Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
375 Ruger Article....Boddington
      #68270 - 29/12/06 09:30 AM

Many of you will have seen this but for those who have not

http://www.sportsafield.com/FAQ/375Ruger.htm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #68313 - 30/12/06 02:19 AM

Quote:

For myself, I’ve been a fan of the .375 H&H since long before I acquired my first one forty years ago. I remain a fan, but when I have a choice I believe I will choose the .375 Ruger.

What else was he going to say? Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: AdamTayler]
      #68323 - 30/12/06 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For myself, I’ve been a fan of the .375 H&H since long before I acquired my first one forty years ago. I remain a fan, but when I have a choice I believe I will choose the .375 Ruger.

What else was he going to say? Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I am not sure that the paid endorsers have much of a choice anyway.

jsl3170
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
Loc: Maine, USA
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #68330 - 30/12/06 05:15 AM

You know I can agree with the poster responses that recommend not biting the hand that feeds you. Has Boddington gone the way of the paid shill? Why do all of these gun mfgs feel the need to run out another 375? Oh yeah, the shorter action. Someone go to deerstalker.com and see the article concerning the improvement of the 375 (they slow it down of all things not speed it up!). At the end of the day I suppose everyone needs to make a buck and a new and improved cartridge seems to be the way to do so.

In fairness, I have yet to go to Africa unlike our faithful writer of the aforementioned article so I'll hold all opinions until I can speak with experience. Nontheless, it seems to be an attempt to reinvent a wheel that by all accounts has been rolling along quite nicely for over 90 years.

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: jsl3170]
      #68353 - 30/12/06 11:57 AM

Next thing there going to do with it is neck it up,or neck it down.Who cares.What gets me is if the .375 Rem.ultra mag. works so well why didn't they just bring back the 404.Going for the big stuff over there or over here (Bears).Myself I would rather a .458 something.Dave

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #68385 - 31/12/06 12:04 AM

Dave -

I believe Ruger has resurrected the .404. Many believe that a .458 Ultra (.460 G&A) gives the .458 caliber optimum performance with a 500 gr bullet, while the larger capacity of the .460 Weatherby would work better with a heavier bullet. When I had my .375 Ultra built, I was looking for a cartridge which would produce .375 H&H velocities from a 20" barrel. I got what I was looking for with a little to spare, in that I can get about 100 fps more from my carbine with a 380 gr Rhino then is possible with the same bullet in a long barrelled .375 H&H.

If this new Hornady/Ruger .375 cartridge gives hunters true big game capability in an affordable rifle, what can be wrong with that? What makes the .375 H&H successful is it's ballistics, not it's cartridge. Tradition dictates what cartridge produces acceptable ballistics, but neither the chronograph or the game knows the difference.

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: AdamTayler]
      #68390 - 31/12/06 03:23 AM

Boddington knows who pays the bills!!

Is the 375 Ruger a winner?

If I were buying a 375 caliber I would certainly look at the 375 Ruger when I wanted a shorter,lighter,handier rifle with 375 ballistics.

Does it have the romance of the 375H&H?? Nope!!No Way!!

Still I think it a rifle I would reach for in NA or if not going to Africa.

A SS polymer stocked 375 Ruger 8.5 to 9 pound Bolt with a quality scope would be very appealing.I think if you come up with a better idea you have to use it and see if it works!!

Will it survive?? Hard to say as Alaska/Africa would be its prime places of use.

I think I like it!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: hoppdoc]
      #68393 - 31/12/06 04:57 AM

Were I to buy a new .375 - Like Boddington, it would probably be the Ruger too. Am I likely to buy a new .375 rifle - not bloody likely.
: I'd merely build another and probably a wildcat on the 8x68 case, just like I did before, or maybe a .375 Chatfield Taylor. Both use easy to come by brass, normal Mauser action like a MK10, FN or VZ opened for mag cases.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: DarylS]
      #68395 - 31/12/06 06:05 AM

Quote:

The only fly in the ointment is that recoil also goes up exponentially. The .375 Ruger is a hard-kicking cartridge. It is nothing like the .378 Weatherby Magnum, of course, but it does kick harder than the .375 H&H. In the Ruger Model 77 this is mitigated by a good, straight stock. On the other hand, it is exacerbated by the fact that, in its .30-06-length action, it can be built lighter than a .375 H&H (especially if you use a shorter barrel as well).

Even though I think Boddington is a paid mouth piece and I expect him to shout the company line, this statement in the last paragraph got my attention. That's pretty strong language for a cheer leader.

Could there be an issue with excessive recoil in this new cartridge?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: DoubleD]
      #68399 - 31/12/06 07:34 AM

I think this thing only makes sense if you are going to be shooting 350 grain bullets.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: bonanza]
      #68401 - 31/12/06 08:29 AM

John Barsness just purchased a Ruger Hawkeye chambered for the 375 Ruger. He bought it off the shelf of a local gunshop himself, Ruger did not send the rifle to him to evaluate. He confirms the case size is as Mike and I reported and differs than his editor Scovill reported in Handloader magazine.

Barsness Post
Look for the post from "Mule Deer" with the signature John Barsness

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: DPhillips]
      #68405 - 31/12/06 10:50 AM

Interesting coments by John. Thanks for posting that link.

--------------------
Daryl

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: DoubleD]
      #68408 - 31/12/06 12:00 PM

Could it have EXCESSIVE RECOIL ??

You betcha! If they max the load they can best the 375H&H by
200 fps.Personally I think that would be a mistake!!

I think they need to load it down to 375 H&H velocities.With a wider more efficient powder column it should have the same recoil in a similar weight rifle with the same barrel length or possibly even less.Like many others here I don't think loading it up gives benefits worth the recoil endured.

As stated above I would load it down to 375H&H velocities, load it with a North Fork bullet and put it in a lighter weight rifle.More recoil? Yes, but what a great combo for backcountry packing.

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (31/12/06 12:03 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#68436 - 01/01/07 03:54 AM

My 9.5x68 also beat the standard H&H factory loads easily & then some, just as the .375H&H can beat factory loads easily using handloads.
: Recoil is virtually identical.
: Gun design and weight dictate what the recoil will be like.
: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
: Both the new .375 Ruger and the 'old' 9.5x68 have better case shapes for burning the powders we use today. That they may be somewhat more efficient is the simple result.
: Are they better? - that depends on the measuring stick used.
: As with most topics today, emotion seems to play a large part in our 'thinking' to the point of dictating our direction.

--------------------
Daryl

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #69390 - 13/01/07 02:12 AM

The rear sight Ruger is using looks pretty good.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: 500grains]
      #69698 - 18/01/07 04:45 AM

500grains - spot-on. I do like that sight picture. Now, if the stock is appropriately shaped for them, there's really no need for more than a really low mounted 2X to 4X scope, if at all.
: I've done excellent work to 300 meters with express sights & see them as the ultimate hunting sight. They are excellent for accurate paper shooting as well. The firnt bead just sits in the bottom of the "V" and no problems with, 'is it centred' - it's always centred - "bang/flop - oh what a relief it is".

--------------------
Daryl

jsl3170
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
Loc: Maine, USA
      #69952 - 22/01/07 02:51 PM

Hello,

Getting back to the point of the thread; I was reading in one of the gun rags that the new Ruger round was advertising a 200 fps gain over the redoubtable H & H. However, the article went on to dispute the claim citing some test or other. The basic gist was that in order to get the additional 200 fps out of the new cartridge the psi would have to be around 95,000 versus the 62,000 or so generated by old faithful. Would this not result in potentially sitcky (no pun) extraction problems under certain conditions? If so, would someone please offer a reasonable explanation why such a cartirdge is actually needed? BTW, please do not cite time required to operate a standard versus magnum length bolt action or the supposed greater efficiency of a shorter, fatter powder column in light of the H & H's exemplary field record.

I just don't see it. And if it should be that no reasonable argument exists then why don't we simply say enough is enough? Who was the writer who put it to paper a while ago and suggested we reduce the number of cartridges out there rather than increase the number simply because some fool believes a cartridge should be develped to fill a perceived performance gap between a couple of magnum whatever whiz bang cartridges?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #69958 - 22/01/07 04:01 PM

The only reason is commercial - as oppsed to need.

The same could be said for SOME OF the WSM and WSSM's.

I agree, the proliferation of cartridges is just ridiculous
and make selling them for shops even harder - ? what do you stock ?

So many options of guns, ammo etc.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: 500Nitro]
      #69978 - 22/01/07 10:58 PM

Meet the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan--

Ugly but effective!

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/NewProducts/HM77RSPHAB-A-S.pdf

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#70072 - 24/01/07 10:37 AM

You're right- there is no need for the .375 Ruger. Nor is there a need for any of the .300 or 7mm magnums. The majority of hunters in the field do not have the accuracy capability to effectively shoot big game animals past about 250 yards, or even that far away. To that range, the old .30/06 or even .308 Winchester does the job just fine and is more accurate in most hunter's hands.
: There many more calibres available than needed, only because there is a market for them and people to buy them. Of course they aren't needed, but they are wanted.
: I didn't need any more than 2 or 3 rifles for all my shooting needs, but I have them because I wanted them.
: Does anyone want a .375 Ruger? We'll see, won't we.

--------------------
Daryl

hoppdoc
.400 member

#70124 - 25/01/07 12:29 AM

Technically I doubt few hunters with several rifles from varmint to large game NEED any more guns.

I guess the question is whether the small percieved advantage of the "new" outfit gives enough benefits to warrant a purchase.

Saying that and having had a 300 mag I sold it and have since procured a 300 ultra mag for long range shooting and a lighter shorter 300 WSM to carry about the Rockies. Did I NEED them-NO. Are they worth the expense? To me-yes.

I will also freely admit that the 375 Ruger bolt carbine in Synthetic stock is very appealing for Alaskan bears/big game.I have a perfectly fine 338 WM and would't take my wooden stock 375H&H up there. Hmmm---

A minimum basic 4 rifle battery--a 22 LR, 22-250, 30.06, 375 H&H, and a shotgun plus possibly a 458 Lott would take on anything hunted but why restrict ourselves?That's the fun of shooting/hunting!!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#70199 - 26/01/07 11:32 AM

Exactly - most of the rifles in the battery overlap others. That's the fun of it all. I can't imagine living in an area or country, that restricted the use of rifles - like Siberia. I've a friend there who is allowed shotguns only & they're so expensive, for a First Nations person to own more than one is practically unheard of. Interestingly enough, they are allowed to reload their own shotshells. Most people wouldn't believe how badly ammo performs at minus 35F - a mild day in the winter there. Minus 65 most of the winter.
: You wouldn't believe how they hunt bear and you certainly wouldn't want to be the least experienced hunter on that hunt. He is used to 'draw' the bear out of it's den. It's OK though, they have a rope around his waist and pull him out depending on how loud he shouts.

--------------------
Daryl

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #70220 - 26/01/07 03:03 PM

... A bit like the old days, trolling for gators...

375 Ruger, I want one; I NEED one. My back is getting so bad at times that I can't wait to get a couple of pounds off the sling, and the 375 Ruger might just be the answer for me. I might just hold out for the 416 Ruger.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: luv2safari]
      #70844 - 06/02/07 12:50 AM

Hornady was going rifle booth to rifle booth at the SCI convention, showing the new 375 round to gun makers and giving dummy rounds away to introduce the cartridge to see if there was any interest in it.

The round will make for a slightly shorter action on bolt rifles and is appealing from that perspective as well as its 6% increased case capacity. having said that, i dont know if this round will catch on, you rarely hear the term "375" without thinking that "H&H" is implied even if omitted.... it will be a tough nut to crack.

my thoughts on the matter.......

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 375 Ruger Article....Boddington [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #70850 - 06/02/07 01:16 AM

slightly shorter action on bolt rifles...?

How much is it really going to make a difference ?

Any comments ?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6925

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com