Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Express sight.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Express sight.
      #101835 - 07/04/08 01:16 AM

I have never liked the sights on my Pedersoli Kodiak.
I have been working on an express sight to replace the original sights.
I’m looking for some advise on how to finish it and how make the “V”.
How wide and how deep is the best?
The front sight have 2.5mm (3/32”).

Any advise would help.
Thanks
Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: Express sight. [Re: beleg2]
      #103128 - 22/04/08 05:45 AM

Brownells catalog has a page on calculating sight hights relative to each other.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Express sight. [Re: buckbrush]
      #103130 - 22/04/08 06:12 AM

Gone through the misery myself - open sights are the most subjective things there is on a single rifle - IMO front bead/post is all about opposition - accuracy/speed, however the rear has nothing to do with speed - it is all thoroughbred accuracy - IMO make the bead follow some possible divisions according to position of the bead vs rear - I guess you will have to go throught this yourself - i.e. make the "V" as shallow that bead will seat on the bottom with "ears" coincise with top of the bead and call it a close call - up more - the the middle of the bead will coincise with top of the "ears" makes it a middle range and bottom of the front bead coincise with top of the "ears" make it a "long" range - whatever that means (and all in between) try it yourself...IMO - with 2mm bead in praxis 1/2 bead (1 mm) difference on the end of my 9,3x74R 23.6" Merkel bore/vs rear, means ~ 3" on 100m according to my observation...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Express sight. [Re: 93mouse]
      #103149 - 22/04/08 10:46 AM

Good advice, 93mouse - The way I filed the sights on my 14 bore were just like that. The top of the bead is level with the 'ears' of the rear sight. The bead is about 3/32" in diameter. If the bead is held up with it's centre level with the ears, the zero raises 50 meters over the standing sight's lower zero.
; ie: with the light trail-walk load of 3 drams 3F, the point blank sight is zero'd at 50 meters, level with the ears gives a 100 yard zero, same as lifting the first leaf.
; With the heavy hunting load, the rear leaf is zeroed at 100meters, while levelw itht he ear's tops is a 150 meters zero - same as the first leaf.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Express sight. [Re: DarylS]
      #103225 - 22/04/08 11:50 PM

I finished my sight but have not try it yet (probalby tomorrow).

Sorry for the picture is the best I can do. LOL
The fron sight looks bigger than it is because it is blurred.

Thanks
Martin

Edited by beleg2 (22/04/08 11:52 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Express sight. [Re: beleg2]
      #103233 - 23/04/08 12:33 AM

The angle looks just fine, Martin - I prefer just a bit more angle, though not much - each to his own. It is a very fast sight, and one better suited to aging eyes than any other form of notch. Wide and shallow allows aging eyes to see where the sight must sit, and with a flat faced bead up front, older eyes will fuzz it aorund it's perifery, but it's the centre where the bullet hits. When a blade becomes fuzzy and indistinct, it's main sighting surface is the fuzziest, that important top flat and that makes precise aiming difficult. The notches not only become fuzzy, but blurr out the entire notch inside, making aiming difficult to start with. Too many negatives with notch and blades. The express sight has fewer negatives, therefore is best.
: On top of this, I've been able to consistantly shoot tighter groups with express sights than any other form of open sight. This is contrary to the Gun Magazine's Expert writers who have never used Express sights, but gleefully write they are for close range only & inaccurate.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 816

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com