Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Impala bullets

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Impala bullets
      #143958 - 19/10/09 08:23 PM

What is your opinion , or your experience , about shooting big game , especialy buffalos and elefants with the (very light solids or another ones) Impala bullets using calibers 375H&H and up ?

Edited by grandveneur (19/10/09 08:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Impala bullets [Re: grandveneur]
      #143959 - 19/10/09 08:41 PM

Never heard of Impala Bullets. Do you have a Web Sight for them?

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Impala bullets [Re: ozhunter]
      #143960 - 19/10/09 08:43 PM

[url=http://www.impalabullets.at www.impalabullets.co.za

Edited by grandveneur (19/10/09 08:48 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

#143962 - 19/10/09 08:52 PM

From there WSight, it seems that they were never intended for Heavy game and in any case I would not try.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #143969 - 19/10/09 10:50 PM

just my oppinion, but the price at 3 times woodleigh's in europe, they must really be something
i never understood why the solid CNC-made bullets are priced so high, as neither the material cost or the machine time involved warrent the high cost.

hmmm maybe im just to traditionel minded on these matters.

best

peter

grandveneur
.400 member

#143971 - 19/10/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

From there WSight, it seems that they were never intended for Heavy game and in any case I would not try.

I think so too ! But look at "EUROPE" in the homepage and now you have recommandations for hunting big game with this bullets ! I had a contact on a german forum with the Import in Austria , i gave me some exemple of buffalos or elefants killed by this light solids !!!!!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Impala bullets [Re: peter]
      #143972 - 20/10/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

i never understood why the solid CNC-made bullets are priced so high, as neither the material cost or the machine time involved warrent the high cost.

Peter, thanks for bringing this up. Can you expand on that?

I have never understood it either. Against the use of solid stock and machine time production on each bullet and even taking into account waste material for CNC bullets, you have multiple steps {more labor?} plus machine time {die stamping and swaging/drawing}, some waste and material cost on the other traditional bullets.

What is the big difference in cost? Is it cutting tools for CNC bullets?

Can somebody help here? I am glad Peter mentioned it, because I've never understood exactly why CNC bullets ARE more expensive.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Impala bullets [Re: 9.3x57]
      #143974 - 20/10/09 12:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What is the big difference in cost? Is it cutting tools for CNC bullets?

Can somebody help here? I am glad Peter mentioned it, because I've never understood exactly why CNC bullets ARE more expensive.

don't think it would be cutting tool cost, IMHO. Many, many years ago I worked in a machine shop running lathes, drills, etc..don't see where, as it has been stated, the increase in cost would be..

my first thought is simple greed or what the market will bear..kind of like Federal increasing their prices on 470 Nitro ammo from $185 to $280 to $380 a box in consecutive years..what the market will bear..

Actually read an article on the topic of big bore ammo available or in this case not available and how more and more big bore shooters are turning to reloading. For Federal, as mentioned above, their prices are insane...and in the case of Hornady, they are offering the ammo, but most places as of the time the article was written, was still hard to come by 18 months after they started to market it. For the costs invovled with Factory loaded ammo, it doesn't take too long to come out ahead rolling your own if you shoot even a little bit..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Re: Impala bullets [Re: Ripp]
      #143977 - 20/10/09 01:37 AM

i am not quite sure what the reason is, i am just in the process of over looking a private project for the 577, and even with a healthy 200% profit, i cant make them hit the 1$ mark pr bullet. you dont need advanced new cnc machines to do this, you can actually get the correct tolerances on 20 year old machinery.

so i think that ripp is at least partly right about the greed. only time will tell. who knows i might be the one that desides to bring the bullets to the public at the decent price

best

peter

P.S that bullet would be considered a solid in denmark and therefore not legal to use on big game

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #143981 - 20/10/09 03:23 AM

I think the general public thinks CNC technology is cutting edge stuff and they pay for it.
There could be no more simple item to make on a CNC lathe than a solid bullet.
In fact, I have even thought of making them myself but wouldn't shoot them in any of my guns. I do suppose, though, that we can try a design with a hollow base to give the barrel a little easier time.
Or, machine one with a solid tip up to the ogive with the remainder hollowed out to fill with lead. It would be very simple to adjust the bullet wall thickness to optimize bullet compression in the rifling too.

IMO, the cost of tool wear would be negligible when machining solid copper, brass, or alloys of each.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Impala bullets [Re: Huvius]
      #143983 - 20/10/09 03:47 AM

Monolithic or conventional, I would never take a shot at a buffalo or elephant with a light bullet with poor sectional density. Since there are excellent bullets on the market I see no reason to risk a wounded buffalo etc. Also, I can`t see any advantage of a light and fast bullet but many disadvantages, so I will stick with what worked for many decades. Just MHO of course !
It would be very interesting to hear the opinion of an experienced PH. They see all kind of guns and bullets and they should be able to tell what works and what doesn`t.

Kalunga

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Impala bullets [Re: Kalunga]
      #143985 - 20/10/09 04:31 AM

MHO too ! But on the homepage you can read -------can be used on game like fox or roe deer as well as dangerous game like cape buffalo and elefant !!?

ozhunter
.400 member

#144020 - 20/10/09 05:23 PM

RWS recommend buffalo can be taken with their 375 TUG and Cone Points. Most certainly yes. But this does not mean I will use them.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
      #144055 - 21/10/09 05:39 AM

The RWS Cone Point is one of the worst bullets ever designed, IMHO.

Kalunga

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Impala bullets [Re: Kalunga]
      #144079 - 21/10/09 05:40 PM

Seen my share of KS failures - however have in mind KS was originaly designed with steel jacket and it was completely different bullet then - far from being "premium" tho.

On impalas (cone shaped ones) - just medium caliber observations - entry hole of a 7mm is 2xcaliber dia - exit in caliber dia - bullets regulary tumble& sometimes veer...

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Impala bullets [Re: 93mouse]
      #144081 - 21/10/09 06:42 PM

I have found the RWS Cone Points in 6.5 good for game in the Fallow Deer size.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #144101 - 22/10/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

just my oppinion, but the price at 3 times woodleigh's in europe, they must really be something

Boers sure know how to set prices, don't they?

peter
removed

Re: Impala bullets [Re: 500grains]
      #144107 - 22/10/09 03:12 AM

yupp

but that goes for northforks and gs custom as well, still cant get it through my thick scull where the catch is ?

best

peter

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: Impala bullets [Re: 500grains]
      #144226 - 23/10/09 03:43 PM

I have used a few and shot them into dead buffalo and elephant. Penetration was shocking, if they hit bone, they bent and tumble. I also had trouble loading them withoout damaging the necks of my .450 Rigby's cases.
I have not tried them on PG, but have heard reports of friends who did, and where happy. They look too odd for me to ever like...!
BTW, 500grains, i really like the little video at the bottom of your posts!

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6030

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com