Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Making a Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
MKETOOL
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/10
Loc: Ohio
Making a Double Rifle
      #168209 - 22/09/10 09:11 AM

Assuming you have all the tools and the ability to make a double rifle. What are you looking at cost wise for parts and how many hours are tied up in the project. I would really love to try and build one, but are you better off just buying one. I would get a ton of satisfaction out of the build, but I am torn. I have just recently got the DR BUG big time and need to make a move. Please let me know your thoughts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: MKETOOL]
      #168222 - 22/09/10 01:07 PM

You would need to budget $1000 for tooling, barrels steel and other various supplies. Then the cost of the wood which could be $200 up to $2000. If you have a set of plans to work from so you won't have to engineer anything ( should read as machinist drawings), your time will run about 300 hrs to do proper job. That doesn't include engraving though.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #168235 - 22/09/10 09:51 PM

MKETOOL,
Even though I have built 5 of them myself, and feel great when I hunt and shoot with them, you can now buy a Sabatti Model 72 in some good calibres like 7x65R and 8x57R for under $3000. Despite the personal satisfaction of building one yourself, I just question whether it's worth it any more. BTW, the Sabatti is a darned nice double rifle for the money.

MKETOOL
.224 member

Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #168241 - 22/09/10 11:25 PM

Thank you very much for your input, although I do have a burning desire to make one, realistically I don't have the time. I was looking at the Sabatti's at Cabelas, and they do look very nice for the money. They were only offering them in the 45-70 and 9.3x74R. I did some research on the 9.3x74R and it looks pretty good for most game. I see that it has been used for all African game by the Europeans for years. Of course I would not want to use it on the big five if I ever do make it to Africa. I would love to use it on all North American game and especially stalking hogs in Texas. My other question is can these Sabatti rifles be re-chambered for a bigger cartridge? The answer is probably no, but I thought I would ask. I am sure the actions are not strong enough to convert the 45-70 into a .458, but that would be great if you could. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #168273 - 23/09/10 10:15 AM

You have to keep in mind that a double rifle is "regulated" to put a left and a right into a small group, at a given distance, with a specific bullet at a specific velocity. If you re-chamber, change the bullet, and up the velocity, the odds are strong that the rifle will have to be re-regulated, no small chore!

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #168276 - 23/09/10 12:19 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much for your input, although I do have a burning desire to make one, realistically I don't have the time. I was looking at the Sabatti's at Cabelas, and they do look very nice for the money. They were only offering them in the 45-70 and 9.3x74R. I did some research on the 9.3x74R and it looks pretty good for most game. I see that it has been used for all African game by the Europeans for years. Of course I would not want to use it on the big five if I ever do make it to Africa. I would love to use it on all North American game and especially stalking hogs in Texas. My other question is can these Sabatti rifles be re-chambered for a bigger cartridge? The answer is probably no, but I thought I would ask. I am sure the actions are not strong enough to convert the 45-70 into a .458, but that would be great if you could. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi MKETOOL,

I suggest that you have a look at the Sabatti website as they have a lot more calibers and models available to choose from. As for changing the caliber.... forget it, it would destroy the value of the firearm, warranty and create a very large headache for an extended period trying to regulate it.

I recently purchased a Sabatti in .450 N.E. 3.25" and the quality is exceptional for the price, in fact I owned a Chapuis at almost twice the price for the same quality. This is due I believe to the fact that they are making an entry into the market place and the price is a good way to get the required exposure.

I would suggest that you select a caliber that as you have stated is suitable for Africa remembering the .375 or the 9.3 is the smallest caliber allowed for Dangerous Game and then consider reduced loads for smaller game at home. With the vast amount of reloading products out there it has allowed this to be done more readily than when I was younger.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #168291 - 23/09/10 02:52 PM

Quote:

I recently purchased a Sabatti in .450 N.E. 3.25" and the quality is exceptional for the price, in fact I owned a Chapuis at almost twice the price for the same quality.

Jeff,

Can you do a "report" on your rifle on a separate thread? If you have done so already, can I have the link.

Photos if you can?

I am particularly interested in how well these cheaper double rifles regulate and am interested in your comments of shooting it, and other owners as well. Do you have any photos of targets shot with both barrels for example?

Sorry to be a bother, but if you are willing to do something like that it would be much appreciated.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #168310 - 23/09/10 08:03 PM

Hi John,

I will do a complete report once it is back from Alex Beer, the reason for that being is Sabatti have a very primitive scope mount which comprises of a flat rail that is the width of the rib on one side and a 3/8" dovetail on the other with a recoil stop cut in. This fits by way of 4 screws and onto this fits the top half of the mount that holds the scope but it looks like something that you would put on a .22 and as the rib is not cut out for scope bases as per the Chapuis, I purchased the "Generic" bases from Recknagel ( via Graeme Spraggon )which Alex will cut into the rib and then we will use the normal Recknagel Q.D. mounts with the H7 rear base which is the same as the 2 CZ550 Alex is building for me as you know.

A problem with mine was that the regulated load is not available in Australia ( the agent was informed of this and Sabatti listened and are now using either Hornady or Norma ) in this caliber not Kynamco.

Using the 480gn Woodleighs ( As regulated ) Alex has found that 88gns of AR2209 looks good but that may still change so that brings you up to date for now but I will do the report on it's return.

I almost forgot, the main "Winge" made by a lot of people was the recoil pad which was as hard as hell and I had Ross Waghorn change it a few weeks after receiving the rifle.

Regards,

Jeff Gray

touchdown88
.224 member

Reged: 06/04/09
Loc: utah
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #168421 - 25/09/10 10:32 AM

I looked at a Sabatti 45-70 today in Cabela's and noticed that the action was quite small. The rep told me that the 45-70's were put on smaller frames. Overall I was quite impressed with the rifle. I shoot a chapuis 470 and for what its worth I think that the quality is comparable. I also tried to get a dealer order me one through USSG but Cabelas has exclusive rights on them for the first 2 years of imports. I'll either have to wait or come up with some extra cash to get them at Cabelas.

JOAT
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: Central NC, just east of Ralei...
      #168495 - 26/09/10 11:44 AM

Quote:

Assuming you have all the tools and the ability to make a double rifle. What are you looking at cost wise for parts and how many hours are tied up in the project. I would really love to try and build one, but are you better off just buying one. I would get a ton of satisfaction out of the build, but I am torn. I have just recently got the DR BUG big time and need to make a move. Please let me know your thoughts.

I've been a member for awhile now, lurking, and absorbing info.

My answer is, cost depends. One of these days I would like to make a really nice, preferably elephant capable caliber, double rifle build from a nice shotgun. Still shopping for a suitable donor, that I can actually justify spending the money for. I may have to farm part of the work out, it's all just in the dream stage now, but should still wind up well under $1,000.

In the meantime I picked up an older hammer double, for $80+. The plan on that one is to line the original barrels with a couple of .45 muzzleloading barrels I got for abour $20 each, chamber for .45 Long Colt, cut the barrels to maybe 22"-24", and viola, got me a double rifle. And, yes, I know, regulating it is going to be a bear. Oh yes, almost forgot, I'm thinking about using just blackpowder loads. So that's around $120 so far. I'll be doing all the work myself, so it won't be much more than that when finished. It'll be used for putting holes in soda cans mostly. I'd like something chambered for a larger caliber, but I know this will stand up to .45LC, so I'll stick with that.

I have a line on a better double, for around $140-$160. This I know will stand up to a large caliber, but I will just go with a .45-70 build. Lining the original barrels again. I figure cost on this should be no more than about $250, max.

I know lining barrels will add weight, but I don't hunt any more, so the only carrying around will be from the house to my vehicle, from the vehicle to the shooting place, and back again, so weight is not a big deal for me.

If I ever get to the position where I can do an elephant caliber double, then I'll do it the 'right' way. Monoblock, express sights, really nice wood for the stock, handmake the stock and forearem, fitted case, the whole nine yards. Which, now that I think more on it, will probably push the end price up a bit more than I originally figured. No prob. At least then if the squirrels around here decide to start rampaging I'll have something on hand that would easily stop them.

--------------------
Theo
--------
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

JOAT
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: Central NC, just east of Ralei...
Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: JOAT]
      #168840 - 01/10/10 09:27 PM

Things change. The elephant caliber double is now downgraded to dream status. All available funds are going to put in a new well pump, and needed extras. The old double I have now is still scheduled for .45LC, BP.. A nice old single I have, .45LC, smokeless, and hot loads. I will have a very nice single barrel next week, .45-60, probably smokeless. To round it all out, am now looking for one more old single, .50-70, BP. Life happens.

--------------------
Theo
--------
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

MKETOOL
.224 member

Re: Making a Double Rifle [Re: JOAT]
      #169138 - 08/10/10 02:44 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I have read Ellis Brown's book since my last posted question. It was full of a lot of great information, but I still have a lot of questions. I don't see a lot of single trigger conversions, so I assume the double trigger is a lot more reliable than the single. I know you should have the bushed firing pins, but are there certain brands of guns that have smaller firing pins that fit more exact that don't need bushed? I also see that the AYA brand guns already have bushed firing pins. Are these good the way they are, and are there other brands that are already bushed? My other questions are what barrel contour is most typically used? I am thinking on making a .405 Winchester or .450/400. Are you typically able to use the existing forearm wood or do you have to replace it? Where is the best place to get barrels? I also saw on this forum that the owner of Crown Press passed away, Is this company still in operation making ribs? I live in NE Ohio so I was hoping they still were around. I hate to bother you with all of these questions, but if you have time to share your knowledge with me, It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Tim

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #169145 - 08/10/10 06:15 AM

Looking at the web site, I am impressed with what I see from Sabatti.
I'd trade a very nice bespoke Golden Age Longrifle or German Jaeger for one in 9.3X74R.
I no longer have a mill or shaper, so I can't make my own breach loading doubles anymore, but I can make the muzzleloaders I am known for.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2080
Calendar Event: 22/09/10

Rate this topic

Jump to