Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!!
      #152906 - 05/02/10 02:12 PM

The words of XAUSA below: (Note the Enfield Action!)

The three cartridges are all wildcats I developed. The one on the left is simply a rimmed version of the .450 Watts, using .375 H&H Flanged Magnum cases.

The one on the right is a rimless .577, using .577 NE cases trimmed to 2.5" and the base turned down to form a rebated rim.

The one in the middle is my .505, with a 570 grain Kynoch solid displayed in front of it.

The other picture is of me with the first elephant I took with the rifle/cartridge combination.

I called the cartridge the .505 SRE (for Short Range Express). There was also a .375 LRE and a .416 MRE, which I abandoned as superfluous, and the .577 is the .577 VSRE (Very Short Range Express).

I used a Dayton Traister trigger and cock on opening conversion unit plus a Lyman 48 receiver sight and a Williams ramp and Redfield sourdough front sight to complete the project. The stock is by Fajan. Back in 1970 the choices of sights and accessories were quite limited.

As you can see, the stock has practically a negative drop. This proved it to be a good design feature, when firing off a magazine full of rounds in short order.

XAUSA and his 1971 Kenya Elephant taken with the 505 Short Range Express

Below we have more photos of the rifle and cartridges

Edited by Altamaha (06/02/10 03:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: XUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!! [Re: Altamaha]
      #152918 - 05/02/10 05:23 PM

Altahma thanks for sharing looks like a great idea that really did work.

Regards,

MOG

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!! [Re: Cinghiale]
      #152938 - 06/02/10 12:37 AM

Quote:

Altahma thanks for sharing looks like a great idea that really did work.

Regards,

MOG

The stock idea is fantastic and should IMO be chased by others. I have never fully swallowed the whole hook, line and sinker about what shape a stock should be, particularly about the need for lots of drop "on a gun to be fired from the shoulder". Seems like if a guy can comfortably see the sights that is all that matters, especially if by design the gun can be built to direct recoil forces away from the face by keeping the muzzle down, or otherwise.

As an encouragement to others who might want to "have at it", some years ago in order to eliminate face impact due to a neck condition of mine, I took a hoof rasp to a factory HVA stock, removed everything that came near my cheekbones and found the result to be one of the easiest shooting guns I'd ever fired. I'm sure others have dispelled a few other ideas about stock design and what works, even if it only works for themselves and/or a few. Bill's looks like a pretty good winner for a lot of folks.

This is what I really enjoy about Bill's project.

He formed an idea, took what was available, went to work and then took the finished product out and proved its worth!! And the final result is hard to beat!

There are always those who form baseless opinions, some who copy other's ideas, and those who won't accept anything but what somebody else says works.

XAUSA ignored the mainstream and built a model for all of us to emulate!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #152940 - 06/02/10 01:00 AM

Right, I love that stock also. And to echo 9.3x57, the key is to build the stock such that it fits you! Not everybody on the planet.

I like drop and cast off for positioning, although drop does not help to the ease the recoil! My statue problem is big wide cheek bones combined with a long neck so I need the drop and cast off for sighting, without cast off the recoil from the big bores is like a boxer's punch to my cheek. My first 458 (a factory M70) would cut my cheekbone after two shots, not a fun rifle to shoot.

XAUSA built the rifle back when components for big guns were hard to find, so he should be commended for a job well done. I find it interesting that he was so far ahead of our exponent rifle friend that makes so many claims!

Edited by Altamaha (06/02/10 05:49 AM)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!! [Re: Altamaha]
      #153005 - 06/02/10 10:41 PM

Yes, I'm inclined to think that people who say rifles for off-hand shooting should have more drop forget there is such a thing as higher sights.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: XAUSA and his 505 Short Range Express!! [Re: Altamaha]
      #153018 - 07/02/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

XAUSA built the rifle back when components for big guns were hard to find....

"Componants were hard to find" is putting it mildly. At the time I built this rifle, John Buhmiller was the only source for .500" or .510" caliber center fire barrels. When I built my .577, there were no .577 center fire barrels available. Another shooter and I had to split an order for multiple barrels (10) from a barrel maker in Colorado in order to get him to tool up for them. Then, the delay was interminable, despite our paying for the work up front.

Finally, I was rescued by Les Bauska, who had taken over John Buhmiller's barrel making equipment after John passed away. After I didn't need them any more, I finally got the barrels from the Colorado maker.

Quote:

Yes, I'm inclined to think that people who say rifles for off-hand shooting should have more drop forget there is such a thing as higher sights.

They also forget that shooting a rifle with significant recoil off hand is not like shooting a .22 caliber from the same position. This is why my stock measurements came off my favorite international skeet gun. I use the same position shooting a rifle like mine, designed for instinctive shooting, as I do with my shotguns: weight on the forward foot, head forward, rifle brought up to the cheek with the butt firmly located on the shoulder.

I have seen shooters in high power competition shooting their AR15's with the toe of the butt stock resting on top of their shoulder (forbidden by the rules), or with the toe of the stock just barely engaged with the pad of the shooting jacket. Other shooters, using match rifles, have the adjustable butt plates lowered to the point that the effect is the same. All very well, when shooting at paper, but hardly the position for the hunting field, dangerous game or otherwise.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4617

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com