Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leopard in 2013

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Leopard in 2013
      #215414 - 25/08/12 01:44 AM

OK, ladies and gentlemen (and all the rest of you laggards, braggarts and poltroons), here's a chance to inform a fellow card-carrying Dirty Old Man about the whiles and wherefores of leopard hunting.

I'm off to South Africa, paid the deposit, in July 2013. I'm the guy who pondered the choice between a 416 Ruger and a 257 Weatherby. Now I'm going. Got a new rifle in ... Well, what caliber do you think, and why? Hint: wasn't strictly for the bullet performance.

I'm open to any advice, folklore, ramblings, or downright lies. Let me know what you think about this hunt. You don't even have to have been there, done that.

I've been to Africa four times. Carried everything from 300WM to 577Nitro. Ate a lot of dust. I'm such a great African expert after four trips that I think I know it all. Can track better than the locals. Never missed a brain shot. Can walk the PH into the ground. Can out drink, out smoke and out hunt any five good men. Can't leap tall buildings, but a two-story isn't out of the question.

Mostly, I can lie like a well-beaten rug.

So, what say you?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leopard in 2013 [Re: poprivit]
      #215418 - 25/08/12 02:09 AM

YOU LUCKY MAN.....

How is that for starters???

have about the same experience but still cant leap over buildings..

If it was me, and what I have shot before...I would use again..a good solid 30 caliber if legal with a 200gr soft bullet...not sure what SA laws are on caliber..

If not legal--the .416 Ruger would certainly do the job but not needed...or the good old standby the 375H&H...can NEVER go wrong with it...

Good luck and have a great trip

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Leopard in 2013 [Re: Ripp]
      #215422 - 25/08/12 04:26 AM

I would want something, where the bullet will open up quickly and turn his switch off fast. If its just for leopard, a .308 Win, 30-06, 7/57, with thin jacketed bullets quick expanding bullets. It wants to be a tack driver and sighted in dead on at what ever your PH suggested range is, with a low power scope good light gathering scope. I have a 20" barrel L57 Sako/manlicher .308 Win that Im just dying to use on a Leopard, it will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards.
Bob

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #215448 - 25/08/12 09:35 AM

Quote:

been to Africa four times. Carried everything from 300WM to 577Nitro. Ate a lot of dust. I'm such a great African expert after four trips that I think I know it all. Can track better than the locals. Never missed a brain shot. Can walk the PH into the ground. Can out drink, out smoke and out hunt any five good men...

Sounds like one of my favorite passages from Green Hills of Africa where he's describing the guide and their spot at a salt lick that Kudu are supposed to frequent.

"It's airtight. It's foolproof. It's even a shame. --- He's an Ace. Found the blind and everything. Knew where the salt lick was. Could tell which way the wind blew simply by scattering dust..."

I hope you have great time, and post some good pics for the rest of us.

poprivit
.333 member

Re: Leopard in 2013 [Re: Cazadero]
      #215497 - 26/08/12 01:50 AM

Well,the gun's a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. Ought to do the trick if I just do mine. Ammo is Weatherby factory 180-gr Spitzer (probably Norma?). PH says 100-yard shot. I'm not sure, but I think the 300 ought to have enough wham out to at least that distance, and mayhaps another 500 yards, or so.

I'm going with Infinito Safaris. Depart Las Vegas June 28th, enroute J'burg.

Here's something I just learned about Delta Airlines. They have what's called "Economy Comfort" seating. Costs a bit more, but it's pseudo-business class on a Boeing 777LR. Cost of flight: $2300 for economy, add $200+or - for Comfort. Prices are definitely going up. Total flight time on the ATL-JNB leg is 15.5 hours. Much better than the old 19-20 hours. I've got a 2.5 hour layover in ATL. Not bad. Total flight time, including layover, 22.5 hr.

The Boeing 777 has a 10,000+ mile range, so it's non-stop both ways. Look at seats in row 31. I got my tickets just as soon as available (331 days in advance) and did not use a travel agent. I can do the SAPS forms and the PH will do "meet and greet". Saves about $200. We get into JNB at 1730. Hope the PH will pick us up then and take our to the lodge. This will save spending $300-$400 for an overnight at the airport.

I'm not cheap, just broke. I'm a writer and in this economy that's better described as "Professional Starvation". Gun magazines are disappearing daily. There's a lot of competition for article space between the pages full of ads. Plus, magazines are shrinking. Guns And Ammo is down to 80-some pages.

Ripp
.577 member

#215507 - 26/08/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Well,the gun's a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. Ought to do the trick if I just do mine. Ammo is Weatherby factory 180-gr Spitzer (probably Norma?). PH says 100-yard shot. I'mnot sure, but I think the 300 ought to have enough wham out to at least that distance, and mayhaps another 500 yards, or so.

-The one I shot last in Zim --I was using a HS rifle chambered in 300 Ultra--shot 200 gr A-Frames..I went with them as I knew I would shoot other game, never know what you might run into..and figured the 200 Gr would be a bit slower and deliver a little more punch when hit..used it on hippo, croc, zebra, eland, hyena and impala..one shot on all...if I went for another I would use either that or a cooper I have in 30-06..have never used an 06 in my life...so I bought one..think for leopard it would be "the cats meow"...sorry couldnt resist.. Ripp

--------------------

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Leopard in 2013 [Re: Ripp]
      #216139 - 05/09/12 04:36 PM

Bring a lens pen and other optical cleaning goodies. Dirty optics can be the difference between success and failure. I know yours will be clean. But your P.H. doesn't have access to Zeiss or Swarovski lens cleaning fluids and cloths. Lens pens keep the glass clean. That can make the difference, and it won't break the bank.

I like simple scopes. Adjustable objectives are not needed on a leopard hunts. Make sure it can be focused. Many scopes allow for only focusing the reticle. Other scopes allow for the entire view to be focused. If it is a little dark, this could work in your favour.

Good luck!

poprivit
.333 member

Re: Leopard in 2013 [Re: albertan]
      #216190 - 06/09/12 01:15 AM

The scope's a Leupold VX-R 2-7 with an illuminated reticle. The red dot is adjustable and the reticle is duplex. I'll leave it on 3 power or less. The red dot works a treat in low light situations. My range has night shooting and a 200 yard max distance. There's one area just slightly out of the lights. I'll use that for practice. I'll sight dead on at 200 yards, so my zero correction range will be out to 250 yards. So far all I've done is clean and lube the rifle. I have it dead on at 25 yards, but have not fired it at longer ranges.

It's still over 100 degrees here (80 at 7 AM). So shooting is not real pleasant.

Ripp
.577 member

#216192 - 06/09/12 01:20 AM

I would go out and have my friend pick random spots in the distance with a flash light ..I would practice how quickly I could get on them with my scoped rifle..it was fun and gave me an idea of what to expect...as it ended..didnt need it..but was still fun to prepare..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2956

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com