Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WDM Bell's/Robert Ruark's 450/400 Jeffrey

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
WDM Bell's/Robert Ruark's 450/400 Jeffrey
      #271432 - 06/10/15 12:09 PM

I have recently been re-reading Horn of the Hunter, the edition with Harry Selby's input.

A couple of questions come to mind.

Harry Selby mentions that at one time Ruark turned up with two rifles that formerly belonged to WDM Bell. A 7x57 bolt action and a 450/400 Jeffrey double rifle. Both had been fitted with plaques "to godson Mark Selby from godfather Robert C Ruark" or words to that effect.

We have seen pictures on this forum of the bolt gun but none of the double rifle.

It would be interesting to find out from Mark as to what happened to the double rifle.

There is also reference to an Australian Professional Hunter, Frank Bowman, yet an internet search reveals nothing of him. Was this a "monicker" for another hunter (possibly Australian Bill Jenvey) or is he ficticious ???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: WDM Bell's/Robert Ruark's 450/400 Jeffrey [Re: twobobbwana]
      #271754 - 16/10/15 10:21 AM

Here's what I've learned on http://forums.[blank]/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/2411094412 about these firearms.

Things I've learned about Bell's .275 and 450/400 Jeffrey.

My thanks to BaxterB, Ailsawheels, gunsmithing, georgegibbs505,Joe R, danlfraser, Joe Coogan and Harry Selby for their input which I have stolen and, hopefully, portrayed accurately.

Please forgive me and correct me if any of this information is incorrect. I'm here to help chronicle the path of these historic rifles from Bell's hands to their current (?) owners.

Any input is appreciated.

Bell died of a heart attack at his Scottish Estate in 1951, and his wife Katherine put the guns on consignment with Westley Richards soon after. His ship Trenchemer (http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp?index=101464) was also sold about this time.

Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell was a member of the Bell's Whisky family.

Bell’s ashes are spread over the garden at his home “Corriemoillie” (www.corriemoille.com)

According to Rigby’s Bell bought a .275 Rigby bolt action (serial #4968) in September 1923 as part of a larger order for the Forbes Safari.

Ruark bought a .275 Rigby Mauser and a 450/.400 WJ Jeffrey double rifle from Westley Richards on 30th October, 1956. They were on the same invoice. Ruark paid 65 pounds for the .275 and 148 pounds 10 shillings for the 450/.400. The .275 was sold with 140gn cartridges.

At the time of the purchase Ruark had Rigby make, inscribe and affix plates inscribed “Mark R Selby from Uncle Bob Ruark” and later gifted them to Mark Selby, Harry’s son and Ruark’s godson.

Ruark used the 450/.400 to shoot his last elephant, over 100lbs, on their Kwaheri Safari (Karamoja region, North Uganda) in the late 50s. It was to be their, Selby and Ruark’s, last safari in Kenya as Selby was moving to Botswana and Ruark was becoming “politically unwelcome” in Kenya due to his writings principally “Something of Value”. (http://www.americanrifleman.org/webcontent/pdf/2009-7/200971484642-kwaherisafari.pdf)
(http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-8/2009819105039-kwaherisafaripart2.pdf)

The rifle is a Model 2.

Harry Selby, American Rifleman, 15 September, 2010 -
“That’s right, Haraka,” Bob said. “You’re holding ‘Karamoja’ Bell’s .275 Rigby. I visited Westley Richards recently to order a .318 rifle, which you’ve always sung the praises of, and Malcolm Lyell, the boss man there, showed me two rifles, which had arrived the previous day—they were from Bell’s estate.

“The .275 Rigby you’re now holding and a double .450/400 by Jeffery. I bought both rifles on the spot for my godson, Mark.” Bob was referring to my son Mark, who was 4 years old at the time.

“He was anxious, as was I, to use the .275 Rigby as much as possible. The rifle was fitted with open sights, which featured a wide V rear sight with flip-up leaves, and a small-bead front sight. I realized we’d need to fit a scope to the rifle because Bob was not used to shooting with open sights, other than with big doubles at close range.”

“I had a Lyman Alaskan 2.5X scope, but no scope mounts were available in Nairobi, so I took the rifle and scope to Robert Triebel, one of the famous Triebel brothers, who was employed as a gunsmith in Nairobi, and an absolute artist working with metal. He crafted a mount high enough to allow the operation of the unaltered Mauser bolt handle, but also built in an aperture, through which open sights could be used. The arrangement worked well and proved to ring out the best of the rifle’s inherent accuracy. The job took some time, but fortunately it was ready by the time Bob’s safari was due to start.”

“We were both as excited as a pair of schoolboys about the Bell rifles and were surprised by the fact that the .275 was a takedown model. By flipping a catch the barrel and forward part of the fore-end unscrewed, but when in the locked position, it was totally rigid—a very neat arrangement. There were a couple of threaded holes on the side of the Mauser action where, presumably, Bell had fitted a scope at some time, perhaps as he grew older, in order to hunt stag back in his native Scotland

Mark eventually decided to dispose of the Rigby .275 through Holland & Holland of London, and we lost all trace of it for nearly 20 years until quite recently when someone phoned Joe Coogan to say that he currently owned the rifle and wished to sell it. Mike Evans now owns “Karamoja” Bell’s Rigby .275, and he brought it back to Botswana to use on safari in 2009. (http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/9/15/karamoja-bells-275-rigby/)

Gail Selby, Harry’s daughter, used the .275 Rigby to shoot her first elephant , a 50 pounder, when she was 14.

Both the .275 and 450/.400 were sold. The .275 in 1983.

The .275 is presently owned by a collector in West Virginia (the same collector owns the Selous Farquason) who bought it in a gunshop in Ohio . The rifle had been stored in a vault for 24 years.

At one time [blank] forum member, danlfraser owned it (13 May, 2007). and the 450/.400 is/was owned by John Mecom, once an owner of New Orlean Saints NFL team and possibly a client of Harry Selby’s.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1608

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com