Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed
      #177576 - 23/03/11 08:31 PM

Well my original Buehler mounts wouldn't sit still on my just built 358NM (at the time) so a set of Leupold were mounted and now only tonight my g`smith tells me that the rear ring has moved a tad and I should be looking for something 'that will hold' he was thinking along the lines of Warne so I ask without going over the top what else is on offer that will cope with the recoil factor?

I am pissed off as so far as I bought a set of S+K mounts from the states and the mount radius is wrong for my rifle,they sit here unused and now the Leupolds are gonna get the Khyber too.

Scope is 3.5-10 x 44 ZC inch

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Re: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed [Re: gryphon]
      #177601 - 24/03/11 08:19 AM

Everyone trashes them ... but good old Weaver bases and rings seem to hold on pretty well.

Is the ring moving, or the scope within the rings?
Cheers...
Con

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed [Re: Con]
      #177603 - 24/03/11 08:26 AM

I have the same scope on my 338-06 in Leupold mounts with no drama's.

I love Warne mounts,not for their looks but they work. I have five sets of the QD's on my Brno's.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #177610 - 24/03/11 01:07 PM

Quote:

Everyone trashes them ... but good old Weaver bases and rings seem to hold on pretty well.

Is the ring moving, or the scope within the rings?
Cheers...
Con

Col told me last night on the ph that the windage screws seemed to have moved on the rear which alerted him. He had taken the scope off to do an exact measure up of the rails to get the 308 NM (formerly 270W) to feed absolutely spot on as the 358 was formerly a 308NM too and it feeds everything including the hydro`s like a dream.

blacks
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/11
Loc: South-East South Australia
Re: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed [Re: gryphon]
      #177612 - 24/03/11 01:36 PM

I would have to agree, go with Warne. I have them on my hardest kicking rifles (a .458 Win Mag and a .350 Rem Mag) and have had nil problems or scope movements after several hundred rounds and many hunting trips with each. I have both the QD and permanent styles.

Either that, or look into Talleys, I haven't used them but have only heard good results.

Cheers

blacks

--------------------
You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed [Re: blacks]
      #177626 - 24/03/11 07:51 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Gryphon, Con has pretty well answered your question!

FYI, when ever I'm attaching a scope to anything with some amount of recoil (.30-06 and up), in addition to lapping the rings (that's normal for them all), I usually put Loctite 601 on both halves of the rings, prior to placing the scope in place. You need to place the scope in position first, to confirm eye relief. Whilst there, I put a piece of masking tape (on the scope) at the forward edge of where the scope ring is, then do as described above.

Hope that helps

Doh!
homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Mounts for 358 Norma , suggestions wanted/needed [Re: Homer]
      #177631 - 24/03/11 08:38 PM

I'm with Con on this one. The original style Weaver rings are admittedly a bitch to get the scope vertical as the rings roll the scope as they are tightened, but once the scope is in place it will never move. They also have the proper square section recoil pins to match the Weaver base or bases, unlike some copy rings which have round profile pins. I "two tube" epoxy glue all my bases and screws to the receiver and have never lapped rings.

Keep in mind too that the higher the ring, mechanically there is more break out force applied under recoil on the base, so a heavy scope mounted high will really test the integrity of the ring to base clamp strength under heavy recoil. For that matter it will also transfer that high mechanical leverage to the base mount screws as well. My little 2x Leupold in 2mm high Weaver rings on a one piece Weaver base has never moved in 30 years on the .404.

SuperCub
.224 member

Reged: 27/03/11
Loc: NB, Canada
      #177836 - 29/03/11 11:36 AM

Quote:

I've used them on a bunch of 375Magnums and just mounted the same on my 358Norma last night. I don't anticipate any problems.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com