Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ten most significant rifle calibres

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Ten most significant rifle calibres
      30/12/02 12:22 AM

The Ten most significant rifle calibres

What are the Ten most significant rifle calibres and why?

Significant due to popularity, current or historical, perhaps widespread around the world, used to shoot a lot of game, or maybe even influenced the course of history!

Name them and tell us why you think they should be included.

I've got my own ideas but to get the ball rolling I'm name a few that I think should be included (no particular order):

(1.) 8x57mm - the grandfather of the modern cartridge and numerous cartridges based on its case

(2.) The .303 British - a competitor to the 8x57mm - widespread use throughout the British Empire and Commonwealth

(3.) The 8x33mm Kurz - the cartridge designed for the first "assault rifle" and fore-runner of the 7.62x39mm.

(4.) .375 H&H Magnum - if you wanted one rifle to hunt anywhere in the world and especially Africa, this cartridge would probably be the one to choose. Its introduction also led to the demise or almost demise of most of the larger calibres then in use.

(5.) 7.62mm Natio - based on the 30-06 (see no. 6) - widespread use as a military and commercial cartridge

(6.) .30-06 Springfield - probably the medium hunting calibre, which others are judged against. Even though today there are a lot of "magnum" 30s, the 30-06 probably out sells them.

(7.) 7.62x39mm - the "infamous" Soviet cartridge widespread in ex-communist countries and their third world client countries

(8.) The .22 rimfire - of course

(9.) the 500/450 3 1/4" NE - one of the first smokeless big game cartridges

(10.) 458 Winchester Magnum - a cartridge which has lost much of its gloss, but at one time it close to replaced the NE cartridges in Africa for big game (especially when ammo was hard to get)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell us what your thoughts are, these or other cartridges and why.

Nitro

First Previous 2-4 of 4 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

You forgot the 4570 and the 3030 both have killed everything from men to deer to buff in the good old usa.I belive for this country were the cal of choice for many many years besides the 3006

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Redbeard

I agree entirely with you on the 45/70.

I left that one for you to suggest .

The 45/70 is a calibre that can claim to have "won" a war, truly "won" the "West" and destroyed a people. 45/70s were used mercilessly to destroy the great Bison herds of the American prairies thereby eliminating the main food and supply resource of the plains Indian. Allowing expansion from the East to continue.

Also not a bad close range brush calibre.

Personally not convinced on the 30-30 though. It is a popular calibre in the US but IMHO nothing extraordinary nor revolutionary.

But I can see many people would include it in their top ten.

RB - which ones would you take out of my list, or what would you say are your top ten?

Anyone else have any opinions? Please share.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

1. 4570
2. 3006
3. 2506
4. 308
5. 270
6. 303.......I have a mark 3 that i had cut down and redone and shoots like adream
7. 444
8. 223
9. 243
10. 22mag
11. 8mm
12 7.62 x54
Thses are some of the cals that i have and use.The 4570 is my favorite and the 243 least.I know use it for ground hogs.Most of the cal that i have are single shots excpet for the 308 which was a garande which i had changed from 3006 it now use's m14 clips and 12 power scope and van hit ya out to 400 yds easy

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Ten most significant rifle calibres Prev_Forum 30/12/02 12:22 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2250

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com