Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No Jaco this year, it sucks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
No Jaco this year, it sucks
      #109333 - 09/07/08 06:38 PM

For one year my cousin and I were very excited with hunting with Jaco Human in August.
Catastrophe
We both are stranded by business.
Luc is loosing lots of cash, trying to keep competitors but friends afloat.
The same for me : I was on the point of complete an association with 3 other labs and eventually I understood that I’d be the sponsor of the other labs.
Both of us are back pedalling fast, and summer wouldn’t be long enough to restore our companies.

Saying that we are disappointed is a sheer understatement. We were so pleased to have a wonderful time and plenty of fun with Jaco. Really it sucks, let alone remaining far from Africa during 2 years.
As a solace, we are (pipe?) dreaming about our visit to Jaco in 2009 that’ll be even better.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: larcher]
      #109368 - 10/07/08 04:26 AM

Larcher-

I have very much enjoyed your contributions to this community.
I feel your pain on the financial crisis and resulting change of plans.

Keep us in touch with your day-to-day anyway.
I've found that stalking mice and opposum around my home and workshop in the off-season help make the time away from big timber hunting trips much more bearable.

Go kill some vermin in the bush behind your home and give us a hunt report!

My plans for bear and buck for this winter have been slashed, doctor's orders. No mountain country hunts for me until winter of '09 - and that's if I'm lucky!

I will be spending this recovery time running my rimfire cape gun against 'serious threats' against my machineshop, also keeping fresh with the borerifles out on the ranch against charging squirrels, evasive moles, and the rare and dangerous musky zebra-cat!
(that's skunk for you fellow westerners)

Keep your chin up mate!
We're here to keep your spirits in the pink!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #109373 - 10/07/08 05:06 AM

Sorry for your situation and hope things improve--

I have had to let my DG Safari dreams go for the next several years due to family affairs(kids education,elder care-nursing home issues, and vehicles wearing out)--Yowsers!

But maybe theres hope for DG in Africa in the next several years!!

Sadly,reality is what it is and time marches relentlessly on---

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: hoppdoc]
      #109375 - 10/07/08 05:52 AM

Sorry to hear of everyones dilema's...as stated, sometimes reality sucks..but keeping the faith, it will all work out...I truly believe and live that philosophy...

I hve no doubt that all of you will return shortly to Africa and will be better than anticipated...Best wishes...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: Ripp]
      #109379 - 10/07/08 08:24 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am in a similar state! I have to put on hold the plans of getting my first DR & my first African hunting trip! Even hunting Australia looks a while away.

But... I have just won an auction on eBay for 25 copies of the DR journal for US$100 but the freight to NZ is US$200!! Still...it should be great reading & dreaming when it arrives here in a couple of weeks!

Hang in there everyone!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: Nakihunter]
      #109441 - 10/07/08 11:58 PM

Unfortunately with the high cost of petro, freight costs will continue to escalate...read this morning, one of the main airlines will start charging $15. per checked bag --and another will stop showing movies as cutting the extra weight will save them 10 million per year in costs in fuel alone...

Ripp

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

#109506 - 11/07/08 07:40 PM

Thanks all for Your kind words

I won’t complain as I can afford a safari nearly every year. No doubt times are getting harder and I am afraid that at least Europe has to face an especially rough landing. Wait and see.
Mostly I feel sad because Jaco was so pleased to spend a great week with us. We were considering a very small bag in order to be more picky and to take more pleasure with hard won trophies. This setting would have permit better trophies and free time as well.

To please Tinker I vented my frustration in braining a wild boar, that helps. Hunting is yet not bad in France and will keep me be busy enough to forget our postponed RSA safari . No varmints we be scoffed at.

I suggest that if some of You are due to go safariing, they have to do it now. I am afraid that prices will get higher and higher, be it kerosene, fees, catering…..

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #109510 - 11/07/08 10:02 PM

Well said larcher - I guess we all have our burden to carry - I am suppose to go to Zim late this year - nervously peeking to situation there - great plan with great guys - found the loot and time - but... - still hoping for the best

Ripp
.577 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: 93mouse]
      #109513 - 11/07/08 10:11 PM

93mouse

If you don't mind..what will you be hunting in Zim??

Ripp

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #109518 - 11/07/08 10:27 PM

Ripp I don't mind at all - primarily buffalo and the rest what comes up or will be available ATM - PH extended his concession in Doma hills this year and we will be scouting the new area and stuff...open sighted double Merkel in 9,3x74R loaded with GSFN 265 grainers....argh too good to be true if those JOC jokers mess it up I might go mad.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: 93mouse]
      #109519 - 11/07/08 10:30 PM

That sounds like a ton of fun...hope things settle down over there...I check the web everyday as to what is going on..curious how it will all work itself out...hopefully it will, and sooner than later..

Good Luck

Ripp

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #109540 - 12/07/08 12:41 AM

I've been in a holding pattern since 2005. Much of that waiting for taxidermy, very poor service with more than one 'artist' and now the economy. I think it will be worth the wait though.

I will have some local options this fall, I am off to shoot two red stags (2 for $2K) and whitetail in western NY state farmland. The stags are not free range but will provide good meat.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

tinker
.416 member

#109555 - 12/07/08 02:32 AM

Larcher-

The dead pig pleases me greatly!

Quote:

To please Tinker I vented my frustration in braining a wild boar, that helps...

When you make it to Oakland I will treat you to a quart of beer.

Consider coming here for a budget safari.
We have plentiful Impala, Cougar, and Jaguar, as well as Viper and Cobra, StingRay and Barracuda!
The native urban jungle-dweller is colorful and interesting, often engaging in tribal and clan warfare.
Every day is a Safari in Oakland!

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #109594 - 12/07/08 05:35 PM

Quote:

--and another will stop showing movies as cutting the extra weight will save them 10 million per year in costs in fuel alone...

Ha ha. more like $10 mil in fees (or whatever proportion) to Hollywood. Flying long haul without some good movies sucks. I wouldn't fly with them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #109595 - 12/07/08 05:41 PM

Quote:

.... I vented my frustration in braining a wild boar, that helps. Hunting is yet not bad in France and will keep me be busy enough to forget our postponed RSA safari

JB, well done. I was wondering if the boar will take a hammering instead.

Quote:

I suggest that if some of You are due to go safariing, they have to do it now. I am afraid that prices will get higher and higher, be it kerosene, fees, catering…..

Yep, but Zimbabwe should be quite cheap due to cancellations in 2008 if one is game enough to risk possible civil problems.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

larcher
.416 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: tinker]
      #109601 - 12/07/08 07:20 PM

Mouse
I wish You all the possible luck. Time might seem slugghish?

Hi Tinker

First of first I have to focus with my shriveled brain not to go to Auckland but Oakland Nothing wrong with the Kiwis, if they are like Aussies, one feels just as among the family
The only place in the USA that I visited was Alaska, so I have plenty of places still to visit in the States
Thanks for the invitation. Concerning the quart of beer, if I come with my cousin, a carload of beer will just fit.
About urban warfare, I was trained a long time ago with a Garrant class rifle, consider me useless.
The Californian game is far more interesting and I wouldn’t refuse any, rattle snake included
Jaguar is very stunning, I believed that jaguar was prevalent only in and South of the Yucatan in Mexico. The jaguar is at the very very top of my list far over any other game. He is fully protected but I was told that in some places in South America, they manage to bend the rules. Remains the trouble to import the hide undercover. Personnally I am a sticker but I’ll hardly hesitate if I was offered a nice big male jaguar.
In fact, even in well developed California You’re blessed with a larger panel of game than in Europe.
Count on me to hop at Your home when time will come. I’d hunt only if I’ll be a widower, my wife has for hunting discussions a compliance plugged to very short fuses………..ask Nitrox.
Good luck all of You.

--------------------

Edited by larcher (12/07/08 07:42 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #109625 - 13/07/08 03:15 AM

Larcher,

Just hang in there. Heavy rain cannot go on forever. I understand your pain - I sold my share in my business with a friend in order to join university and study for my final examination in the future and I have learned that my former partner is having all kinds of problems.

I do think that the current dark clouds will pass and hope that you will be hunting again and posting about it as you always have over here.

Very best wishes and do hang in there!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

tinker
.416 member

#109641 - 13/07/08 06:03 AM

Larcher-

Some consider this a blessing, but first let me clarify...

Quote:

... in well developed California You’re blessed with a larger panel of game than in Europe...

For instance, the Impala I speak of don't look so much like this...

rather, the Oakland Impala look much more like this...

...and so on!

--Tinker

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: tinker]
      #109654 - 13/07/08 07:37 AM

Tinker,

That second impala is just wrong, very wrong.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

tinker
.416 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: AspenHill]
      #109657 - 13/07/08 09:03 AM

Ann-

That's nothing, the hackjobs on the cougars are similar.
you should see what they do to the jaguars, cobras, and stingrays!

I grew up (from age 8yrs) in finest auto restoration, bringing Bentleys, early Ferraris, Bugattis, etc up to 'Best of Class' 'Best of Show' and 'People's Choice' condition.
Frankly, at this time in my life I give just about a rat's ass for fine cars.
My hunting rig is a mid 70's 1-ton ramcharger built for northern california's state road service and our family rig is an '02 volvo xc wagon.

These wack-a-doos definitely keep the night scene of Oakland's more outlaw neighborhoods as colorful as you can imagine.

Do a youtube search for 'oakland sideshow'
Y'all get where I'm coming from in a jiffy.
I'll note that Oakland is a very large town, with a very diverse palette of neighborhoods and community.
I don't live anywhere near that sort of scene, but as you'll see in all of today's large cities this kind of public recreation and display is becoming commonplace.

When I was much younger and building my skills and business in machine building and fabrication, those neighborhoods (San Francisco at the time) were the only places I could afford to work and live.
I've seen it all. Although facing off at fifteen paces with a large bear is a wonderful thrill, I don't consider such hunting scenarios nearly as dangerous as what I'd regularly get through on the way home from a beer and a couple tacos twenty years ago.

So Larcher.
The Quart of beer offer will always stand.
I just wanted to clarify the nature of Oakland's 'Dangerous Game'

--Tinker

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #109679 - 13/07/08 09:33 PM

Quote:

...First of first I have to focus with my shriveled brain not to go to Auckland but Oakland Nothing wrong with the Kiwis, if they are like Aussies, one feels just as among the family...

We are actually better at rugby & make better white wines! All that with just a fifth of their population!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

larcher
.416 member

Re: No Jaco this year, it sucks [Re: Nakihunter]
      #109797 - 16/07/08 01:59 AM

Tinker

How are suburbs in France? All the same. But not that many roman catholics, mainly Africans.
If You happen to hop in France, please tell me, sure I'll taylor make something exquisite for You.

Nakihunter

We French have respect for the kiwis. Just come in France and say that You're a kiwi, sure You'll be heartily welcomed. The all blacks are doing a great job, providing Your country a serious reputation. I'd come and taste Your white wine. I tested Nitrox's ones and Australian and sure there are some jewels.
I often quote New Zealand. Many of my friends are drooling about East European big red stags (Romania, Hungaria, Poland...). I take great and mischievous pleasure in recommending New Zealand stags that are far bigger and cheaper. On the same budget one can afford a stag and the whole travel for the price of a Kapital stag in East Europe. Let alone taking advantage of the unique scenery of NZ.
good luck

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#109809 - 16/07/08 04:18 AM

Excellent-

I have at least a couple more years of preparing my young children for Continental travel.
Unless I end up with a consultation gig in your part of the world before then, it might take some time before I can meet you out there.

In the meantime, get the neighborhood ready for me!

--Tinker

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com