Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magazine follower for Left Hand .375H&H M70?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Magazine follower for Left Hand .375H&H M70?
      #49809 - 12/02/06 04:03 PM

I have a Winchester M70 Safari Express in .375H&H Left Hand and I am after a magazine follower for this rifle , does anyone know of a aftermarket follower? I am also replacing the extractor with a Williams spring steel one as the factory one is cast and I think it would lose its "flex" after a while . Thought I would make this rifle as reliable as possible as Winchester is no more and parts may be impossible to get in a few years especially in Australia

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Re: Magazine follower for Left Hand .375H&H M70? [Re: RLI]
      #49902 - 14/02/06 06:34 AM

If you mean a true left-hand follower [i.e. mirror image of the factory one], no. Nobody seems to make them. If you're dealing direct with Matt Williams, you could ask him about the possibility though. Jim Wisner is another possibility - he does RH followers for Pre-64 M70's - see here . Jim will know what will fit what.

If you're ordering direct from Williams [which I recommend - good mob], consider getting a couple of the extractors. You can do this, and still stay under the US$100 export license threshold, for the same postage cost.

Could be handy if you ever lay hands on another LH M70, and go for a big-bore rebarrel. And yes, I did do this, but I'm hanging on to the spare matte stainless extractor!

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Magazine follower for Left Hand .375H&H M70? [Re: Gadge]
      #49905 - 14/02/06 07:10 AM

Thanks for the lead on Wisner and Williams, I notice Williams extractor is $ 27 and Wisner is $55. I will go with Williams and get one for my LH .30/06 M70 also.

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Re: Magazine follower for Left Hand .375H&H M70? [Re: RLI]
      #50021 - 15/02/06 07:28 PM

Yep, the Williams has worked well for me. Wider choice of material and finishes, too. Not that Jim Wisner makes any rubbish, either.

I ordered my extractors before Williams set up their online ordering [quote by e-mail, faxed C/card details], so I was dealing direct with Matt W. I requested them sent by USPS Global Priority Mail [this is for items up to 4 lbs], and that was no problem then - cost US$9.00. They use UPS as their preferred carrier now, I see.

It'll be interesting to see the opinions on Matt Williams' action [including LH variants] , if he ever gets it into production. It was supposed to be on display at the Las Vegas SHOT show this month, but Williams Firearms Co were a no-show.

Guess he has serious business viability worries, with the Winchester plant closure announcement - he supplies USRAC with their one-piece steel bottom metal, as on your rifle, and some other bits. Including his extractors, for the most recent M70 production runs.

How's the bore on your rifle? Mine is very rough on the top of the lands - had to get some Wipe Out to get the copper out. Sweets patches were still coming out blue after about 6 of them! Am currently trying the benchresters' 'shoot one, clean' to run it in - if that doesn't work I'll have to lap it [ugh].

There have been only two batches of these LH .375's produced - mine was from the first batch, which had a lot of QC issues. Asked Frank O'Reilly's about problems with this batch recently, and they said there were a lot - rings on bolt faces, misaligned scope mount screw holes, and of course the bores.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2143

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com