Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big bore project for a lefty

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
SubDoc
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/05
Loc: Silverdale Washington USA
Big bore project for a lefty
      #88770 - 12/11/07 02:05 PM

I would like to build a 416 Rem Mag bolt gun and am stumped as to where to start. As a lefty there are few platforms to start with. Savage/Remington/Tikka/Sako are the only really available commercial actions. The custom stuff is too pricy for my enlisted mans paycheck.
I owned a Savage custom 375 H&H but that went down the road to finance a Winchester 1886 50 Express short rifle.
I'd like to have a weather proof Alaska/Yukon Pacific Northwest all around big bore.
Input is appreciated.

--------------------
What they could not do at gunpoint they now accomplish in courts of law with men in black robes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: SubDoc]
      #88771 - 12/11/07 02:50 PM

Based on what I've been reading, Remington is definitely one to stay away from for customizing-they tend to need too much work done to make them a "good" custom rifle. As far as the others, I know people who are pleased with Savage rifles out of the box, that might be the action to use if you want to save money-I know I've been impressed with what you get for the money in a Savage, don't know too much about the others.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: SubDoc]
      #89128 - 17/11/07 12:59 AM

SubDoc

If one can still be found since their demise I would go for a Winchester Model 70 L/H safari Express, minimal conversion work will be rquired if you can pick up one in say .375H&H, the last versions I saw here in the U.K needed some tricking up as they came from the factory, a number of real quality issues going on which may partly have led to the demise of the make, but they do offer a realistically priced entry level rifle for a south paw, I have one myself in .330 Dakota and a .375 based upon the cloned Dakota 76 action again in L/h, several firend also have model 70's some l/h to which they have had some bedding work carried out and other than that use them as standard.

The action is perfectly suited to the .416 Rem and assuming a .532" bolt face model is used there would not need any opening up of the bolt face for the .416 Rem. Nicky Blunt of Tanzania uses a Proctor built lightweight Model 70 based .416 Rem for all his back up work both in Tanzania and CAR and rates it very much.

The Remington action would do at a pinch, many people use them perfectly well, although mostly in calibres sub .416, I always prefer the controlled feed type actions for calibres .375 and up, although push feed will work just fine if the rifle is set up to feed correctly. At the end of the day it is a case of pay your money and take your choice, but if it were me and if the option of ordering say a modern made Mauser Clone such as a Prechtl or Hartmann and Weiss in left hand were financially not an option, then I would plumb for a Winchester.

Just my thoughts.

Jonathan

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #89130 - 17/11/07 01:49 AM

If the Winchester action (which is not magnum length) will work, then the Ruger "long" (not magnum) action should also. They advertise a left hand stainless/synthetic in .338 magnum; I'm sure one of those will be much easier to find and quite abit less expensive than the Winchesters.

If you don't mind proprietary cartridges, I think they are going to make the stainless .375 Ruger in a left handed version.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: taw1126]
      #89147 - 17/11/07 07:19 AM

I have a SAKO LH Finnbear in .375. Fabulous rifle. I suspect one could fairly easily be converted to .416, but though I have nothing against the .416 and it is a really awesome cartridge, if I found a .375 SAKO in an LH version and it fed and functioned just fine, I'd leave it alone unless you are 100% certain about the skills of your gunsmith. I'd rather have a dead reliable .375 than a converted .416 that might be.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89957 - 28/11/07 09:47 AM

I found, not one, but two Mod 70's on Guns America in left hand 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner) for a reasonable price of $1295 US. While not cheap, considering the availability of Magnum Mod 70's in left hand, the price seems at least fair. This rifle could easily be converted to 416 Rem with a re-barrel job and some tuning of the feed rails/ramp.

I bought one of the last left hand Mod 70, 375's to come out of Winchester about 2 years ago. I had been waiting for ±25 years for them to come out with this gun and now they are out of business. What a shame. I have not had the quality problems mentioned by JTOMLINSON, but I have not shot the rifle enough to really ring out any problems. We will see.

Unless I am mistaken, Remington offers a left hand Mod 700 in 416 for similar money to the upgraded Mod 70 above. I prefer the controled feed of the Mod 70, but Remington has sold many, many 700's in all calibers and they are at least still in business. In fact, I have an old HS Precision 280 Rem on a 700 action. The extractor broke once, but all in all, it has been a fantastic rifle accounting for many deer, antelope and hogs.

I know you don't want to go the "custom" route, but an option might be to look at an action from Montana Rifle Company. They make a modified Mod 70 style action in 4140 and/or stainless for around $600. A barrel job and fiberglass stock would push the price up, but buying it a piece at a time might be a little easier than the "all in" move.

That is what I am doing right now. I bought the MRC action last spring, and am having it barreled in 458 Lott now. In the spring or summer next year, I plan to finish the project with a drop magazine and fiberglass stock. Time is not really a factor. I can wait.

Anyway, that's enough from this corner............good luck in your search.........Lee

SubDoc
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/05
Loc: Silverdale Washington USA
Re: Big bore project for a lefty [Re: wellplugger]
      #90064 - 29/11/07 01:54 PM

I am contemplating the a bit a a time. It makes more sense and allows me to get what I want rather than settling.

--------------------
What they could not do at gunpoint they now accomplish in courts of law with men in black robes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com