Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel?
      04/10/11 09:37 PM

A year or two ago I purchased a couple of small torches to attach to the barrels of a couple of my rifles. My CZ 452 .22 Magnum which I use a lot on my farm. And on a M96 sporterised Mauser in 6.5x55mm.

Missed a lot of stuff, rabbits etc with the .22 Mag. Usually test shoot it before using it to headshoot farmed deer, and the results were usually worrying. Missed a couple of deer the first time, but the second shot hit the brain both times.

The last time, the accuracy was horrible when test shooting it, and took the bloody torch off. The group at say 80 metres went from 2 1/2 inches to two bullet holes touching AGAIN! Thank goodness, back to normal and the accuracy I need.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this?

The "tactical" (wank) of hanging things off a barrel might be good for imagining clearing out urban buildings of "ninjas" at close range (only joking), but seems to affect accuracy and reliability tremendously on long arms. Makes a lot of sense, hanging stuff off a barrel will affect accuracy a lot.

What do you think? Positive or negative results and experience welcomed.

PS My desire for the torch on the barrel, was for shooting rabbits, hares, foxes, etc when working at night with the tractor, or quad bike. Also for killing pesky foxes quickly if they are calling around the farm at night. I think I will see if it can be mounted on the scope again, like the old full size spotlight.

Tne 6.5x55 is a safe queen at the moment, and not used much, so can't tell if it is affected as well. However it has a much heavier barrel. That rifle is also capable of fantastic accuracy, regular one hole 3-shot groups at a 100 metres.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? NitroXAdministrator 04/10/11 09:37 PM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? Rule303   14/10/11 09:28 PM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? FATBOY404   04/10/11 10:46 PM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? NitroXAdministrator   04/10/11 10:54 PM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? SAHUNT   05/10/11 01:08 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? DarylS   05/10/11 03:26 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? SAHUNT   14/10/11 10:34 PM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? DarylS   15/10/11 02:24 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? 458Win   22/10/11 09:18 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? DarylS   23/10/11 03:51 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? FATBOY404   22/10/11 10:43 AM
. * * Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? JeffK   07/10/11 12:23 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3757

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com