Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions about adding lead to the stock--

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
csutton7
.275 member

Reged: 17/02/05
Loc: SF, CA
Questions about adding lead to the stock--
      #27842 - 16/03/05 10:38 PM

Ok--I just picked up the used CZ 416 rigby I bought off of Gunbroker.com and I can feel and hear the lead rattling around in the fiberglass stock, so I have some questions regarding lead as I've never owned or handled a stock such equipped--

Is it normal to be able to hear and feel the lead move--I have this suspicion that you shouldn't ---

there's lead added in the forearm and butt--I can see two 1" or so round cylinders that have been installed into the forearm, but the Pachmayer recoil pad prevents me from seeing what's happening in the butt and I can really feel and really hear the lead in the butt--

the forearm lead rattles a little--one could live with this as I'm not sure what you could do except try and remove which may ruin the stock totally(yes I know it may be toast as it is-you need to read on to see what I mean)

I was thinking I could drill a small hole on each side of the butt and use some foam and fill her up--(what am I out if the stock is already toast--read on)

The stock is broken right in front of trigger--that little pc of wood or fiberglass that's between the trigger and mag box--I believe this was unknown to the seller(he had bought it at an estate sale) and I have yet to hear from him concerning this-but doubt I have any recourse--should I add a hidden cross bolt and glass in--I think I should and why not at this point--what can it hurt??

the stock is full length bedded and it looks to be a McMillan, but there are no markings that I've found so far, so I really don't know who made the stock, so that I could send it there and see if they could fix it or??? but with all the work done to it they may say you're on your own anyway--

any and all suggestions are welcomed--at this point I'd like to save the stock even if it means it will be ugly-it's a hunting rifle like all my rifles--I do have a factory stock off of a CZ 375 h&h that I may check and see if I can make work--not sure it will drop in, but maybe it will with a little coaxing--

the rifle has had some work done to it for sure--3 pos safety and possible trigger(I forgot to look at the trigger when I separated the action from the stock and I forgot to check for the set trigger function also, but I will later), barrel band, new sights, barrel shortened to 22" and a checkered bolt handle added, so even if the stock is toast I think I still did ok, just not as OK if the stock would've been tight----chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eric
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- [Re: csutton7]
      #27852 - 17/03/05 03:42 AM

Chris; Just take the pad off and see how the lead was installed in the butt. It is possible you can put epoxy around the lead in the forend and butt and glue it in place. Make sure it comes level to the butt and it should not be able to shift around. Use modeling clay and build the area of magazine box and trigger inlet. I would use a short screw section or key stock for the new web and build it up with agraglass and steel wool or steel bed from Brownells'. They re-inlet for the magazine box and trigger with a dremel tool rougher and then files untill you have clearence and a good fit. Good luck with stocking. Eric

csutton7
.275 member

Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- [Re: Eric]
      #27867 - 17/03/05 10:08 AM

Eric--thanks for replying--I don't see any screws to remove the recoil pad, that's the reason I may drill and foam--on another note the guy called me who I bought the gun from and is going to try and find out some more info on it--he was selling it for a friend of a friend of a friend type deal, so maybe I'll get some real life info and possibly contact the person who did the work and see what's really in the stock--chris

510Wells
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: Gold Bar, Wa.
      #27876 - 17/03/05 12:35 PM

Chris,

It sounds like you might have Mercury recoil reducers instead of lead in the stock. Does the sound (kinda) like a sloshing (SP) sound? or a rattle. If sloshing it's Mercury and I think they work better than just lead. In either case nothing should be loose.

Roi

--------------------
The only constant is change.

Member DRSS

Edited by 510Wells (17/03/05 12:36 PM)

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #27877 - 17/03/05 12:51 PM

In reply to:

I don't see any screws to remove the recoil pad, that's the reason I may drill and foam

A lot of synthetic stocks have the pad glued on, not screwed on. You would have to cut the pad off to get inside.

If it sounds like small marbles rolling around, it' probably lead, but i would think that you could feel a weight shift with lead.

Mercury makes a sound, but it sound more like - well, a heavy liquid... kinda like motor oil moving around in a can.

I would think that the crack in your stock could be fixed with epoxy (by a compitent gunsmith) or if it is a mcmillan stock - send it back to them... i bet they'd fix it.

you're going to completely f-it up if you drill a hole in the side of it though.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

csutton7
.275 member

Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- [Re: new_guy]
      #27898 - 17/03/05 05:45 PM

I got rattling and clunking--no slosh or weight transfer roll if you will--

the rattling may be just the nature of the beast with the lead pellets, but the clunking can't be right--can it???--

the clunking seems like it could be fixed by drilling one or maybe two 1/4" holes in the side of the stock(just big enuff for the straw nozzle to fit in) and let loose with some foam that doesn't expand too much--this would anchor the lead container from moving and making the clunk noise--I could then just paint or epoxy over the hole--or even use some hi powered silicone that we use in construction to seal the hole--I can't see what detriment this can be to the stock--

I tried to call McMillan today but was too late--I'll try tomorrow to see what their warranty says about stocks that have been modified--I'll be surprised if they say send it in--chris

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #28592 - 30/03/05 06:37 AM

At any rate it needs fixing...may require a new pad installation, may not, depends on how easy it comes off..Its a job for a gunsmith, not an amatuer IMO...

csutton7
.275 member

Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- [Re: atkinson6]
      #28605 - 30/03/05 12:55 PM

Ray--too late--I drilled three 1/4" holes in the 3 areas where the lead was moving and filled it with foam (I didn't want to remove the recoil pad)--the epoxy(or whatever was used)and pellets were moving around and some pellets fell out--all different sizes of pellets--after I drilled the holes you could see the whole gob move back and forth, but no more--I may end up with a Brockman's or another McMillan in the near future, but at least I learned a few things and with the stock not being perfect in the first place it didn't make sense to send it to anyone to muck with---I'll keep a close eye on it while shooting it---chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com