Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What to do with a classic American S/S?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

MikeDeltaFoxtrot
.224 member

Reged: 17/01/06
Loc: Central Virginia, USA
What to do with a classic American S/S?
      20/02/06 01:51 PM

Last week I became the proud owner of an L.C. Smith featherweight 12 ga. S/S. Based on the serial number, it left the Hunter Arms factory in 1921. It has double triggers and ejectors. It is of course, a sidelock. 30" Barrels choked full and modified. Blueing is about 80%. The wood is in good shape (not perfect, but very sevicable). The case coloring is mostly gone from the receiver, and there is hint of pitting on the lock plates. The action is crisp and locks up tight.

I got a good price on the gun, about $650US. LOP is only about 13.5" as it has no recoil pad. I shot two rounds of trap with it today, and while it was fun to shoot, my results weren't up to par. I usually shoot my Beretta Whitewing, and while I am not expert and I can turn in a 22 or 23 on most days. The Beretta has a LOP about 14.5. I shot a 14 and 15 with the S/S. I think fundamentally I need to add a recoil pad to improve the LOP. I am a big guy: 6'4" and about 215lbs.

I am not concerned about collector value, but I'd like to resore the gun to make it a nice shooter that I can keep and enjoy for a long time. At a minimum I need to fit a recoil pad. I am also thinking that down the road I might get the receiver case colored and the barrels re-blued (rust blued of course).

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. What pad should I use? Can I fit it myself, or so I need to send the gun out. I am someone loathe to part with it, but I want the job done right.

Thanks.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What to do with a classic American S/S? MikeDeltaFoxtrot 20/02/06 01:51 PM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? Peterb   09/11/06 02:07 PM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? mikeh416Rigby   21/02/06 05:50 AM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? MikeDeltaFoxtrot   03/03/06 10:52 AM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? Yogi000   24/03/06 10:42 AM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? Chasseur   21/02/06 01:24 AM
. * * Re: What to do with a classic American S/S? CptCurlAdministrator   20/02/06 11:32 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2533

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com