Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Webley and Scott Shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Webley and Scott Shotgun
      #71950 - 19/02/07 11:55 PM

I went back and looked at the Webley and Scott Shotgun this morning.

I am going to assume that double shotguns and double rifles have the same issues.

The serial number of the shotgun is in the 90,000 range. It is clearly off face. It has a some very shiny marks on the water table from barrel contact

The only good reason I can see to get this shotgun would be possibly to build a double rifle on. Is the Webley and Scott shot action a likely candidate for such a build?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Webley and Scott Shotgun [Re: DoubleD]
      #72003 - 20/02/07 12:02 PM

DD:
I'm guessing it's a game gun (rather than a fowler or pigeon gun), albeit a more heavily-built game-gun than some. Check the proofs, if it is only 1 1/8 oz, that's the lighter British proof. If it is stamped 1 1/4 oz, that's better but still not necessarily good.

Look at the lumps. Are they large or small? Some W&S game-guns had very dainty lumps, and common sense would dictate they not be subjected to anything more than their original proof.

I'm also guessing there is no third bite. That would kiss it off for me.

I posted this pic a long time ago: it shows a Greener 'Empire' duck-gun compared with a Hellis game-gun. Both were proved for 1 1/4-oz loads, BTW. Check the difference in length of the action bar, as well as the difference in length and thickness of the lumps. The Greener 'Empire' also has a cross-bolt 3rd fastener, and as such qualifies as a candidate for DR conversion, to 'N-for-B' cartridges and loads only, with care! The other gun is not even in the race. This is my opinion only, and I hope it is clear: I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Webley and Scott Shotgun [Re: Marrakai]
      #72026 - 20/02/07 03:41 PM

The Webley and Scott did have an L shaped extension that I think might have interacted with the lever to lock or act as third fastener. The lugs were smaller as was the action bar...I have now moved on.

I asked about a Greener Empire but they also said R15,000. Bit much for a gun to be later cut up.

They had a Stevens 311. I thought about it since the first goal is to just get a gun in the House.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2194

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com