Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullet Opinions Requested

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Bullet Opinions Requested
      28/09/05 08:11 AM

I am looking for an All-Round bullet for my .375/06IMP.
: Presently I am sighted for: 235 Speer Hot Cores at 2,845fps, 300gr. Hornady RN at 2,470fps and 285Speer Grand Slams at 2,520fps. All go into 1-1/2". Delete the 235gr.'s 3 rounds from that group and the other 6 go into 1" at 100 meters. It is very accurate, obviously, and using only 56gr. powder, recoil is soft.
: Quarry - Muley & Whitetail Deer maybe - primary Moose and Elk with big chance of running into a grizzly (in this area) coming in to the shot as they are now want to do. Rifle shots are now called dinner bells.
: I believe the bullet choice should capable of handling the most dangerous of the bunch, that being the griz., but it also must expand properly on the lesser beasts. Grizzlys have been spoken of in the same context as the big 5 (by White Hunters who have huted in Canada and Alaska) and almost as dangerous as a Cape Buff. if poorly hit, of course. On the other hand, they can be killed with many lesser ctgs. but .338's on up do the best job. Most game guide(those with experience) I know of use .375's or larger (in Alsaka)for back-up on bear hunts.
: Now, Woodleighs, I would really like to try in 320gr. weight, but just aren't available here that I know of. I would prefer a 300gr. or heavier RN for all-round shooting & at below 2,500fps, the Hornady's would probably do the job just fine - on everything, but I haven't shot anything with the new Interlocks, so can't say for certain. The older RN's were a bit soft, even on moose. I 'Know' the GS 285gr. would be good all-round, but the damn things at over $60.00 per 50, a bit pricey, but OK for just hunting.
: This is more an exercise in the thought process than anything. This is a round that runs 4,000'# to 4,250'#, or about the same as the .338WinMag. factory ammo.
: Before building up this rifle, I've packed .458 2" and now my .458Alaskan with 400gr.SP's and "X" at 2,300fps when backing my Daughter's .260 Rem. I've decided the .375 would be nice for a change - and am interested in what the exerienced fellows here have to say.
: So - what are your suggestions?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Bullet Opinions Requested DarylS 28/09/05 08:11 AM
. * * Re: Bullet Opinions Requested ALAN_MCKENZIE   28/09/05 01:17 PM
. * * Re: Bullet Opinions Requested luv2safari   28/09/05 10:52 AM
. * * Re: Bullet Opinions Requested DeishuAK   28/09/05 09:42 AM
. * * Re: Bullet Opinions Requested DarylS   29/09/05 02:06 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2053

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com