect and it shot well. Geygers are very well built guns, at least the ones I have seen or read about. Manufacture date will also be on water table (action flats).

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #41630 - 16/11/05 02:51 AM

Sounds nice so far...

Get some photos up, detail the areas where the wood and metal meet, the proof marks under the barrel flats and on the action flats, and any other marks that are on the gun.
What kind of sights are on the gun, is it set up for scope mounts -- are they present, does it have set triggers -- do they still work or need tuning, are the bores ok, have the chambers been damaged, is there a cartridge trap in the stock, what kind of action is it, is it cased -- is it the original case and does it include the original accessories, has it been refinished or restocked...
Lots of things determine the value of a double rifle.

From there, it's condition condition condition...
The group here can give you a pretty fair suggestion on how much the rifle is worth, if you want a complete diagnosis of how the rifle's doing *what kind of shape it's really in* you can send it to a gunbuilder like JJ Prudeau at Champlin arms for an evaluation. That will cost you money.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bamabow
.224 member

Re: Geyger Value? [Re: tinker]
      #41631 - 16/11/05 03:27 AM

Wow, thanks guys! I'll see if I can get some pics posted.

Bamabow
.224 member

#43173 - 06/12/05 03:53 AM

Right, sorry for the delay. I hope the picture posting works.

Here are some pictures of the Geyger. It does not have its original case nor original tools / accessories. Any information on this gun, opinions of value or referals to sources of value would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and thanks. [image][/image] [image]http://[/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1692

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com