Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Resident hunting in Southern Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
dearmer
.275 member

Reged: 14/10/05
Loc: Cape Cod, MA
Resident hunting in Southern Africa
      #107162 - 10/06/08 08:09 PM

Here's a question that has been on my mind for quite some time. I know that in some former French countries in West Africa one can hunt without a PH (Chasse Libre) but this pertains to people from outside the country.
Can a resident in say Zimbabwe, Zambia, or Mozambique by a license and hunt such as one does in the States? I don't live in Africa (at least not now) but it is a question that has often been on my mind.

Thanks,
Josh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Resident hunting in Southern Africa [Re: dearmer]
      #107183 - 11/06/08 04:27 AM

It varies from country to country. In SA for example, the residents can and do go on biltong hunts where they usually take the cull animals etc and cater for themselves etc. Trophy hunting is available to them, but is outide the budget of most locals.

In Tanzania, they can buy a limited licence for some species and hunt certain designated areas, usually outside the game reserves. There are also some species they're not allowed to hunt under any circumstances. For example, they're not allowed to shoot red duiker........ why that is, I've got no damn idea!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

dearmer
.275 member

Re: Resident hunting in Southern Africa [Re: shakari]
      #107224 - 12/06/08 02:45 AM

Thanks for the response Shakari.
When you say trophy hunting is available to locals in SA but usually outside their means are you referring to hunting on private game ranches or does the Govt. set higher prices for trophy game licenses on public land?

In Tanzania does the limited license allow for any dangerous game or is it strictly for the smaller "meat" species?

Does anybody else have any insight into the laws in other countries?

Thanks

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Resident hunting in Southern Africa [Re: dearmer]
      #107228 - 12/06/08 05:25 AM

In SA most of the local hunting is done on privately owned farms. Some parks have controlled hunting areas where they auction hunt packages but most of these are taken by outfitters who then sell on to overseas hunters. Whilst locals are allowed to buy these hunts few can afford them.

Tanzania allows locals to buy buff licences but if I remember correctly, they're not allowed cat or elephant licences unless they buy the same kind of hunting licence and hunting package as an overseas hunter would.... again, few can afford it.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Resident hunting in Southern Africa [Re: shakari]
      #107243 - 12/06/08 08:05 AM

dearmer:

Lemme help, as I think I might know what you are driving at, since I always wondered the same thing until I spent time in several countries on the continent and did hunt as a resident in RSA.

In effect, there is no "public land" in RSA as you may be thinking like commonly exists here in the USA. As Shakari says, some parks have certain packages available, but the concept of "public land" as exists in the USA does not exist in South Africa or any other African country I am aware of. The concept of publicly owned, multi-use land is actually fairly unique to the USA.

From an American perspective, the situation in South Africa is much more like Texas where much land is available for hunting...but only if you pay. Even biltong hunts are quite expensive by American standards.

Not sure, but you may be thinking in terms of vast, wide open wilderness type land where no one lives and where in effect no one has direct control and anyone may hunt where they choose, or something like that. There was a day when fellows bought cheap licenses from the various governments and "just went hunting", sort of wherever they wanted, but those days have been gone for decades. Exploding populations and commercialized hunting put a knife in the neck of that dream long ago.

Many Americans think of "Africa" as being sort-of an idyllic and vast expanse of land where "free for the taking" critters roam and government bureaucracy is minimal. No so. There is "wilderness" left in sountern Africa, to be sure, but in all countries in southern Africa I am aware of, all hunting is very expensive for outsiders and except for certain individual exceptions {farmers, ranchers, etc} no large chunks of land exist like in the USA where residents can go hunting after merely paying for a cheap hunting license.

Somebody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

dearmer
.275 member

Re: Resident hunting in Southern Africa [Re: 9.3x57]
      #107270 - 12/06/08 07:16 PM

You're right that I was sort of thinking of the olden days where you could buy a license and go hunting in the wilderness. I know this practice continued up until the war started in Mozambique but wasn't sure what happened after that. Also didn't know what the status was in other countries.
As far as the public land I knew it differed in Africa but I wasn't sure to what level. For instance I wasn't sure if you could buy a license in Tanzania and go hunting in an area such as the Selous, or if hunting was only available there to outfitters holding concessions. Same with large blocks around Chobe and the Delta in Botswana.

I just think it's an interesting topic that never gets discussed. Glad I'm not the only one who has wondered about it.

Josh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1904

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com