Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Compatibility sizings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Compatibility sizings
      #110180 - 22/07/08 05:50 AM

Please I do you a question, first for forgiveness and good will I bother to object to my question can we shoot safely cartridge in a 458 Winchester Magnum rifle recamarado in size 458 Lott?. I believe that by being shorter cartridge 458 Win Mag can cause damage in the bedroom of the 458 Lott.

Thank you very much,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigger_is_best
.275 member

Reged: 16/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Compatibility sizings [Re: ovny]
      #110186 - 22/07/08 02:31 PM

Yes, the 458 Lott can fire 458 Winchester Magnum. This was good for users who might need to get extra ammunition on a hunting trip and find 458 Lot hard to find in some countries. Jack Lott probably did this deliberately, as the 458 Lott was untill recently considered a proprietary cartridge (only available from one small maker). Proprietary ammunition is often hard to find, and this can make the guns that use it unatractive to traveling hunters, since without ammunition a gun is just a bueatiful but expensive club.
In smaller calibre guns, particularly .22, the use of short cartridges could leave the chamber enlarged ahead of the case mouth. I have an old Remington model 12 like this. It makes the long case hard to extract. BUT, this gun was used for "demonstration shooting" and fired many many thousands of rounds, most with corrosive primers, perhaps even with black powder.
How many thousands of rounds will you fire in the 458 Lot in a lifetime?

ovny
.375 member

Re: Compatibility sizings [Re: bigger_is_best]
      #110189 - 22/07/08 03:00 PM

You are quite right, very few shots I'm going to do with this rifle (when I acquired it), so the best thing to worry me in vain. Thank you for your response reassuring and wish you good day.

Regards,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #110775 - 31/07/08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Jack Lott probably did this deliberately

He says so in his article on designing the cartridge, published in Gun Digest (?) at the time. This is the reason he shortened it somewhat from the full .375 H&H length of the parent case.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Compatibility sizings [Re: Marrakai]
      #110777 - 31/07/08 02:12 PM

It would be a good idea to clean the chamber thoroughly and frequently. I shoot .44 magnum revolvers occasionally with the shorter .44 special, and likewise the .357 magnum with .38 specials. I will notice the longer magnum cases are stiff loading in a dirty cylinder after shooting the shorter specials. I have not experienced this with the .458 lott, but as I stated in the beginning, It seems like a good idea. I do it with mine. An ounce of prevention...

--------------------
One day at a time...

ovny
.375 member

Re: Compatibility sizings [Re: bigmaxx]
      #110787 - 31/07/08 02:41 PM

The 458 Lott is a caliber that I like, because it has the possibility of further firing the 458 WM. But I always doubted whether Lott buy 458 or 416 Rigby. Doubt dissipates the price of ammunition cartridge 416 Rigby. Incidentally Bigmaxxx, how can tell me any good article on the Internet from 458 Lott?.

Thank you.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #110813 - 31/07/08 11:52 PM

The REASON you can safely fire .458's in a Lott is due to the chamber shape. Normal chambers have a sharp step, then a 45 degree angle to the leade at the front end of the chamber, not so the Lott. The Lott has a gentle slope, much like a handgun's chamber instead of the 90 degree step and 45 degree aslope.

Shooting .458's in a different long chamber, as in the .450 Watt's will result in guidling metal being shaved off into the chamber itself - not a good thing as the bullet jacket material will weld itself to the chamber and be difficult to remove. Removal of the excess material will be necessary before being able to safely shoot full length ammo again. As noted, this won't happen in the Lott (or handgun) chamber.

Coupled with shaved brass in for instance the afore mentioned Watt's chamber, because material is removed, a weak spot will result, not to mention the accuracy problems - again, not so in the PROPER Lott chamber.

If a calused gun smith simply uses an old unaltered Watt's reamer to chamber your Lott, it will not have a true Lott chamber and therefore will shave jacket material if short ammo is fired. Dave Kiff at Pacific can re-grind the Watt reamer's to cut a true Lott chamber.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ovny
.375 member

Re: Compatibility sizings [Re: DarylS]
      #110829 - 01/08/08 05:09 AM

Daryl, hello and thank you for the answer, the truth is that because the translator of google, I did not understand very well your answer. The only thing I think you mean is that the shoot 458 Winchester Magnum, is not harmful in a rifle from 458 Lott Is this so? Thanks and feel to be so clumsy.

Regards,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com