Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Following Urdubob

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Following Urdubob
      #9392 - 18/02/04 05:00 PM

Hello All
I've deceided to also leave the AR Big Bore Forum and try things out here.
My interests are in building and shooting really Big Bore rifles as well as African Hunting. I'm a resonably advanced amateur Gunsmith and my main claim to fame is the .600 Overkill( basically a belted .600 NE designed for high pressures). I recognize many of the posters here and just want some decent folks to chat with without having to deal with the insanity from Mike 375 and ScottS. Hopefully things will be quiter here and we can exchange experiences and knowledge.-Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: Robgunbuilder]
      #9395 - 18/02/04 05:17 PM

Hello Robgunbuilder,

Welcome to the forum.

I think AR has run its course and is headed for parts unknown.

I am one of the early members, #64, and its really been a bummer watching it evolve, or devolve as it were, over the years.

You'll find the atmosphere here much more pleasant and there are certainly some well recognised names here as well as a variety of expertise.

I followed many of your posts and your contributions will be a benefit to all of us here.

Nice to have ya.

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: Holmes]
      #9396 - 18/02/04 05:37 PM

Rob. welcome, now post some more pics of those dragoon slayers

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9409 - 18/02/04 06:30 PM

Oh-oh. Nitro, you better watch for the trolls as they just might sneak in here also. I know you said that you'd never ban anybody but I think you should make two exceptions to that rule. By the way R, welcome and join in the stampede. As I stated previously, this site is nice and peaceful except a couple of excited guys but that has calmed down.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: 475Guy]
      #9412 - 18/02/04 06:43 PM

Welcome Rob, we all start fresh here. So far the only post that was deleted was one NitroX put up that one of his moderators pulled the plug on.

Looking forward to both yours and Ed's loudenboomers.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: mickey]
      #9419 - 18/02/04 07:01 PM

In reply to:

So far the only post that was deleted was one NitroX put up that one of his moderators pulled the plug on.

Bloody moderators.

Turn your back for two days and they stage a coup. I've found the mediaeval practice of taking hostages works.

PS What's wrong with a photograph of a guy spelling the word PETA on the ground with several dozen kangaroo heads

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
      #9426 - 19/02/04 12:14 AM

This is where all the bigbore Knowlege has gone? Hope no one minds me posting. (im tonto from AR) I am just starting at rifle building. Ive take DG with a 458. So I have a little to offer.
Got my 470capstick brass last night. Should have some pictures of the magbox im building for the project this weekend.
Rob know any place to hunt hogs in calf? Wife wants to go to a family wedding in May. Aint much for weddings but sure like to shoot hogs.
If you continue to have troll problems you could set up a group at yahoo. the guy who does it controls who can join and ect.
Dean

Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Re: Following Urdubob [Re: NitroX]
      #9445 - 19/02/04 02:53 AM

Thanks guys- It's nice to have a discussion wihout having every post interrupted and/or hijacked by ignorant morons.
I'm currently building a .50BMG light rifle for FCSA competition. It has a 3lb carbon fiber stock and my old Lilja heavy class barrel on a Mcmillan action. I'll be testing it out soon.-Rob

urdubob
.224 member

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: deant]
      #9446 - 19/02/04 02:53 AM

Hi Rob and Tonto!

Tonto tell use about your Elephant.

Please,

Urdubob

--------------------
God Bless Rhodesia and God Bless Ian Smith.

Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Re: Following Urdubob [Re: deant]
      #9453 - 19/02/04 04:19 AM

Tonto- Will get your brass out tomorrow. There is lots of Boar hunting in the Hunter-Ligget area I hear. I've also shot some nice ones outside of Livermore. Up North there are Blacktails and Turkeys. If your out in the Bay Area I'll let you shoot any of my Big Cannons.-Rob

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
Re: Following Urdubob [Re: urdubob]
      #9460 - 19/02/04 05:49 AM

Rob
My inlaws are from the San Deigo area. But I am planning on if i go I will take a few days and head north to get away! If you know what I mean. Can you hog hunt in May-june? A bigbore hog hunt?
Urdubob
I hunted Zim in Sept 03. I got my buffalo after 4 days. I hunted with my PH from SA we both hunted with Peter Baker he was hunting out of Russ Broome Safaris. Peter loves to hunt elephant! I was hoping to have time for a PAC elephant. Not only did I get to hunt elephant Peter spent 3 days tracking and showing me some very nice bulls. We were looking for 3 younger bulls that had hurt some people at the local clinic. But they had moved on. We then started looking for a group of elephant that had a very old bull a very old cow and a young one with a bad leg. The two older animals were becoming quite aggresive. It was agreed on that when we found the group i would take the first to offer a shot. We cut the trail one evening and decided to come back in the morning. It was easy to tell it was the right group by the one dragging its leg.
the next morning we took up the track and after 3 or 4 hours we located the group. Its amazing how one minute you see nothing then 30 animals start to appear right in front of you. We glassed them from about 100yrds. The first we saw was the old bull. He was huge with both tusks broke off. We worked in for a shot but they started to feed in our direction and we had to move out down wind very fast! When they stopped the bull was now in the center of the group. After a bit we located the old cow and the far end. We worked up into about 30 to 40 yards. I hit her just up and behind the leg I was surprised to see he stumble and buckle at the hit. I got a little worked up and short stroked the gun but she went about 40 yrds so another shot was not needed.
I hate to say it but I was using the no good 458 win mag hand loaded 450gr barnes at 2150+fps.
I will say if I was told I could only do one more hunt in my life I would choose elephant in a second.
Dean

Rob01
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/04
Loc: Connecticut
      #9466 - 19/02/04 06:53 AM

Hi all. I'm not completely giving up on AR yet but when I saw this site on the post made by Urdobob I figured I'd check it out. You can never have too many websites to go to to get good info. So far I like this site alot. See you all around

PAHunter
.224 member

Loc: Allentown, PA USA
      #9507 - 19/02/04 03:14 PM

Hi Fellow AR Posters:

So this is where everybody went.

It seems that this board, AR, HA and a few others all use the same software. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just thought that there would be different setups.

Don't look now but I just saw a post from a nemesis from AR. They are all ready here.

I used to be a Sysop and ran my own BBS for about 5 years, sometimes you just have to delete the trouble makers. It is the Webmasters wishes we follow. It's rather simple, if you don't want to play by his rules, you are not in the game.

Hope things work out here...

Regards Jim P.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com