Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sucky Ruger rings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Sucky Ruger rings
      02/12/08 03:18 AM

Three days before deer season I took my Ruger 77 338/308 AI out to the range and sighted it in. I sighted it in 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Opening morning I had a nice standing broadside shot a white tail buck at what I thought was about 175 yards. I took the shot and hit a foot under the deer. I laughed with self about being back on the prairie and not being up to snuff on my range estimation.

Two days later another nice whitetail at 250 yards. I know this range is right because I have measured it in past with the laser range finder. I shot and hit high and way left.

I knew right then what was wrong. On the way home from the field I stoppped at the gun club, put up a target and fired three rounds. Nice group, just under an inch. Also 6 inches high and 7 inches left, almost off the target.

Got out a screwdriver, and sure enough the screws on the Ruger rings were not tight. I got bit by the age old Ruger curse soft clamp nuts and screws.

I pulled the scope off the rifle this morning and and took this picture. Sure enough, soft clamp nut.

Back in the old days I use to run into this all the time in my shop. People would come in and complain about their scope not holding zero. It wasn't hard to find the problem in the Ruger Factory rings. You never saw this wrote up in the Gun Mag's. Nope can't say anything derogatory about there biggest sponsor. When I talked to other Gunsmiths they all were aware of the problem, learning like I had from experience. I have even over there years talked with Ruger about the issue and only once had any one acknowledged it.

Back then to fix the problem I drilled and tapped the rifle and installed a Leupold base and rings.

I see now that Leupold has a ring designed for the Ruger Integral base. Any one have any experinece with them?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Sucky Ruger rings DoubleD 02/12/08 03:18 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings 4seventy   02/12/08 03:44 PM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings DoubleD   02/12/08 04:03 PM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings 4seventy   02/12/08 06:24 PM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings DoubleD   03/12/08 12:12 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings 9.3x57   03/12/08 01:32 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings DoubleD   03/12/08 03:08 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings Kalunga   02/12/08 06:23 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings Con   02/12/08 10:15 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings tophet1   02/12/08 10:18 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings Tatume   02/12/08 10:29 AM
. * * Re: Sucky Ruger rings 9.3x57   02/12/08 01:21 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3515

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com