Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: plains game rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Aussiesteve
.275 member

Reged: 30/03/08
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australi...
plains game rifle
      #124015 - 14/01/09 01:17 PM

Hi guys I am very seriously thinking of in the next couple of years heading over to Africa to hunt plains game. I understand that the Eland is the biggest, and that they can be nearly a ton, and that also shots at times can be over some pretty long distances.

I own a .340 weatherby magnum which I love, and I am wondering if its enough gun for the animals I'll be hunting? If it not enough what would be suitable, and if it is enough what bullets would be best to take over? I currently load 225 barnes TSX's for 3100 fps, and nosler 225 grain Accubonds for 3150fps. The nosler bullet load shoots very very flat, but it doesnt shoot quiet to the same P.O.I as the TSX, and the TSX will hold together well but wont shoot as flat or quiet as accurately. I am in Australia so swift bullets arn't avalible, though most others such as Hornady, Speer, Sierra etc are.

Cheers

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Aussiesteve]
      #124020 - 14/01/09 01:56 PM

A 340 Wby will get the job done. Personaly I would use the heaviest SP that you can get for caliber. I prefer woodleighs.

Most shots are going to be 100-150 yds at most. It would be most exceptional terraign that would call for a longer shot.

Regards

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Bramble]
      #124043 - 14/01/09 05:26 PM

Bramble has given you some good advice there. As you live in Oz, use the Woodleigh SPs for your plains game and if you want, you could step up to the PSP for the eland and a Buff if you take one.......although with that calibre, the SPs would probably do. If you do use Woodleighs, pay very careful attention to the speed limitations printed on the box.

Depending on area you hunt, your shots might be longer but assuming you hunt the bushveld of RSA/Zim etc, the range estimations Bramble gave you are about right.

(deleted)

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by NitroX (15/01/09 03:13 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: plains game rifle [Re: shakari]
      #124054 - 14/01/09 06:47 PM

"Toys for big boys" is officially the Swift A Frame distributors, so if shooting an Eland with a Fast calibre is an option, then a pack of Swifts would not be a bad idea.
But, good luck in dealing with these guys.

Aussiesteve
.275 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: ozhunter]
      #124058 - 14/01/09 09:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I am able to drive 300 grain woodleigh round nose bullets to 2500 with ease, would these prove adequate perhaps?

Steve, thanks for the link I have made it a favourite, and Ozhunter thanks for letting me know about toys for big boys, I wsnt awear that swifts were being imported.

Cheers

Steve

shakari
.400 member

#124061 - 14/01/09 10:26 PM

Steve,

It's a pleasure and hope you find the site useful.

I'm not sure what Woodleigh recommend by way of speed for that calibre, but it'll be printed on the boxes. As long as you stay within those limitations, you'll be just fine.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #124062 - 14/01/09 10:40 PM

I also shoot a .340 Weatherby and it is one of my favorite all-around calibers. The .340 is without a doubt enough rifle for any plains game animal and most others as well. A 250 grain bullet in a .338 caliber is an absolute marriage made in heaven. Period. The sectional density makes it nearly unstoppable when combined with a premium bullet. I shoot the Nosler Partitions but just ordered some from Conley Precision loaded with the 250 grain Accubond.

--------------------

shakari
.400 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #124064 - 14/01/09 10:51 PM

Steve,

I was just thinking about your speed and would guess that 2500 might be towards the top end of the scale for a Woodleigh and possibly even above their limit, but as I said, check on the box.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: plains game rifle [Re: ozhunter]
      #124072 - 14/01/09 11:59 PM

Quote:

"Toys for big boys" is officially the Swift A Frame distributors, so if shooting an Eland with a Fast calibre is an option, then a pack of Swifts would not be a bad idea.
But, good luck in dealing with these guys.

Have used that exact combo albeit with a 338 Ultra-mag on elk--works great---used 200 Gr A-Frames on my last trip on eland to Zebra--worked perfectly

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #124086 - 15/01/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys. I am able to drive 300 grain woodleigh round nose bullets to 2500 with ease, would these prove adequate perhaps?

Steve, thanks for the link I have made it a favourite, and Ozhunter thanks for letting me know about toys for big boys, I wsnt awear that swifts were being imported.

Cheers

Steve

300Gn @ 2400-2500 is exactly 375 H+H levels of power albeit with slightly less cross sectional area. That will do very nicely. I would think that the woodleighs will do it as they make them for the H+H at that velocity.

Have a great hunt and I hope you get that Eland. I chased the damm things for 6 days last Feb and couldent get a shot!

McLarenSafaris
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
Loc: Soutpan, Free State, South Afr...
Re: plains game rifle [Re: Bramble]
      #124108 - 15/01/09 05:28 AM

Aussiesteve,

You are quite correct in saying that the eland is a massive animal. According to the real experts a really big eland bull weighs more than a really big buffalo bull!

But is eland the biggest "plains game" animal?

In reply one can ask: "Is the giraffe a plains game animal?" If you say "Yes", then that is your biggest plains game animal.

We all know that the "Big 5" [elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard and [traditionally] black rhino] are not called plains game, but either Big 5 or Dangerous game. But is white rhino one of the Big 5? Yes, I know that financial considerations caused the general acceptance of white rhino as the last one of the Big 5. But is white rhino really one of the Big 5? If you say "No", then that is your biggest plains game animal. Then we have to establish the status of the hippo? He is NOT "Big 5", but he is bloody big! Some talk about the "Big 6"! It really becomes semantics and nit picking!

The eland is a bloody big animal! Period.

Are they shot at long distances? Thinking a moment before attempting a reply makes me think of a signature of one of the posters on a forum: "Vegetarian" is an Indian word meaning "poor hunter"! A poor hunter may be forced to shoot at an eland at rather long range. They have excellent eyesight; and in the grass-covered mountains where the Cape eland does so well they can see you from a long ways off. Where the are regularly hunted such a sighting results in a rapid turn-around and departure at a deceivingly slow looking but actually ground eating fast trot to the next mountain slope. Much the same applies to hunting eland on the Free State grassveld! If you hunt these areas you may be forced to attempt a rather long shot. [I'm not tendering to be your PH and be responsible to get you really close!]

But even Cape eland, and definitely the similar sized Livingstone eland, does very well in much denser bushveldt. Here a typical shot distance may be 50 to 75 yards!

Either way the 340 Weatherby Magnum can be very good eland medicine - PROVIDED you can shoot it well under actual hunting conditions.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

--------------------
Andrew McLaren

"A good hunt is worth whatever you pay for it. A bad hunt is not worth the time spent on it"

http://www.mclarensafaris.com

Isopeura
.224 member

Reged: 01/06/08
Loc: Finland
Re: plains game rifle [Re: McLarenSafaris]
      #124109 - 15/01/09 05:48 AM

I plan to take .300 H&H and .400 H&H for the mixed bag safari, although I'm not quite sure I need the "light rifle" with .400, as I should be able to take care of everything up to and including buffalo with a .400. If you look at the recommendations of PH:s, one should be well equipped with either a .30-06 or .300 for plains game. If I plan to take only one buffalo, I may not be willing to punish myself with heavy rifle if it's not necessary and therefore I may consider the pain and hassle of a two rifle safari.

Any thoughts about this. And don't worry, I plan to use 200 gr. bullets from Swift or Woodleigh if I use a .300 H&H.

Aussiesteve
.275 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: Isopeura]
      #124128 - 15/01/09 09:49 AM

Thanks again for all the info, I have checked on my box of 300 grain woodleighs and it recomends 2500 fps as maximum impact velocity. I am pretty sure if I do my part the 300 grain woodleigh would do its, but I am wondering about impala, Kudu, Zebra and Oryx, and what ranges would I be expected to be shooting at on average? I am asking because I like the idear of only taking one load with me to Africa, and if those other smaller animals are shot out past 200 meters pretty often then I'd rather have a bullet with a better BC and more accuracy than the 300 grain woodleighs. Would a good 250 grain bullet like a woodleigh protected point get the job done on an Eland?

Cheers

Steve

shakari
.400 member

#124162 - 15/01/09 06:04 PM

Steve,

2500 at the muzzle sounds pretty much perfect then.

The likely ranges will depend on the area you hunt, but assuming you don't book somewhere like the Kalahari, you can expect most shots to be 50-100 yards or so.

With that load and calibre, you don't really need to step up to the PSP for eland. The SP would be fine if you put it in the right place. Sure eland are slightly bigger than a buff, but they're not as strongly built and they're nowhere near as tenacious.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Aussiesteve
.275 member

#124227 - 16/01/09 10:50 AM

Thanks again guys for your help

Cheers

Steve

osix
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/07
Loc: Australia
      #124258 - 16/01/09 10:02 PM

Hunted Namibia last year, took my Eland with a 300 Mag shooting the Woodleigh 200 grain PP.
I'm sure they've been shot with smaller but I felt way under gunned. Next time I have an Eland in the sights it'll be with a 9.3x62.
The 340 will do the job, there's guys on this forum that have far much more experience than I do, that say so.
The key issue for me is what happens if you loose your ammo?
You'll find 9.3x62 and 375H&H ammo you might even find 338 Win Mag. Not real confident about 340 Weatherby.
And if you think it can't happen to you, it happened to all three of us! Fortunately we got the bags and guns back after a few days but....

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #124304 - 17/01/09 10:50 AM

The 340WM is a very good, accurate cartridge for shooting medium game at long range. I use it, reloaded with the 250gr. SPBT bullet from Sierra, for hunting mountain game in central Asia. For Eland hunting, in my opinion, that's not the first choice. Better use a 375 H&H or more.

Aussiesteve
.275 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: grandveneur]
      #124322 - 17/01/09 07:11 PM

Hmmmmmm, I never thought about loosing my ammo and I suppose .340 wby stuff would be pretty hard to come by in most African countries. Is it maybe possible to send ammo in advance so that you KNOW its there at your hunting camp before you leave home? I also own a CZ 550 safari in .416 Rigby, maybe I could load it with 340 grain woodleighs or even 300 grain barnes TSX's, and if I loose my ammo I can still run factory 410 grainers through it? Would .416 Rigby ammo be any easier to get in Africa?

My only issue with the .416 is that for the other animals I am looking at (Kudu, Oryx, Zebra and impala depending on where I hunt) its probably too powerful, considering that Zebra's only weigh about 300 Kgs or so and they are the second bigest animal I plan on hunting, and hence bullet performance could be an issue. If I load 300-350 grain bullets, I'll have massive expansion and lots of damage to the hides which may cause problems when the heads are being mounted, on the other hand if I use a 400/410 grain bullet, I'm likley not to get any expansion and so a run off may happen.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Aussiesteve (17/01/09 08:20 PM)

shakari
.400 member

#124324 - 17/01/09 08:12 PM

Steve,

Africa is a big continent and ammo availability varies from area to area and country to country. For example, if you hunted the lowveld of South Africa, you'd probably be able to get ammo for most calibres including your 340 Weatherby, esp if you went to someone like Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit. However, in Tanzania, you'd probably be able to get 416 ammo but not 340.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

grandveneur
.400 member

#124326 - 17/01/09 08:31 PM

In my opinion .416 are very good allround calibers for Africa. For all game use the standart 400/410gr. bullets. For plain game, with this calibers, you dont need a lot of bullet expansion, you have a sufficent frontal section. The light bullets have a bad ballistic coefficient.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #124328 - 17/01/09 09:49 PM

I guess if we only hunted with rifles that we knew for darn certain would always be in stock in the U.S. and abroad, we would be limited to the .270 Win, .30-30, .30-06, 9.3x74R, .375H&H, .404 jeffrey, .416 Rigby, and the .458 Win Mag. Throw in a couple of the 6.5s and you'd have it covered. However, even these common calibers cannot be found everywhere and even if they are in stock somewhere, you may not have the means to get to it. The old cliche that you can walk into any General Store in the U.S. and find ammo in the .30-30 and .30-06 is simply not true. Even if they did have it, it would not be in the same configuration that performs best in your rifle.

My point is that it sure wouldn't be fun to be limited to only the commonly stocked calibers that may or may not be in stock wherever it is we plan to hunt. Even though it brings with it a little greater risk, I'm a believer in hunting with the rifle and caliber you have the most confidence in and the most passion for. Now, I may bring a second rifle in a more common caliber, but that's beside the point.

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #124333 - 17/01/09 10:51 PM

I agree. But the question was if the .340 caliber is a good choice for hunting Eland's. In my opinion not enough power.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
      #124341 - 18/01/09 12:36 AM

IMHO too much speed and not enough bullet weight for Eland. 300grain woodleighs might be a solution, but may not suit the barrel twist. I'd go 9.3x62 / 9.3x74 or .375 to name some common choices... I see no need to go to .400+ for plains game, unless you wanted to!

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: plains game rifle [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #124348 - 18/01/09 02:05 AM

I agree. But . 400+ for plain game only by one rifle safaris, if you hunt big game too!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #124357 - 18/01/09 03:04 AM

Quote:

I agree. But . 400+ for plain game only by one rifle safaris, if you hunt big game too!

Excellent point...I see way TOOOOOO many people going hunting with guns in Africa that are in my opinion too small if you get in a sticky situation with say a tuskless elephant or bad natured buff bull...you never know--might have been wounded, snared, who knows..know of 2 cases in particular that ended in the deathts of said individuals that happened must in 2005 alone...

As to the 340 not having enough power for eland--disagree...have seen .340's used on a variety of game along with .338 Ultra's which are very similar in performance...I personally shot a elk looking at me at about 250 yards--hit directly in the chest and excited below the anus --with a hole about the size of a softball..needless to say, dropped to the shot...I personally shot a large bull this past year using a 200 gr A-Frame--ran about 40 yards and tipped over...again, IMHO, shot placement is far more crucial than the size of the bat .ie; .Mr. Weatherby himself shot a buff bull using only a .257 Weatherby...Bell used the .275...etc....

Thanks

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7201

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com