Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The world (Australia) has gone mad

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The world (Australia) has gone mad
      #8873 - 12/02/04 05:31 PM

Found this on another forum and think it should be posted widely including at NE.com

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: FW: Important information on Government proposal to prohibit compound hunting bows

To all,

I hope that all of you are aware of this. You can bet this has arisen from Rye. Please pass it on to the relevant people. ABA, AAA and 3D AAA will need to lobby the Police Ministers on this, especially Senatory Ellinson, Federal Customs Minister and Attorney General I believe.

I will pass this email on to the Shooting Sports Council of Victoria.

Dennis La Varenne

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart.Atkins@ipaustralia.gov.au [mailto:Stuart.Atkins@ipaustralia.gov.au]
Sent: Monday, 22 December 2003 4:43 PM
Subject: Important information on Government proposal to prohibit compound hunting bows

Dear Archery Associations.

This year the Australian Police Ministers Council and officials from the Federal Attorney General's Department has been reviewing the regulation of the use of crossbows within Australia. Crossbow Australia has been following this review and making submissions on this issue to the Council and Police Ministers. As part of this process we have been consulting with the Attorney General's Department on the outcomes of each Council meeting.

At the November 2003 Council meeting, Police Ministers raised a new issue that I believe you should be informed about. The Police Ministers have requested an investigation of the merits of prohibiting the use of compound hunting bows.

In view of the seriousness of this issue I arranged to discuss this issue with officials from the Attorney General's Department on 8 December 2003 to find out more information on this review. Let me say from the outset, that neither I nor Crossbow Australia in discussing this issue with the Attorney General's Department intend to represent the interests of the other national archery organisations concerned but rather to find out initial information for distribution to you so you can be aware of the matter and act accordingly. However, I will continue to discuss these issues with the relevant officials on behalf of my organisation and my club.

My discussions were as follows. I provided copies of commercial brochures so that they could see what types of bows (recurve, compound and longbows) are on the market at present. Through these brochures I pointed out the differences (or lack there-of) between hunting and non-hunting bows. I explained that in many cases the differences are merely the paint schemes. I also explained that hunting was conducted using all types of bows not just compound bows. I also provided them with our summary of current legislative provisions that govern archery within Australia to assist them understand how some States regulate bows and hunting.

It is not easy to see what will be the outcome of this review. They may recommend that there is no merit in restricting the use of compound bows for hunting or they may go to the other extreme of recommending all bow use to be subject to some form of licence or even the use of bows for hunting be regulated.

Next steps. The Firearms Policy Group will be meeting in March 2004 to discuss this issue and report back to the Police Ministers at their July 2004 meeting. This group includes the managers of the various State/Territory Firearms Registries. You might want to discuss this matter with them or the Police Minister in your State/Territory. If you want to contact the Attorney-General's Department their contact person is: Melinda Cockshutt, Firearms, Criminal Justice Division, Robert Garran Offices, National Circuit, Barton ACT 2600.

I will leave it to each organisation to decide how it wants to manage this issue on behalf of your members.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Atkins
Vice President
Crossbow Australia

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: NitroX]
      #8884 - 13/02/04 01:05 AM

In reply to:

At the November 2003 Council meeting, Police Ministers raised a new issue that I believe you should be informed about. The Police Ministers have requested an investigation of the merits of prohibiting the use of compound hunting bows.

Are you guys seriously having problems with crimes being comitted with bows??? Or is this just another "feel good" measure from the uniformed (falsely well intentioned)...........to make them feel safe from an evil object with no mind of it's own????

This is by far one of the dumbest things I have ever herd a government agency study. I wonder how much money is involved. What will they study by the way? Number of hold ups where Compound bows were used? How about the number of bank robberies??? How much money is being WASTED on this misguided study?

I thought we had problems with our liberals here in the States. But apparently it is not as bad as you guys have it in Oz.

Good luck in your fight against this stupidity!

416SW
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/04
Loc: Melb Aust
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: IronBuck]
      #9147 - 16/02/04 08:59 AM

There was a someone deliberately shot with a crossbow in NSW which started all this.

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: 416SW]
      #9158 - 16/02/04 10:27 AM

What about people who are deliberately hit by cars? (rare but it happens) what about people beaten with base ball bats? Anyone ever cut with a knife? Point being...........prosecute the CRIMINAL. But I guess this makes to much sense for todays world. It is a lot easier for the liberals to "feel good" about themselves if they think they are doing something.....in this case going after crossbows or compound bows. The biggest problem I see with all the "good hearted liberals" is that they fail to understand that there is such a thing as evil in this world. And all the laws that exist and any new ones they come up with will never stop this from being the case. Nor will outlawing firearms, archery equiptment or any other man made object for that matter.

You guys in OZ need to fight this stupidity for all you are worth. It will only open the door for even more bans (as if you guys do not have enough already)

Thank God I live in the USA. We have our share of whaco liberals but at least so far they have been kept in check.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#9160 - 16/02/04 11:14 AM

Ironbuck

416SW is right. I think a kid took a crossbow to school and shot another kid with one from memory.

So next thing we have these idiot police ministers all jumping up and down for a ban. These sorts of idiots are ban-happy.
They are ban happy - bullbars, fireworks, big dogs, pistols, cross-bows, compound bows, certain types of knives (yes a bayonet is more "deadly" than a kitchen carving knife ) semi-automatic shotguns and rifles, pump action shotguns, large calibre pistols, long dog leashes (yep in South Aust they banned leashes longer than 2 metres last year ), - the list could go on and on if I cared to try to remember.

People without ideas on how to truly "fix" things, especially that don't actually need fixing.

More likely public servants and politicians on a oppressive contol spree.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/02/04 04:45 PM)

IronBuck
.300 member

#9168 - 16/02/04 02:48 PM

In reply to:

416SW is right. I think a kid took a crossbow to school and shot another kid with one from memory.

Then that "kid" ought to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Put on trial as an adult. I bet your media had a field day with this. The problem with the media, is that when they give so much attention to something like this it gives all the other whack jobs out there ideas about how they can become "a star". I'll bet that the kid (who did the shooting) was portraied as being a sort of victom himself? He should be treated as the jerk he was by the media instead of the "good kid seduced by an evil crosbow".

When I was in high school in the early 80s my buddies and I would take our shotguns to school after rabbit hunting in the mornings before class. We actually had them in our lockers . We even had hunting and fishing clubs in school where the teachers would teach us how to clean and handle firearms (after school club)Imagine that happening today. Never once did any of us ever even think of taking them out and blowing someone away. Why.....because we were raised with morals. We knew (and still know) wrong from right. And we knew that if we did do anything like that .........it would bring shame to our families. We knew if WE did anything like that than WE would be evil. Not the guns, not the bows, not the knives. How could all of this been lost in a little over 20 years time? When is the pendulum of life going to swing back closer to sanity? Hopefully in my lifetime.

(edited by NitroX to correct the quotation ie 416SW corrected from Gryphon)

Edited by NitroX (16/02/04 04:46 PM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #9188 - 17/02/04 12:29 AM

Y'all need a revolutionary war. You have not had one yet so get right on it and straighten your constitution out.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: AspenHill]
      #9886 - 23/02/04 08:41 AM

Ann, they can't have one if they're getting dis-armed bit by bit.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

**DONOTDELETE**

#9897 - 23/02/04 01:52 PM

Most Australians love to have regulations, except when the regulations apply to things that interest them.

For example, NitroX supports regulation of the Financial Services industry. On the other hand people in the Financial Services industry generally support regulation of Gun Ownership.

One of our main anti gun people, Rebecca Peters, covered it perfectly when she said "we will win because 95% of shooters support 95% of what we do, it is only gun ownership and gun use where they disagree with us". In other words the gun owners contribute as much as anyone to the creation and maintaining of a political environment whereby regulation and gov't intervention is both accepted and praised.

Based on the various gun forums I think Americans are similar but the wide distrubution of the population across the whole US makes for a different outcome to places like Australia or Canada where the nearly the whole population is living in a couple of cities and the outskirts of those cities.

NitroX I am not having a go at you as an individual but rather what you represent and unfortunately you are in the very large majority....about 95%

Mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: Mike375]
      #9912 - 23/02/04 05:29 PM

Mike you need to get a grip on reality. Seriously the way to carry on everyone is your opponent or enemy in your mind.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

**DONOTDELETE**

#9926 - 23/02/04 07:14 PM

John,

You are right, most people are my enemy because they want regulation.

Unfortunately they are not an enemy in my mind...they are a reality.

Mike

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: Mike375]
      #10109 - 25/02/04 03:12 PM

This is NOT a pot shot at OZ! But, one of the main differences in attitude that has been traditional for as long as we in the US have been a nation is that we are a nation of CITIZENS, not a commonwealth of SUBJECTS.

I see this in the difference between many Canadians and us here to the South. The Canadians of Western Canada are much the same as we in the American West. Eastern Canadians are living in a different world, altogether.

I hope I have not offended anyone; it sure wasnt my intention, and I feel that this forum is a bunch of free thinkers with a common bond. One we need to guard with every fiber of what is within us. Government isn't the answer, its the intruder.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: luv2safari]
      #10128 - 25/02/04 06:08 PM

I agree with you. Most parts of Australia have a convict "heritage". This is quite evident to me in how the public service and the government think towards the country ie control and regulation.

In this instance instead of recognizing the problems some kids may have socially and in particular the family unit, instead these control idiots just see an area that they have never "controlled" ie bows etc. Hell someone probably said "people can do anything they like. There are no rules telling them what they can and can't do!'

Arseholes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #10132 - 25/02/04 06:27 PM

Nitro,

We're getting our share of those gaping holes here, too...evidence the current Democratic Party front runner...a Kennedy clone, who would dissarm the nation, not just the individual law abiding hunters and shooters...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: luv2safari]
      #10135 - 25/02/04 07:09 PM

PS South Aust does not have a convict heritage.

But unfortunately our government also picked up the same mentality.

This attempt at banning cross bows and compounds is really ridiculous. As they have never been regulated who on earth is going to hand them in if they get banned? And as has been pointed out, how are they going to distinguish between hunting bows and competition bows? I tell you mine will get a flat green coat of paint with some nice stickers pretty quickly.

Again a total lack of any justification. One kid was hurt or killed! How many kids are hurt or killed on bicycles a year?

And what other use would these things be put too? Bank robbers? Maybe mass murder by cross-bow.

Perhaps they are just looking ahead. Maybe when all firearms are gone they are worried about a popular uprising a la Robin Hood.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

SaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: South Australia, Australia
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: AspenHill]
      #19157 - 12/09/04 12:23 PM

Hell yea we need a revilutionary war!

Quick every1 to the duouble rifle cabinet time to start the reviloution!

If somone is going to commit a crime are they going to give two shits (excuse the language) if the gun is illegal or not?

the government has no idea and needs to have the sense beatin into them by a bunch of angry texans HOOAH!

--------------------
Acquiring a milsurp rifle is a lot like dating. If the appearance is pleasing, you pick it up. Upon further examination, if you like the feel and smell of it, you take it home.

kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: SaHunter]
      #19789 - 16/10/04 10:41 PM

i know bowhunting has been banned in Mongolia ,and its a third world country ,soon no doubt to be followed by a ''civilized'' country like Australia ,fox hunting one day what next ????????

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: kos]
      #31037 - 13/05/05 09:35 PM

Viva la Revolution!

We may just have to do that soon, with all the shit that is going on here...

What are we to do about it? We can't have them taking our big game rifles off us next! We should form a NE.com activist group...

As an aside, I couldn't believe it when I wen't to get on a plane at xmas with my fishing tackle bag full of lures (no knives, bait hooks or sinkers i took them out) and was refused to take it on as hand luggage because of the hooks! What, am I going to hijack a plane with a fucken Rapala or 8+ Barra Bait? Then they had the gaul to ask me to pay extra because it had to go as excess luggage!

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The world (Australia) has gone mad [Re: tunofun]
      #31066 - 14/05/05 02:44 AM

In reply to:

What are we to do about it? We can't have them taking our big game rifles off us next! We should form a NE.com activist group...

Seriously in terms of a pro-active strategy we all need to look at ways to ensure big bore doubles or big bores in general are 'defendable' one day in the future. They already have their "precedent", that of banning the larger bore pistols.

Th Big Game Rifle Club is one organisation that we all should support. They do postal target shoots too.

NitroExpress.com is certainly prepared to assist in this process any way we can as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3680

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com