Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just back from Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Just back from Zimbabwe
      #105431 - 18/05/08 06:57 AM

I've just returned from Zim this morming. There remains no reason to postpone or cancel a hunt. Economic activity is up from my last trip, more traffic on roads in Harare and the hiways we were on. Parks and Wildlife vehicles were in better shape, with fuel, and anti-poaching patrols were more common.

Every official from imigration to customs to police to Parks and Wildlife officers and game scouts were freindly and corteous. Police roadblocks were no more common than in the past and police were courteous and businesslike at the few poadblocks where we had to stop, mostly we were simply waived through.

No issues in Zim with my rifles which arrived on time and were cleared in and out without issue. My rifle case was opened in transit, I think at Dulles, and some slight damage, dings and scratches, done to both stocks, probably from lying one rifle on the other. One lock was not replaced. This is the last time I'll use TSA locks on my rifle case, unless mandated.

All in Zim bemoan the political situation and all want Mugabe gone, this feeling is widespread and openly expressed, even by Gov't employees, which is a change from my experience in the past.

As is typical of good operators, supplies in camp were plentiful and fuel no issue. Roger Whittall outfitted my camp, btw. I purchased the hunt at the Zim auctions with Roger and PH Rich Tabor acting as my agents.

For those heading out, the late ending and heavy rains have the bush THICK and we had dense ground cover, making tacking difficult. Be prepared for some up close excitement.

I'll post a report when I've had a chance for some sleep and catching up here.

JPK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: JPK]
      #105433 - 18/05/08 07:40 AM

welcome back JPK

im truly looking forward to the hunting report. have a nice rest !!!

best regards

peter

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: peter]
      #105444 - 18/05/08 09:55 AM

Good to hear some of the recent Paranoia is unjustified. Common sense and recent experience prevails. If I listened to some of the travel warnings and advice from the Australian Government, I'd never leave my house.

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: tophet1]
      #105452 - 18/05/08 11:14 AM

Here here I agree withyou there buddy bloody tree hungers !

Looking forward to your trip report

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: lapua]
      #105472 - 18/05/08 03:00 PM

Great news!! I talked to Craig Boddington at the NRA exhibition in Louisville KY and he said the same thing. Really nice guy BTW. I leave August 28th for Chewore with RWS. Your news is welcome! Looking forward to the story and pics. Contratulations I'm sure.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: bigmaxx]
      #105508 - 18/05/08 09:24 PM

Good to hear all is well and no major damage to your rifles John.
Regards,
Ad

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #105532 - 19/05/08 03:19 AM

Quote:

Roger Whittall outfitted my camp, btw. I purchased the hunt at the Zim auctions with Roger and PH Rich Tabor acting as my agents.

Looking forward to hearing of this hunt in particular.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: NitroX]
      #105604 - 19/05/08 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Roger Whittall outfitted my camp, btw. I purchased the hunt at the Zim auctions with Roger and PH Rich Tabor acting as my agents.

Looking forward to hearing of this hunt in particular.

JPK,

I would be very interested in hearing more about your recent experience with purchasing a hunt at the auctions. How do you feel it ended all in all, compared to a hunt where everything was set up from before? Also, did it save you any money, or did things equal out in the end?

Erik

JPK
.375 member

Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: EricD]
      #105630 - 20/05/08 02:35 AM

All,

A preview of my hunt report, which I'll post later when I've had the chance to reaquaint myself with my wife and kids, office, and got photos squared away.

I hunted in Nyakasanga ans we struggled from day one. The jess and riverine bush were THICK, even thicker than anticipated. All of the pans in the jess were full and fuller, even typically dry-by-May pans. But what had us struggling was dense laid over dry grass and weed ground cover, making tracking slow and difficult.

Many times we would be following a good set of prints to loose the tracks to crossing cow heards and find picking them back up difficult or impossible. The trackers were looking at only indents in the grass or small protions of a print and with the numbers of eles in the area it was tough keeping on the correct track.

On day 12 we were charged by a bull that was looking for us from down wind. We were at a pan looking for tracks nad had already retreated from a herd of cows. When this bull crossed our wind at maybe 20yds he came looking for us. We could hear him coming quickly and we had nowhere to go. We first saw him at ten hads and when he broke through the bush at eight yards and saw us he turned, put his head down and came.

Somehow, I manged to double my rifle - don't ask how, I'll never f---ing know, but it was me and not the rifle because it has intercepting sears, but that ended the charge, as later determined by reviewing video. PH Rich Tabor fired his 470 just after I shot and missed the brain as well. He was trying to stop the charge. Only review of the video reveals that Rich's shot might have been better placed in the heart since my shots stopped the bull, but evertthing happened so darned quick. Glad to be able to type this because it was soiled shorts close in that thick stuff.

As an FYI, in the jess blocks it was dense enough and visiblilty poor enough, with enough eles around that Rich had told me early on that if things got dicey and close to just go ahead and shoot if I felt it required to keep everyine whole. On this bull, I followed that admonition. We've faced a couple of for real charges together before, but none with so limited visibility.

We tracked that bull two hours before dark ended our efforts and then six hours the next day, eventually loosing him to crossing cow herds that covered his tracks repeatedly. He'd gone back to feeding and I'm confident he has only a headache.

Parks and Wildlife has yet to determine if that bull will be counted against my quota or as a self defense shooting. Hopefully the video and the game scout will resolve any Parks doubts, which, if any, will revolve around my shooting first as opposed to Rich, but I was closest and had the angle.

Gave away a cow buff and a hippo quota to another hunter, Steve Scott, who was hunting a bull buff and who produces a show on the old ESPN 2 channel now calld ? and which can be seen at 8:00am Sundays. We were running out of time, needed bait and the quota was paid for. He was a very nice fellow and appreciative of the opportunity. He should get a couple of good segements out of his hunts. He got a "right and a left" on the bull and cow buff, taking both from the same herd moments apart. Great video of the hippo to which was taken in a small pan.

On day 13 we found an "average" bull and killed him. The ivory isn't weighed yet but should go mid meube upper thirties, well below expectations for the area and time frame. Pretty ivory but thin at 13 1/4" circumference at the lip, should go about 4 1/2', but it wasn't chopped out before I left.

Struck out on leopard. Shot two hyhenas, one at 7:00am, well after sun up. Shot bait, but let an appy do most of the bait shooting.

Lots of walking from slow tracking to faster cross country humps to through the jess to get to the many, many pans, as much as nine hours a day of walking. With the amount of water and the condition of the jess the bulls, really all of the eles, were finding no reason to leave or cross roads.

Didn't give much effort to the tuskless.

If Parks rules the charging bull a self defense shooting, I'll try to return in Sept for the second bull and tuskless.

Tough hunt, no lucky breaks. But we kept at it and no one got discouraged.

Eric,

The conditions were not as expected or as Rich Tabor encountered the same time last year because of the heavy and late ending rains. This was the reason for our mixed success. Two or three hunters splitting a camp could save money, but one probably can't, and this wasn't a goal. Alternatively, some of the camps and additional quota can be purchased with Zim $'s but for non-export, this might make a fun and less expensive hunt, but Zim's effort to float there currency should have the effect of flattening the spread of exchange rates, mandated Bank/mandated mixed/blackmarket, and will reduce savings.

Historically, the first bull hunts in Nyakasanga have resulted in very nice ivory, ~65lb range, and this is why I chose to give it a go. But again, conditions were atypical and as a result we struggled. Another especially good time to hunt Nyakasanga has been the last hunt in September, when the eles are drawn to the "hills" - I'd call them mountains - and the still abundant food and springs.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#105866 - 23/05/08 12:54 AM

I got the tusk weights from the bull I killed. The left tusk went 38lbs. The right had a large hole and an abscess near the base, under the lip, caused by a previuous bullet, as well as a long crack along where the nerve would be. An old 375 soft point was recovered from the core of the tusk. That tusk went ~28lbs with the damage and missing ivory.

Perfectly in line with my luck for this trip, eh?!

Gotta wonder if the moron that shot the 375 soft is still with us or if he is fertilizer.

JPK

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #105900 - 23/05/08 08:15 AM

JPK,
Have been reading "Months of the Sun" lately.
Ian hunted the Nyakasanga area quit a bit and noted the large flood swamps adjacent to the Zambezi.
Did you see any sign of these old flood swamps (old, due to the fact the river floods little now with the Dam.).
OZ

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #105902 - 23/05/08 09:18 AM

Sounds like a memorable hunt!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

JPK
.375 member

Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: ozhunter]
      #105912 - 23/05/08 12:57 PM

Quote:

JPK,
Have been reading "Months of the Sun" lately.
Ian hunted the Nyakasanga area quit a bit and noted the large flood swamps adjacent to the Zambezi.
Did you see any sign of these old flood swamps (old, due to the fact the river floods little now with the Dam.).
OZ

Oz,

I would say yes and no. Most terrain has some elevation and these were either mopani, srubby, topped off mopani or jess - or souteast of the security road that runs from Route 12(?), the tar road to Zambia, northeast through Nyakasanga and Mana Pools, Sapi through Chewore... in the hills. Only the tremendous number of pans with their grey clay soil point to the old flood swamps and the different types of soil some areas had too from very fetile looking black soil to typical red dirt to sand to sandy clay. Without the past floods I don't think the pans or the different soil types would be there.

Also, large areas of both open plains and tighter bush along the Zambezi, even relatively elevated areas, had the moonscape and foot deep+ cratering that eles leave when they walk on soft, thouroughly saturated ground that then drys. This was especially prevelent at open plains along the Zambezi southwest of the Rukumetchie River and around the Sugar Estates areas further southwest.

The riverine bush along many of the rivers, especially the Rukumetchie and Nyakasanga must have been similar to what Nychens experienced. Here the riverine bush was very dense and the footing soft, still wet clay with softer bogs and even pools when we first arrived, noticably drying during the hunt. But even at the end of our hunt the ground was moist and it was very humid in the riverine bush.

The Jess Nychens writes about is till there, that for sure!

JPK

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #105928 - 23/05/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Gotta wonder if the moron that shot the 375 soft is still with us or if he is fertilizer

Unless he was just trying to defend himself from an unexpected and unprovoked attack, hopefully the latter!

McLarenSafaris
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
Loc: Soutpan, Free State, South Afr...
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #106038 - 25/05/08 05:20 PM

I share the sentiments of JabaliHunter almost exactly!

Hope, if he was indeed just an A$$hole shooting at an ele with a soft, he passed through the "hyaena production line" of the Natural African Fertilizer Co. Unlimited on his way to be fertilizer!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Just back from Zimbabwe [Re: McLarenSafaris]
      #106320 - 30/05/08 12:34 AM

Exactly! On the other hand it is damn difficult to stop a charge in thick bush even when you know its coming as JPK's experience illustrates:
Quote:

When this bull crossed our wind at maybe 20yds he came looking for us. We could hear him coming quickly and we had nowhere to go. We first saw him at ten (yards) and when he broke through the bush at eight yards and saw us he turned, put his head down and came

Even after receiveing 3 shots (2 from the doubled DR and one from the PH's .470) the ele escaped. Hopefully he did only have a "headache" but one has to assume that if he survives he's not going to take too kindly to hunters invading his personal space!
Maybe the next guy won't be so lucky, whether elephant hunting or not...
Still if its me, I won't be carrying a .375 with softs up the spout!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2596

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com