Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SMLE ejection problem

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
SMLE ejection problem
      #96393 - 09/02/08 06:12 PM

I have a sporter 303 SMLE fitted with an old Aimpoint 2000 in the standard position over the action.Believe it or not when the fired cases are ejected briskly they can end up
facing BACKWARD and sitting in the action!Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: SMLE ejection problem [Re: wombat]
      #96398 - 09/02/08 08:20 PM

Depending on the action mark...

There should be a short screw protruding through the LHS of the action, which acts as the kicker to toss out the fired case. The outer left side of the rim should hit against it a half-inch or so before the bolt is fully rearward, and stop. This is what throws the case out. Often they become worn or burred over and produce the result you are experiencing.

This may not be it, but worth checking before going further. Remedy is to replace the screw.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: SMLE ejection problem [Re: Marrakai]
      #96405 - 10/02/08 12:34 AM

Marrakai is probably correct.

However, you might also check the extractor and extractor spring. Several things can happen there that can cause the problem you describe:

1} Weak extractor spring; the extractor sort of slides the case head to the left as the bolt is opened, allowing it to ride against the smooth left action wall until it hits the ejector screw. A weak extractor spring may allow the case to be withdrawn from the chamber, but not have enough "pushiness" to maintain tension on the case till the rim hits the ejector making for wimpy ejection, partial ejection, or no ejection at all.

2} Dirt under and around the extractor/extractor spring; this acts to in effect create the same scenario as #1} above. I've seen Lee extractors that had a "varnish" buildup of years of grease and oxidized oil mixed with dirt and dust and had extractors that simply did not operate properly, giving the impression of a weak spring. Once cleaned, all was well.

3} Too short or burred ejector can as Marrakai says be causing you the problem. Probably is that. however, you might check to see if the ejector was once removed and linseed oil or grease or action paint, etc got under the ejector screw head. This will have the function of "shortening" it by not allowing it to seat all the way when replaced and can cause ejection problems normally associated with a worn ejector.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
Re: SMLE ejection problem [Re: 9.3x57]
      #96436 - 10/02/08 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2302

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com