Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms...
      #93218 - 02/01/08 12:29 PM

FYI--see below..

Ripp

Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms
Deal positions Marlin and its various brands for growth

MADISON, N.C., December 26, 2007 – Remington Arms Company, Inc. (“Remington” or “ the Company”) the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. (“Marlin”). The transaction is expected to close by the end of January 2008.

Marlin, headquartered in North Haven, Connecticut, also owns Harrington and Richardson (H&R), New England Firearms (NEF) and LC Smith brands of rifles and shotguns.

Tommy Millner Remington’s CEO, said, “I am pleased to announce that Marlin’s well known brands with a long heritage of providing quality rifles and shotguns to hunters and shooters around the world will join the Remington family. The opportunity to combine two historic U.S. based companies with such storied and proud histories, is both challenging and exhilarating.”

“We look forward to working with Bob Behn, a well respected member of our industry. He will remain as president of Marlin, charting a course of further growth and operational improvement,” Mr. Millner continued.

Closing of the transaction is subject to certain customary conditions, including regulatory approvals. Credit Suisse acted as financial advisor to Remington with respect to this acquisition. Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a unit of Duff & Phelps Corporation (NYSE:DUF), initiated the transaction, assisted in the negotiations and acted as exclusive financial advisor to Marlin.

Frank Kenna III, Marlin’s Chairman, said, “Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century.”

Mr. Kenna III continued, “We believe Remington’s commitment to the industry, shooters and hunters alike, combined with their resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position, will reinforce the confidence, hard work and dedication that our employees and management have put into our brands.”

Marlin manufactures a wide range of long guns, from the historic Model 39 and 336 rifles, which are the oldest shoulder arm designs in the world still being produced, to the XLR Series, which are the most accurate lever action rifles in the world. Its lever action 22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters, including the great Annie Oakley.

E. Scott Blackwell, Remington’s President of Global Sales/Marketing and Product Development, said, “The history of our two companies in innovation and meeting the needs of hunters and shooters around the globe, combined with the opportunity to further develop the Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF and LC Smith brands, is not only beneficial to the Company and our channel partners, but especially to our to the end customer. And it is these customers and our employees that have contributed to the success and longevity of these brands.”

About Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, N.C., designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets, as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The Company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 55 foreign countries. More information about the Company can be found at www.remington.com.

About Marlin Firearms Inc.
Established in 1870, The Marlin Firearms Company’s brands include Marlin, Harrington & Richardson, New England Firearms and L. C. Smith. Under its various brands, Marlin produces an array of lever action, bolt action, and semi-automatic rifles, a wide variety of break-open single shot shotguns and rifles as well as muzzleloaders and combo sets. The company maintains a corporate Headquarters and manufacturing plant in North Haven, Connecticut as well as a manufacturing facility in Gardner, Massachusetts.

Forward-Looking Statements
This press release includes "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of federal securities laws. Forward-looking statements give the Company's current expectations or forecasts of future events. These forward looking statements include expectations regarding (i) the proposed acquisition, (ii) the anticipated benefits of the acquisition and (iii) the timing of the proposed acquisition. The Company cautions that these statements are qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include the demand for the Company's products, the Company's growth opportunities, and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s reports filed with the SEC, including its Form 10-K Report for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2006.

The Company assumes no obligation to update publicly such forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Media Contacts

For Remington Arms Company:
Al Russo: (336) 548-8572

###

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms... [Re: Ripp]
      #93219 - 02/01/08 12:41 PM

Thanks for posting.

Looks like everybody wants to take some profits these days, even the Kenna family...

Not sure what to think. I cannot stand Remington's "style" and manufacturing processes and if those wend their way into the Marlin line, goodbye Marlin IMO.

I'd love it if they merely left Marlin products alone, making only one change;

Dump Micro-Groove rifling for good.

Nobody ever listens to me, so I'm not holding my breath...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #93220 - 02/01/08 12:52 PM

My observation also.Usually(but not always) change tends to leave me wishing for the old product back.

Ripp
.577 member

#93221 - 02/01/08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting.

Looks like everybody wants to take some profits these days, even the Kenna family...

Not sure what to think. I cannot stand Remington's "style" and manufacturing processes and if those wend their way into the Marlin line, goodbye Marlin IMO.

Yes,, I think Remingtons quality leave a bit to be desired as of late--not what they were 30 years ago..but then what is--the only thing about this that could have been worse is if Ruger would have bought them..and put on some of their $20 barrels..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#93222 - 02/01/08 02:35 PM

It isn't Remington quality that scares me, it is their manufacturing processes and emphasis on fabrication, stampings, etc that leave me cold. I just don't like the style of Remington guns. Fine on a bolt gun I guess {though it isn't my cup of tea there either} but if they try to "modernize" the Marlin line along those lines I think they will kill it.

Very few guns in the Marlin line are direct competitors with Remington products, so maybe Remington will leave them alone. Actually, I'd love to see a few specialty Marlins, like a factory .38-55 on the 336 {that is, 1895 .45-70} action and the purging of Micro-Groove rifling. Also, some "custom shop" type Marlins would be interesting, guns with fine finishes, for example.

Or dare I ask for it, but a resurrection of the Sporting Carbines, one in .35 Remington and one in .38-55 with real rifling, please????? THAT's too much to ask...

Realistically, as much as it pains me to say it, the country is awash in Marlins {used gun market} and I suspect the traditional Marlin line might be seeing a declining market, what with the modern emphasis on bolt guns with synthetic stocks, etc being the thing for new shooters/hunters. I'm betting the average new hunter doesn't want anything to do with douty "old fashioned" leverguns.

Maybe it is the end of another era. Heck, seen a brand new Colt Official Police lately? Nope, they are gone and maybe so will the plain-jane Marlin .30-30 soon also.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

#93223 - 02/01/08 02:48 PM

Personally I don't think they will change style--at least I hope not--I like Marlins and have a couple myself--one in the model 39A --in 22 caliber and another in the cowboy octagon barrel in 45-70--love to shoot both of them and practice quite a bit of off hand shooting with the little 22..

**Incidently the little 39A-Marlin--22 rimfire--"Micro-grove" --is the longest running rifle still being manufactured by the company that originated it..move than 2.2 million have been sold to date..impressive..

I grew up with Remingtons and personally really like how they feel--but really feel their quality has diminished..

Also really like the Ultra-mag calibers--own one of each--the 300 is probably my favorite--I have one in a HS Precision Rifle--shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long if I do my part...including African game I have probably taken 40 plus game animals with the gun...

**Another footnote to this entire "Remington" thing--saw for 2008 they are also offering a Mauser 98 style action in .375 H&H and 458 Win mag calibers..suggested retail on them is $1100--I am guessing street price will be $900 and change..

Remington seems to be attempting to compete against the resurrected Winchester company--good luck with that one--

Just read an article this weekend on a test they did with the new model 70's--seemed to be a much improved product over the garbage they were turning out at the end.. I am really looking forward to get my hands on one of the new Winchesters..if it is as described I will be the owner of several--only problem I have seen thus far is the large bores were not offered as of yet--the largest per the article was 338 caliber..hopefully they will be doing some .375 and larger as time goes on..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (02/01/08 04:06 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#93331 - 03/01/08 04:52 PM

Quote:

**Another footnote to this entire "Remington" thing--saw for 2008 they are also offering a Mauser 98 style action in .375 H&H and 458 Win mag calibers..suggested retail on them is $1100--I am guessing street price will be $900 and change

Are those built on the same Yugo 98 actions as the rest of the 798 series?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #93332 - 03/01/08 05:12 PM

Built on the Zastava 98

Same as they were by 2 or more previous companies
but now they will just cost more because Remington
have exclusive on them.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms... [Re: 500Nitro]
      #93353 - 04/01/08 01:02 AM

Quote:

Built on the Zastava 98

Same as they were by 2 or more previous companies
but now they will just cost more because Remington
have exclusive on them.

Are those any good??

Ripp

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #93356 - 04/01/08 02:29 AM

I'm disappointed to read this. I have no use for Remingtons. I have three Marlins in .45-70, .30-30, and 308 Marlin Express and am glad I have them before Remington gets its paws on the company. I expect shoddy construction, very poor customer service, inflated prices, and the death of several good Marlin, NEF, and H&R models. Hope I'm wrong.

9.3x57
.450 member

#93368 - 04/01/08 03:32 AM

RIPP:

If memory serves me, the Zastava actions were the basis of the old "Whitworth" .458's, .375's, etc.

I have read mixed reviews. The old ones were sound rifles, poorly stocked. In fact, back in 1986, before I moved to RSA, I corresponded with Jack Lott and he offered to build me a .458 Lott on a Whitworth rifle, complete with recoil throughbolts etc.

Here's the kicker...

He offered to do it for $300 if I sent him the rifle!

I already had a left hand .375 ordered and I had no earthly use for a .458 Lott and had no $ either for a spare rifle, and I passed. What a knothead I was. Could'a bought a few "practical" rifles with what I could have later got for his...

Anyway, the Zastava actions were imported as "Charles Daly" a few years ago, then Rem got ahold of them, like they got hold of Baikal, as importers.

I am familiar with the Remington setup, which makes for an unbelieveably ugly gun IMO, that is, in the standard calibers. Maybe they are selling?? To me, a Mauser just begs for a traditional trim and dress, and the Remington version has a horrific stock, no sights, etc.

Reason I was asking about the .458's and .375's, was that I was not sure if Remington was using these same Zastava actions, or if they have moved on to something else.

Do you know what the .458's are supposed to look like?

I do NOT know what the quality of the current Zastava actions are, but they were never super nice, with the oes I saw being about like polished milsurp actions. Therea re some differences. Triggers and safeties are commercial type, not military, so the bolt sleeve is different from the military ones, too. I think the actions would be sound, solid actions for a working gun. When sold by "Charles Daly" they were dirt cheap, too.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#93369 - 04/01/08 03:43 AM

Quote:

RIPP:

Do you know what the .458's are supposed to look like?

This should be it...

Ripp...

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms... [Re: Plains99]
      #93374 - 04/01/08 06:07 AM

Quote:

I expect shoddy construction, very poor customer service, inflated prices, and the death of several good Marlin, NEF, and H&R models. Hope I'm wrong.

Agree, especially the first line !

Ripp
.577 member

#93377 - 04/01/08 07:20 AM

Per a gunsmith I have do some of my work--he stated that after the war in Serbia in the 1990's -Remington went in and refurbished one of the older factory's that was earlier bombed--he states the actions are not too bad---As I have never seen one I can not confirm..only reporting on what I heard..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#93395 - 04/01/08 12:34 PM

RIPP:

I can't say I'm in love with the forearm on that thing, but overall, if that gun is what it looks like, I'd buy one...especially if it was a 6.5x55!!

Maybe Remington will make me a buyer yet...

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (04/01/08 12:57 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#93456 - 04/01/08 11:06 PM

the safari model they are advertising on their site shows it in a .375 and 458 only...however I am sure the standard model is available in other calibers..not sure if the 6.5x55 is one of them..but I doubt it--good news however--I bet your gunsmith can make you one..

Actually checked the site--243, 270, 7 mm, 30-06, 300 win mag, 375 and 458 as well in the standard non-safari model--saw they also have one with a sythetic stock as well and matte finish on the barrel, called their sps model..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (04/01/08 11:12 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#93459 - 05/01/08 12:12 AM

SPS - Special pice of Shit.

They are rough as guts.

9.3x57
.450 member

#93462 - 05/01/08 01:13 AM

Quote:

They are rough as guts.

Now calm down, 500.

I made a New Year's Resolution to be nice.

I'm doing my level best.

{I'd like to see one up close...}

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#93498 - 05/01/08 12:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They are rough as guts.

Now calm down, 500.

I made a New Year's Resolution to be nice.

YOU CAN'T BE NICE--I TOLD YOU I WAS GOING TO BE..SOMEONE NEEDS TO PICK UP THE SLACK HERE..

{I'd like to see one up close...}

I WILL TAKE A PEAK AT SCI IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND LET YOU KNOW...

RIPP

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#93503 - 05/01/08 01:25 PM

I look forward to your report!

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #93636 - 06/01/08 04:47 PM

I don't own a Remington rifle and never did. However, I have examined several Model 700s recently at Gander Mountain and Basspro and even to my admittedly non expert eyes, they looked terribly put together with uneven gaps on virtually every rifle that I have seen recently between the wood and the barrel. I did make the mistake of buying some Remington ammunition for my Mauser rifle and though the box looked new on the outside, when I opened it at home (it was sealed) every round in it had verdigris on it and was dented at some place on the case. In India I have shot thousands of rounds of old Remington 22 lr ammunition over the years and have never had a problem but in recent years their quality did seem to go down the drain.

When I decided to buy a 22 lr rifle mainly to get my wife started shooting, the choice at the time was between the Marlin 60 and the Remington 597. In Wisconsin at the time every 597 owner I spoke to at my gun club seemed to have feeding problems with his/her rifle. I bought a Marlin 60 and have never had problems with it except when I try to shoot hollowpoint ammunition.

I hope the new owners of the Marlin business decide to work hard on the quality and ensure that the existing Marlin line does not get "Remingtonised." It would be a sad end to the Marlin name if the same people who ran Remington into the ground forcing the company to be sold, mess Marlin up as well.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #93677 - 07/01/08 02:01 AM

Agree with your assesment of Remington today--their quality isn't too far off of what Winchester was before they quite production of the model 70--unfortunately when one looks at any of the other major manufacturers, you can see the same thing--a fair amount of money for shoddy workmanship--personally I will no longer buy a standard off the shelf firearm..my time and money are worth more too me than that.. I would much rather spend 2 to 3 times the cost of a off the shelf gun and be proud and satisfied on how it shoots and the garbage currently being offered..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#93683 - 07/01/08 02:18 AM

Marlin appeared to be stable.

I seriously wonder if this was seen by the Kenna opportunity to take those profits and run {from the gunmaking industry}.

Remember, Remington will also own H&R and NEF. With the rise of popularity of the whole series of T/C singleshot rifles {multibarrel guns} I look to see Remington gussy up the H&R and NEF lines and go after this growing market.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#93986 - 10/01/08 01:03 PM

Quote:

RIPP:

If memory serves me, the Zastava actions were the basis of the old "Whitworth" .458's, .375's, etc.

FYI--

Just read an article by Boddington who tested the new Mauser 798 Remington--and yes it is a Mark X action as you suggested...this article took place in Namibia--they had a gun crew over there shooting plains game.. in the article he did mention that Lott built several guns on this same action for himself..

Personally, I am still reserving judgement until I see one in person--

Ripp

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#93987 - 10/01/08 01:08 PM

Quote:

Marlin appeared to be stable.

I seriously wonder if this was seen by the Kenna opportunity to take those profits and run {from the gunmaking industry}.

You got it in one.

Someone comes along at the end of your career with
a nice fat offer, take it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9391

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com