Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Regulating a "poor man's paradox"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Regulating a "poor man's paradox"
      #20754 - 10/11/04 12:51 PM

I know that there are a number of experts who frequent this board who are knowledgeable about double rifle regulation - I'd really appreciate some input.

I'm hoping to turn my 9.3x74R/12ga/12g (3") Merkel into a poor man's paradox. Currently the elevation of the shotgun barrels with either Forster or Brenneke slugs is the same as the rifle barrel with 286g loads.

The problem is that the barrels cross with both slug types (Winchester Forster's worse than Brennekes) at about 15 yards ie the left barrel shoots about 5-6" right at 50 yards and the right barrels shoots a similar amount left.

It would seem to me that I need a heavier projectile, going slower to move the barrels apart - I thought something like the 600-700g projectiles used in the Paradox or Explorer cartridges in the late 19th century.

Where can I get moulds for heavy 12 bore projectiles;
What load should I start with;
What about round balls;
What cases etc.

I will be using RCBS 12ga dies in a Rock Chucker.

The gun has Briley Series 2 choke tubes and I'm told that rifled tubes will improve accuracy (and would make it more like a "real" Paradox - any comments.

Another option is to have Briley make eccentric unrifled choke tubes which they report can move a pattern 5" at 40 metres but they have never tried it with slugs and i couldn't have rifled tubes - any comments.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Regulating a "poor man's paradox" [Re: AussieMike]
      #20782 - 11/11/04 12:50 AM

You have several issues to contend with here. A pair of shotgun barrels that are properly regulated for shot will typically cross fire with factory slug loads.

When I have run across drillings regulated for this sort of thing, the technique was to regulate the rifle barrel and the left shot barrel such that a slug would hit the same point as a bullet at slug range. The right shot barrel was then regulated with respect to the left barrel such that it would throw a shot pattern to the same point the left barrel did. This meant the right barrel was unregulated as far as slugs went.

If you can get eccentric choke tubes you may be able to come up with a set that will make any two barrels shoot together but all three will be a stretch.

I'd go for both shot barrels shooting a slug to the same point and never mind the rifle as I'd reserve that for long range shots. probably set the sights for the rifle barrel. In fact I'd set the sights for the rifle and then attempt to get each shot barrel to shoot to the sights and accept a little discrpency between them.

Meanwhile, if you are hand loading the slugs try a lighter powder charge and or slower powder while you are waiting for the heavier slugs to arrive.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #20792 - 11/11/04 04:30 AM

You might also try some of the "Low Recoil" slug loads.
I shot some Brenneke low recoil slugs in my wifes 12x12x3006 drilling this weekend and they shot prety good. We have also had good luck with the Remington low recoil slugs. We have each killed a pig with one.

jhrosier
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/04
      #21055 - 21/11/04 04:20 PM

FWIW, I've see double muzzle-loaders that were regulated by filing the muzzles shorter on the outside than on the rib side. The theory as explained to me was that releasing pressure on the side opposite would cause the projectiles to cross at a greater distance.
It sounds kind of radical and I would consider trying it on an old "beater" double before hacking up a good gun.
The couple that I saw were filed back about 3/32" on the side.

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Regulating a "poor man's paradox" [Re: jhrosier]
      #21064 - 21/11/04 07:08 PM

Interesting, it would be feasible if I could get a choke tube that extended beyond the muzzle.

I've been having a chat to Jim allison of CBE Bullet Moulds in Sydney - he has a 730gn "Paradox" mold which casts a .735 projectile. I am going to chase up Briley and see what groove diameter their rifle choke tubes are. jim is very wary about shooting it through anything other than a Paradox.

mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 618

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com