Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
One more "What would you use for ...with a twist.
      21/06/10 09:21 AM

I'm off to South Africa Aug. 2. There's a large Tom leopard feeding on local meat up near the Limpopo river, and the outfitter asked me if I wanted to take it. I of course said yes.

Now, here's the interesting part - I'm not taking a rifle. My main artillery will be a 6.5 inch bbl Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum with Hornady 500-gr. soft point ammo. Optics will be a red dot.

The PH called me last week, said he can hold the cat for a while, consequently I've been running like crazy to get ready.

Why so fast? Well, this is a chance to hunt with my revolver which I dearly love to do. I plan on taking other animals like bait animals, bushbuck, warthog and possibly a kudu - all with the S&W.

Here's the question ...

What handgun would you take to Africa if you couldn't take a rifle? Bolt action, 16-inch bbl, single-shot, hand-operated rifles don't count. Got to be a handgun caliber. No one-off .600 Nitro single shot either.

What do you think of my choice? I could take a .44, or a .454, or ... Let's say I have lots of choices, but picked the 500.

And, yes, I can shoot it. Minute of orange at 50 yards off sticks.

I'll be back around Aug. 22. The story should appear in "Dangerous Game Hunting Magazine" within 6 months.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. poprivit 21/06/10 09:21 AM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. NitroXAdministrator   21/06/10 11:39 PM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. poprivit   22/06/10 05:13 AM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. shakari   22/06/10 05:40 AM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. mikeh416Rigby   21/06/10 10:00 AM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. tinker   21/06/10 11:43 AM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. shakari   21/06/10 04:25 PM
. * * Re: One more "What would you use for ...with a twist. Ben   21/06/10 09:30 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2477

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com