Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recoil Lug Under Barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Recoil Lug Under Barrel
      #25188 - 26/01/05 09:19 AM

I have posted this in the Gunsmithing forum but am putting it here as well.

I have a question for members regarding what type of barrel mounted recoil lug is better.
I have a 458 Win here which needs to have an extra lug fitted (silver soldered) under the barrel and bedded into the fore-end wood.

I can do this by making the lug invisible from the outside where it is simply bedded into a recess in the forend.......or
I can "tie down" the lug to the fore-end with a screw and bushing where the screw passes through a bush in the bottom of the fore-end and enters a thread in the lug itself.
The lug, of course, would be glass bedded in both options.

Which method would be best remembering that this is a DG rifle to be used mostly at short distances where accuracy is not the major issue.
The main concern here is strength and reliability and the extra lug is being fitted to attempt to prevent the stock from splittin/cracking.
Of course other critical areas will receive special bedding attention but this thread is all about the extra barrel lug.
To tie down or not to tie down, this is the question!
What do you think and why?
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Recoil Lug Under Barrel [Re: 4seventy]
      #25440 - 30/01/05 09:48 PM

Leaving accuracy aside no difference.

Well, I suppose if you wanted to be a bit academic about it and were going to fire the rifle a lot, then tie down would be better because the without a tie down the lug will move in the bedding and wear it. But that would only make the most micrcoscopic difference. Altgough you can over come that by having the rifle bedded with upward pressure on the forend tip.

If its a rifle like a Model 70 or Rem 700 you don't even need the barrel lug with a bedded action with a 458.

If you want to kill a couple of birds with one rock then:

1) Do what Weatherby do and put the second recoil lug on the konx form of the barrel so it is only about an inch in front of the action lug. That takes cares of the accuracy without a tie down.

2) Depending on the action this will need to you to alter the action....you have have what amounts to a strap that is epoxied into the forend and the action recoil lug is bedded into a slot at the end of the strap. On a Weatherby for example about a 1/4" is machined off each side of the recoil lug so the lug can fit through a strap that is not to wide for the stock.

If this is done and set up properly then from that day on you treat the rifle as a 222. You can have full floating barrel etc.

The above is the way you go if you want a switch barrel big bore. Or you might just want to change your 458 to 416 Remington and the job is no different than rebarreling from 308 to 243.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com