Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Suggestions requested - what gun to buy
      #68645 - 03/01/07 02:20 PM

Friends,

I haven't bought a gun in some time and the cold turkey is killing me. I have been window shopping and have seen some guns that I like. I would be grateful for suggestions on what to buy out of this list:

Choice no 1. Renato Gamba Ambassador Executive sidelock SxS ANIB gun, 12 bore 2 3/4" with original case and everything. The owner is asking for a price that suggests that he is giving it away - this is a private sale, not from a shop

Choice no 2. The same owner has two Browning Superposeds made in the 1950s, one with a Prince of Wales style grip and the other with a straight one, both 12 2 3/4" guns, the two guns come for the price of the Gamba. They have been used but lovingly cared for and would rate as almost unused

Choice No 3. Two separate Browning A-5s, both Belgian made 3" guns NIB, one with three barrels, one fixed choke 30" for waterfowling, a 28" with interchangeable chikes and a third rifled barrel with a V notch sight. The second Browning with a different dealer is also a Belgian 3" but two barrel set without the slug barrel, also NIB. I am told that Belgian 3" A-5s are rare and the two guns and transfer prices put together would be less than the Gamba or the two Superposeds

My problem:

I have hunted for many years with a Savage-Stevens 12 bore, yes, not a fine gun, but then it worked beautifully and India does not allow imports of guns anyway. These days I have my A-5 which I shoot well with - my trap scores are an average of 18 or 19 x 25 and I really love. She is an oldtimer, a 1956 in very nice shape, and I have posted pictures of her here before.

Or, should I go back to a side by side since I have a nice autoloader and the Gamba is a really nice gun, or should I stick to what I am very comfortable these days and buy two more A-5s? Since the A-5s are no longer made, it might be a last chance of sorts in finding NIB guns of this type. I also have only a 2 3/4" and two new 3" guns would be nice.

And then the third choice - should I try something that I have not done before? Buy two U/O guns in nice shape and at a tiny fraction of the price of new Superposeds/B-25s or whatever they are called these days?

I am really confused and would appreciate all suggestions and advice on this matter. I shall also happily mix cocktails for whoever gives suggestions when they visit Chicago.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #68652 - 03/01/07 02:35 PM

The two Brownings or the side by side Gamba sound attractive.

I don't see the point in owning two or three Browning A5's. Though maybe getting a 3" as well and selling off the 2 3/4" might be a good idea.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #68677 - 03/01/07 03:58 PM

I have only one vintage Superposed, my late dad's 20ga-26" circa 1957 in M&IC with solid matted rib. I coveted it when he was alive and hunting with it, and cherish it now.

That being said, I would take the sxs Gamba if given your choices. I remember when Manlicher marketed them; we sold them at the store. They are excellent shotguns and not commonly encountered. You can always find a deal on a Superposed, if you have patience, and you don't NEED two almost the same. But, when does NEED dictate our addiction?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy [Re: luv2safari]
      #68708 - 04/01/07 01:50 AM

Iff the 2 under&over(superposed) brownings were made in Belguim then I would look no further.
I've just purchased one made in 1962,as new condition,tight as a drum.$1650-00 Aussie dollars.
Couldnt be happier.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy [Re: NitroX]
      #68728 - 04/01/07 05:20 AM

Mehul,

Crystal clear, buy all of the A5’s- it's the nicest of all automatic's

/Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #68736 - 04/01/07 07:27 AM

here's my 2 cents worth ,,,, snap up both of the Browning O/U's and see which one you like the best then pedal the other one so you can start saving for the Gamba.

if you say that the owner is letting the Gamba go at a good price, I assume that you will be getting a good deal on the Brownings as well.

I have a Belgian Browning 12 guage O/U (the first gun I ever owned) and I would not trade it for love or money, it is trouble free and a hnadsome,very well made, shotgun.... you would not be sorry with this selection.

I am not a big fan of autos, Belgian made or not, so my suggestion is certainly biased but you know where I am coming from at least

Good Luck with your selection whichever you chose....let us know how you make out

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #68795 - 05/01/07 04:00 AM

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies. I do like the Gamba from my basic inspection of the gun and it is being offered at a very good price by the old timer who is selling it and the two Superposeds. Unfortunately the two Superposeds come as a set though it may be possible to find someone to buy one of the two and to keep the other one.

DT,

I didn't have a semi auto before I moved to the US and I wasn't sure I would like the A-5 but having shot it more than a little, I really love mine. I briefly had a Remington 1100 but I did not like it as much though it performed flawlessly. The reason for going for the 3 barrel set on the A-5 would be that I live in a shotgun and muzzleloader only state, and, even across the border in Wisconsin or Indiana I would be restricted to this choice only.

I hope to decide soon - tax filing dates are coming closer and that makes the whole cold turkey process even more agonising! Hope to post the results and pictures of what I buy very soon,

Good hunting everyone!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
      #68821 - 05/01/07 07:21 AM

when it comes to shotty guns there is only one type, those with 2 barrels, preferably side by side, and all the rest. My totally unpredijuced opinion of course.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Suggestions requested - what gun to buy [Re: butchloc]
      #68875 - 06/01/07 02:29 AM

Burchloc,

Your reply reminds me of a post I made a long time ago on a British forum where they asked which shotgun was the best in the world in the members' opinions. My unbiased opinion was that it was my old Savage-Stevens 12 bore SxS which I still own and which is in India registered in my name. On a forum where members think nothing about discussing the merits and demerits of Purdays, Bar in Wood MacNaughtons etc, I did have some fun.

Thanks and good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3069

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com