Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex
      #17635 - 06/08/04 12:43 PM

Hi guys, I got my VX-III 1.75x6x32 in today. I ordered the heavy duplex reticule after seeing one on an older Vari-X III scope and seeing the photo in the Cabela’s catalog. I was very surprised with what I got. The reticule looked nothing like the example or the older scope. The heavy lines were very close together; only about 3/16th or so wide and the “thin lines” were not very thin at all. I’m asking because 1st the reticule is not what I thought it would be and 2nd I’m concerned about the reticule obscuring too much of the target.

The scope is going on my CZ 550 safari in 375, and will be used mainly as a DGR. Looking threw the scope through trees and heavy cover I do like the fact that the lines do not disappear as they do on some scopes, and to that end I feel the reticule will be great for fast target acquisition, in low light conditions. Whoever will this “thickness” of the fine lines reduce overall accuracy? Did Leupold change the reticule? Am I concerned about nothing?

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #17639 - 06/08/04 05:09 PM

Nope! that is how they are, and they are fantastic for DG, low light and fast picking out the vitals in a hurry. Great minds think alike as thats what I have on my Sako .375 I will admit though, it makes it a little bit tougher to pick off those prairie dogs at 600yds.450Dakota

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #17667 - 07/08/04 09:42 AM

Yeah, I would rather have a reticle that is a bit on the thick side than one that is too thin, especially for DG.
About 20 years ago I bought a like new 2-7 Leup really cheap because it had the tiny floating dot reticle which as you would know is useless for hunting.
I immediatly sent the scope off to the states to have a different reticle fitted.
I'd always used the standard duplex type but because I now had a choice I decided to have the CPC type reticle fitted.
Big mistake!
I found that shooting in thick scrub, especially in low light and on running shots, I could not pick up the cross in the center of the CPC reticle anywhere near as well as the duplex type.

Actually I'm trying to locate one of the first release Leupold 1.75-6 scopes for one of my doubles.
The one I want is the short tube version, not the later E model, as it just happens to suit the ring location on that particular rifle.
Anyone know where I can buy one?

The heavy crosshair is not ideal for precision shooting at long range but is often preferable for many other hunting situations.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #17691 - 08/08/04 08:36 AM

Hauptjager
I have 3 Leupold scopes with the heavy duplex. A 1.5x5 on my 375 Blaser Tracker bbl, a 1.75x6 on my wifes 308 Rem Mod 7, and a 2.5x8 on my 9,3x74R double. As you can see I like the heavy reticle very much for hunting big game. I have takes a coyote at 271 yards with the 9,3. I have not found the thick reticle any hinderence for long range shooting of big game. I had a 2.5x8 with a standard duplex on the 9,3 at first, I much prefer the heavy duplex for big game. The standard duplex was mounted on a 223 Blaser bbl.

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: NE450No2]
      #17695 - 08/08/04 11:58 AM

Thanks to all for the info. I just needed to hear that I got the right scope before I put it on the CZ. I feel much better about the scope now.

--------------------

Hauptjager

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: 4seventy]
      #17701 - 08/08/04 06:58 PM

Hey Dude, I have one of the shorty 1.75x6 w/the heavy duplex, as new. I do not see any marks on it.

It's for sale!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: Will]
      #17707 - 08/08/04 09:05 PM

Will, I've sent you an email.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: 4seventy]
      #18535 - 28/08/04 06:44 AM

I see absolutly no advantage to a heavy cross hair in a DGR, they simply cover up too much stuff IMO...The std. duplex is the best reticle every made and will work under any conditions...the rest is hype..

Harry
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: atkinson6]
      #18586 - 29/08/04 07:26 AM

I don't agree with hype. I have several with the HD duplex and have a number of Zeiss with the hvy. reticule. Lots easier for me to pick up and esp. in low light situations.
Anything you PERCEIVE that works well for you should be used even if in fact it works no better.

--------------------
You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #18601 - 29/08/04 05:38 PM

All the dangerous game I have shot with a scope I have shot with the VariX in 1.75-5 with the heavy duplex, and has worked just fine. I've been burned by the thin crosshairs disappearing for the last time.

And because I cannot keep my mouth shut, it aggravates me no end when some people claim that they want a "dangerous game" scope but are worried about the heavy duplex covering up too much of the target.

Dangerous game is shot at relatively close range, or should be, so what is the point of thin crosshairs? One does not need absolute accuracy in a dangerous game rifle, and if the crosshairs are covering up so much of the game that it isn't accurate you are too freaking far away!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex [Re: Will]
      #18656 - 30/08/04 02:38 PM

good point. I shot the 375 today with the scope in question and I found no falt with it. Yes you cover of your previous shot (hole) however I dont plan on needing sub MOA on a DGR. I no longer have any question I made the right choise.

--------------------

Hauptjager

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #18688 - 31/08/04 07:16 AM

Will,
Horse hockey, I have shot some dangerous game at extended ranges and I have never had the standard cross hairs "fade out" in my hunting career...and I still think heavy cross hairs are hype however I sure don't mind you using them are getting perturbed, I know you'll get over it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3906

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com