Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cold steel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Cold steel
      30/12/02 12:54 AM

From: redbeard (Original Message) Sent: 7/11/2002 4:09 PM
Saw a picture of a guy who used one on a buff.Hmm how about it nitro....used what is called a boar spear 19 inch blade 6 ft 10 inch shaft ....want to give it a try

First Previous 2-16 of 16 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

RB

Funny you should mention boar spears. Two weeks ago I looked at some in a catalogue in Berlin!

I am planning to order one, sans the shaft to be sent to me. I want to give it a try on some pigs if they are accomodating.

The boar spear I am considering is a carbon steel blade with a steel cross bar. They might rust if not cared for, but are easy to keep very sharp.

But Buffalo NO WAY!!! I think using one of these I would become a permanent ornament on the Dugga Doys horns.

Maybe you and Mossie could try tackling a blackie with one or two. Just as a test. Or are you considering using one on your Florida trip?

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Here is a link by one of the best knife makers around wonderfull steel 6ft 10 inch shaft and 19 inch spear point and on sale for 70 usa bucks www.coldsteel.com

Going to get one would look good on the wall and was thinking i can get 4 2 per day on my guided hunt in fla next feb so maybe give it a try

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

I am afraid of nothing in the critter dept,after i had my heart attacks few years ago i almost kicked the bucket....you know drift away on the table...I am good now was not my time so not afraid to do nothing hunting wise.They had a guy in there catalog with picture of him and spear with hole in the buff's side with spear

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

I admire the guys with guts like that.I've been up close and personal with buffalo(not hunting)and they are are not so pretty as on TV.I'll leave the spears to you guys.I think a warthog hunt with a spear would be nice or for a bit more action maybe a bushpig.

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Don't include me in mixing a spear and a buff!

I plan to be here longer than 2 seconds after the blade goes in.

I would try mixing it with a boar, warthog or a bushpig though. I think that would be fun.

Would need some good dogs, but not sure if I am fit enough to keep up with the dogs at the moment.

I do like Redbeard's Cold Steel site. They boar spear is the same one I looked at in Berlin. I like all three - the boar spear, the Samburu throwing spears and the Assegai. Lots if other good stuff there as well.

Dantri - why do you say - Warthog or for a bit more action, a Bushpig. Are Bushpig at close quarters more vicious or just bigger?

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Talking about hunting with a spear. There is an article in the latest Safari Club magazine (July / August 2002) about hunting Jaguar with a boar spear.

Titled "The True Tigrero" it is an historical article primarily about Alexander "Sasha" Siemel, a Latvian, that lived and hunted the Matto Grosso of Brazil, near the borders of Paraguay and Bolivia. ( Dantri, don't you have relatives near there? If you go can I be the video camera man?) "Sasha" hunted cattle killing "Tigers" (Jaguars) including the "Assassino" a massive 350 pund Jaguar.

A "Tigrero" is a man that hunts jaguar with a spear and dispatches them single handed.

Over time "Sasha" killed some 300 Jaguars and 31 with a spear.

Great story.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

The thing about cold steel is that the knives like there spears all are made with good steel.Easy to put a edge and keeps the edge.I am knife sharpening declined...I confess its a art i can't seem to get the hang of (thanks god for broad head sharpeners)

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

You fellas got me to wanderen if this spear might work on the south western American Javelnia ,

Recommend Delete Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

I belive it would

Recommend Delete Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Hey Nitro,
Yes the bushpig is a little bigger but ten times more dangerous.They live in family's of up to 20 animals.No dog stands a chance between all those pigs

Recommend Delete Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

This is the Cold Steel Boar Spear and its stats.

Specifications: Boar Spear
Weight:
1.25 lbs. (spear head only)

4.25 lbs. (with shaft)
Steel:
SK-5 medium carbon
Length:
18 1/2 " (spear head only)
13 1/2 " (blade)
82 1/8 "(overall with shaft)
Shaft:
71" x 1 1/2" Premium Ash w/ dark walnut stain

From the ColdSteel.com website

For 200 years, the boar spear reigned supreme as the staff weapon of choice in the forests and often the battlefield as well. Only the invention of reliable firearms in the 18th century could fade its renown. It would have disappeared altogether if not for the decadent tastes of the Northern European nobility. To them, hunting with a firearm was a pale substitute for the thrill of hand to hand combat in the forest with nothing but a spear.

Now you too can enjoy the same excitement with Special Projects modern recreation of this classic spear. Cold forged out of medium carbon SK-5 steel and heat treated to a spring temper, the massive blade is designed to flex under stress instead of breaking. It has an overall length of 18 1/2" and weighs a whopping 11/4 pounds! What's more, each blade comes fully sharpened to a utility edge and features a sturdy reinforcing rib to make it as stiff as possible for maximum penetration. The spear head comes with an extra stout premium ash shaft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the cross bar under the spear head. This is an essential feature of a boar spear. A boar spear is used for stabbing and thrusting, not throwing. A spear without the cross bar is dangerous for this activity, as a charging boar will "walk up" the spear shaft and may still injure the hunter. The cross bar is often a piece of stag antler and I would probably attach or lash one longer to the cross bar so that it is wider than the spear head

Great stuff! Have to get me one of these!

Thanks Redbeard

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Yes i ordered one,I might want to go boar hunting in NC i know a guide that will let me use it.The guide in fla will allow bow or gun only (why don't know )

Recommend Delete Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Red

Have you received it yet? the boar spear.

Drop a line and tell us what you think of it when it arrives.

I intend to order one, but have decided to ensure customs lets it through first, and also see what you think of yours.

I like the samburu throwing spears as well.

Recommend Delete Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Dam blade will cut paper and have added it to wall with the other 2 I have.......I do plan on next year using it

Recommend Delete Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

RB

Please tell more. So it is sharp. Is it nicely balanced? Adequate thickness? Soft metal? etc.

Also 2 other spears - please tell.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Cold steel Prev_Forum 30/12/02 12:54 AM
. * * Re: Cold steel mikeh416Rigby   17/06/03 09:54 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1549

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com