Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

30WCF
.224 member

Reged: 30/10/04
Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun
      11/01/07 05:20 AM

Greetings all, I have posted previously however due to my government job i've been pre-occupied. Anyway my previous post were pertaining to building side by side rifles from shotgun actions. My two builds were sleeving rifle barrels inside shotgun barrels. Both worked well however nothing more than a heavy shotgun. I have since began building a side by side rifle utilizing some of the methods of Ellis Brown. The donor gun is a LC Smith 16 ga and the barrels are fitted (to monobloc) chambered for 30-30 Winchester 26 inches long. I believe I have sucessfully proofed the gun with proof loads that I built from information obtained on this site. I took measurements of the action and barrels as suggested from this site prior to shooting and after shooting with no change. Expecting the worse since the LC Smith is not a preferred choice for a conversion of this type, I shot two more proof loads and took measurements again with no change. I am assembling all my notes and intend to put this project in book form. Ellis Brown's book is a wealth of information however I don't think to much can be written about side by side's. If uncle sam let's me stay state side for any length of time I will keep all updated.
A quick note reference side by side slug guns, I have acquired a Baker 12 Ga side by side with 23 inch barrels, I have fitted with open sights and zeroed in the right barrel to point of aim at 50 yards. The left barrel shot eight inches to the right and elevation O.K. I made a contoured wedge 2 inches long and straped it underneath the barrels with a automotive type hose clamp. From the muzzle end the wedge lays on the underib and extends across the contour of the left barrel, but not the right barrel. It may sound like a knot on a log but its nicely shaped, anyway I began shooting the left barrel and moving the wedge back towards the sling swivel stud. At first I noticed very little movement in POI however as I ajusted the weight of the wedge and position significant point of impact changes occurred. Finally with the wedge 1.75inches in front of the sling swivel stud the left barrel shoots to point of aim. Both barrels group 3 inches at 50 yards. I attached the wedge permanently and now wonder if I have simply found something that is common knowledge or the regulation gods granted me a stay.
Happy New Year to all

Mark

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun 30WCF 11/01/07 05:20 AM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun ALAN_MCKENZIE   16/02/07 11:14 PM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun Marrakai   17/02/07 12:15 PM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun Ron_Vella   17/02/07 11:55 PM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun tinker   18/02/07 03:19 AM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun Marrakai   18/02/07 10:27 AM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun tatwell   29/01/07 01:52 AM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun tatwell   29/01/07 01:54 AM
. * * Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun rigbymauser   11/01/07 06:47 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1537

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com