Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Searcy Bolt vs. Double Price-wise

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Searcy Bolt vs. Double Price-wise
      #22206 - 14/12/04 06:32 AM

All:

I was perusing Butch's website and checking out his prices (I know the doubles jump $2Gs after the first of the year) but something grabbed my attention.

His PH doubles are going for $9800 and his bolt action rifles are selling for $9500. I know that one of the reasons doubles cost so much is for the regulating of the barrels. That being said, why are his bolts so close in price to his doubles? Are they that nice? Has anyone handled/shot one?

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Searcy Bolt vs. Double Price-wise [Re: clark7781]
      #22209 - 14/12/04 08:04 AM

His bolt rifles are absolutely beautiful, and work like they are supposed to! They are priced no differenty than any full custom rifle made in the your choice of chambering, and also made to fit you, as well. Top notch wood is used in the stocks, and the fit and finish is second to none. The bench time used to make these CRF bolt rifle classics runs very close the time used up in the building of a double rifle of the same quality.

The regulateing of a double rifle durring manufacture is not the largest cost involved, contrary to popular belief. The many man hours spent over a bench with a smoke lamp, file, chisle,of the action fitter, the sand papering , fitting, and rubbing of the wood finish, by the stock fitter, to your measurements. Along with the regulateing by the barrel man, and proofing. Then the whole rifle is turned over to a firearm finisher for the final sight configuration, and the carding, and finishing of the steel, then given back to the regulator to check the finaly finished package on the fireing range. This consists of around 400 man hours of highly skilled artisens, of which there are fewer than a hand full today, and they don't come cheaply.

It is a mystery to me why they don't cost more than they do,considering the skill needed to make them. When you are willing to pay $40K for a car put together by people makeing $35 dollars per hour, who, in many cases couldn't shoot a double rifle properly, much less build one, and the automobile he builds will be in the wrecking yard in ten yrs, and the double, or bolt rifle, will still be shooting properly 100 yrs from now, if cared for! Prorated over the life of the rifle, bolt, or double, the $10K is cheap, IMO!

It all boils down to how badly you want to own a CUSTOM rifle made just for YOU!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #22214 - 14/12/04 10:29 AM

I talked to Butch and know he ENJOYS making doubles more so that might also enter into it.

Ah the anticipation...The barrels on my shotgun portion of my double rifle are almost done, but the final gun won't be ready for Christmas. I'll bring it to the Beinfeld Vegas show for folks to see as I have another one coming that I traded for and will be for sale. Butch will also have a number of guns at the Safari club show the same weekend (but in Reno). Those are two places you can see his guns in January.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #22425 - 20/12/04 01:44 AM

I think Butch's bolt guns may be based on the Vektor magnum mauser action which costs about $3K. Add $1K for wood, plus barrel, etc., and there is only enough left of the price to pay for 2 week of labor.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1581

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com