Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pressure issues, and understanding DR limitations?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Maine USA
Pressure issues, and understanding DR limitations?
      03/03/07 04:07 PM

I realize that this subject has been covered in bits and pieces on this forum, but could we all share info and hopefully clarify, simplify, and put much of it together in one thread? If I’m asking for a repeat on an existing thread or discussion just point me in the right direction and I’ll shut up, for a change! I've been spoiled loading for bankvault tough Miroku built Browning single shots and Win copy levers

I’ve gone back and reread for the 3rd or 4th time the 8 page thread “Building a Double Rifle” started by Judson on 12/10/05 and just found and read Lilja’s back thrust article, plus the 5 links to forum topics as provided by Marrakai, also Real Guns –“SAAMI, … curiosities”, along with other saved pressure articles and charts. Suffering from a case of information overload, but finding there’s lot’s more info out there now, than there was 40 yrs ago when I sat at my dwg. board with Lyman manuals, American Rifleman articles and Powley cardboard slide rule style calculator! How about some clear and concise CUP to PSI to LUP definitions w/explanation of differences and how they’re calculated, with formula and equation info … as imprecise as the conversions seem to be. Also, BAR, how to approximate backthrust without sectioning brass to come up internal base dia, plus anything else which pertains to our particular criteria for determining which centerfire rifle calibers might be appropriate on which shotgun frames. I understand this is an imprecise science at best, but I have to admit that over the years I learned enough about the specific cartridges I reloaded, along with realistic pressure limits of my guns – but never really spent enough time to really study and understand the basic formulas and principles which make this work!

I now have 2 Rossi 20ga outside hammer shotguns and a 12ga also if I need it, a pair of 30 cal barrels for a 30-40 DR project, a pair of 45 cal for a 45-90 project, and ribs and spacers coming. The more I learn about converting shotguns to DRs, the more I question the sensibility of attempting this on a Rossi hammer coachgun. Here on this forum there have recently been new thds started on proofing (both homebrewed & official), failures, legal liability – plus I’ve now also read through most of the old posts. If I’m going to own (and build or modify) a double rifle I’ve decided it will have outside hammers and no extra safeties, be chambered for a traditional U.S. cartridges, and be fitted w/a set of 20ga brls. I chose the Rossi shotguns because they’re readily available and relatively inexpensive, since I planned to start with 2 donor guns – 1 for monoblock and 1 for 20ga brls, fitting both to one action and leaving me w/the bonus of a spare buttstock, action and sidelocks. Though I’m really fond of these Brazilian guns the downside to this plan is that the action is on the soft side (I think) and could possibly fail my homebrewed 30% overload proofing, and even if it does proof I’m creating a litigation liability! Last year I purchased new parts to remove the tang safety and rebounding hammer from my NIB 1895 Win 405 and was advised: “I hope you have it in your will to have the rifle placed in your coffin and buried with left with you. If you sell it … the factory is off the hook and the lawyers are coming after YOU, or even worse, your family after you're gone.” Seemed like good advice, sold the rifle and had a NIB Browning 1895 30-40 (w/no litigation driven safety) rebored to 405 instead – cost more, but got what I wanted and was left with a very saleable rifle! A couple days ago I missed out on a cased Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 w/20ga barrels for $3,500-, more $ than I could afford right now but I’d sell a couple of my Browning single shots and Rossi 20ga’s to make up the difference – easily resellable should the need arise, factory proofed and ready to use as is, and still could later (when my shop is finally set up) manuf. 2 monoblocks from 4140 and add 30-40 and 50-110 brls!

Not quite sure what I’m going to do yet, don’t want to cut up the Rossi 20ga’s and find a Pedersoli – guess for the next month or 2 I’ll concentrate on working our new house, keep looking for yet one more Rossi 20ga (26” brl this time!) or another bargain Pedersoli Kodiak … and in the interim keep pumping you guys for info!

Thanks, Joe (hobbyguymaine)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Pressure issues, and understanding DR limitations? hobbyguymaine 03/03/07 04:07 PM
. * * Re: Pressure issues, and understanding DR limitations? Bramble   04/03/07 01:24 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 647

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com