Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!'

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
'Mum, the bear is eating me!'
      #189065 - 02/09/11 03:50 AM

'Mum, the bear is eating me!': Frantic final phone calls of woman, 19, eaten alive by brown bear and its three cubs

Stepfather was also killed in the brutal attack

By Will Stewart

Last updated at 5:00 PM on 17th August 2011

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-bear-cubs.html

Eaten alive: Olga Moskalyova, 19, gave an horrific hour-long running commentary on her own death in three separate calls to her mother as the wild animals mauled her

A distraught mother listened on a mobile phone as her teenage daughter was eaten alive by a brown bear and its three cubs.

Olga Moskalyova, 19, gave an horrific hour-long running commentary on her own death in three separate calls as the wild animals mauled her.

She screamed: 'Mum, the bear is eating me! Mum, it’s such agony. Mum, help!'

Her mother Tatiana said that at first she thought she was joking.

'But then I heard the real horror and pain in Olga’s voice, and the sounds of a bear growling and chewing,' she added. 'I could have died then and there from shock.'

Unknown to Tatiana, the bear had already killed her husband Igor Tsyganenkov - Olga’s stepfather - by overpowering him, breaking his neck and smashing his skull.

Olga, a trainee psychologist, saw the ­attack on her stepfather in tall grass and reeds by a river in Russia and fled for 70 yards before the mother bear grabbed her leg.

As the creature toyed with her, she managed to call Tatiana several times during the prolonged attack.Tatiana rang her husband - not knowing he was ­already dead - but got no answer.

She alerted the police and relatives in the village of Termalniy, near Petropavlovsk Kamchatskiy, in the extreme east of Siberia.

She begged them to rush to the river where the pair had gone to retrieve a fishing rod that Igor had left.

In a second call, a weak Olga gasped: 'Mum, the bears are back. She came back and brought her three babies. They’re... eating me.'

Killed: Olga Moskalyova (right) and her stepfather Igor Tsyganenkov (left) were both eaten alive by bears

Finally, in her last call - almost an hour after the first - Olga sensed she was on the verge of death.

With the bears having apparently left her to die, she said: 'Mum, it’s not hurting any more. I don’t feel the pain. Forgive me for everything, I love you so much.'

The call cut off and that was the last Tatiana heard from her ­daughter.

Half an hour later, Igor’s brother Andrei arrived with police to find the mother bear still devouring his body. Badly mauled Olga was also dead.

Six hunters were sent in by the emergency services to kill the mother bear and her three cubs.

The double killing is the latest in a spate of bear attacks across ­Russia, as the hungry animals seek food in areas where people have ­encroached and settled on their former habitat.

A weeping Tatiana said that Olga had everything to look forward to, and was happy with her life and boyfriend Stepan.

'My daughter was such fun. She was so cheerful, friendly, and warm,' said Tatiana.

'She had graduated from music school, and just days before the bear attack she got her driving ­licence.'

Her husband and daughter are due to be buried today.

Put down: Six hunters were sent in by the emergency services to kill the mother bear and her three cubs

Volcanoes loom beyond the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky , in the extreme east of Siberia. The tragedy happened near the village of Termalniy which lies close to the city

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: NitroX]
      #189066 - 02/09/11 03:50 AM

Horrible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #189072 - 02/09/11 05:32 AM

Truly a terrifying situation.
I can't imagine the absolute helplessness on both ends of the call.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Huvius]
      #189076 - 02/09/11 05:56 AM

Its hard to understand, must be so freightening, see her father kild and then see the bears go for her. Really horrible.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Sville]
      #189084 - 02/09/11 07:20 AM

Quite a bit different to Disney, eh.

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Ben]
      #189121 - 03/09/11 02:44 AM

The odds are 100% that I'll be there in April 2012 to hunt one of those bears. I'm going with Outdoor Adventures.

I have been told that the bears are absolutely not even slightly sorta' afraid of anything, especially little bitty pink animals on two legs. I also was told that a .338 or .375 is sufficient. I'm taking my .416!

Sorry about those people, but they should have been aware of the bear presence just by being in Petropovlovsk. The locals are very aware of bear encroachment.

A bear taken in 2010 squared better than 9 feet. What would you take into the forest? Mama bear and three cubs killed for being carnivores ...

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: poprivit]
      #189220 - 05/09/11 02:13 AM

The thought of poking around in known brown bear country without at least a 375 totally escapes me.

Heck I have been known to pack my 416 when picking blueberries in black bear country!

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #189224 - 05/09/11 04:09 AM

Does this whole thing sound fishy to anyone except me? I have never heard of a land animal eating anything as large as a human being alive unless it was thoroughly incapacitated beforehand. Why would an animal which could kill or incapcitate a human with one swipe of its paw not do so in such a situation?

Moreover, I find it hard to believe that anyone being eaten could utter anything coherent, or anything at all except screams.

Has any attempt been made to authenticate this story?

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: xausa]
      #189225 - 05/09/11 04:23 AM

I was going to post that Xausa, the whole thing sounds odd to me, you are being eaten by a bear but instead of defending yourself you phone your mum ??????????!!!!!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #189232 - 05/09/11 08:15 AM

Quote:

I was going to post that Xausa, the whole thing sounds odd to me, you are being eaten by a bear but instead of defending yourself you phone your mum ??????????!!!!!

Yes this had me wondering as well. I guess anything is possible but the probability of it would be extremely low IMHO

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Rule303]
      #189240 - 05/09/11 09:24 AM

I find the telephone call strange.

But carnivores routinely eat their prey alive. Bear, wolves, coyotes, all eat their prey alive.

We find evidence of it all the time, and I have witnessed eagles, coyotes and dogs eating animals alive.

Wolf kills tell the story too.

Just a few weeks ago my son found yet another wolf-killed moose. Tracks and carcass parts told the story clearly. Wolves chased the moose, unzipped its belly, the guts fell out and the moose ran on and on, streaming its guts out the wound, then fell and was eaten. USDA here has clear evidence this is a very common means by which cattle are killed, and coyotes will do similarly to sheep, tho sheep seem to be killed outright, or at least quite quickly by wolves. Fawns are eaten alive, deer, ditto.

Recently I viewed a USDA video of a confirmed wolf-kill stock depredation. The cow was knocked down and large, massive amounts of muscle eaten from the hind legs and groin area. Animal was still alive during the videoing.

Predators do not follow a process after the style of men; Hunt, kill, eat. They eat as they can, with prey live or dead.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: 9.3x57]
      #189274 - 05/09/11 08:59 PM

Quote:

Wolves chased the moose, unzipped its belly, the guts fell out and the moose ran on and on, streaming its guts out the wound, then fell and was eaten. USDA here has clear evidence this is a very common means by which cattle are killed, and coyotes will do similarly to sheep, tho sheep seem to be killed outright, or at least quite quickly by wolves. Fawns are eaten alive, deer, ditto.

What you have described is typical pack animal behavior, but (1) how many humans would "run on and on, streaming its guts out the wound"? and (2) how does this apply to large carnivores like bears, lions and tigers, who can kill or incapicitate instantly and effectively?

My experience with carnivores is that they don't start at the toes and eat up, but, as you say, go for the "soft underbelly" and the guts. How does this apply to the case in point?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #189278 - 05/09/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

What you have described is typical pack animal behavior, but (1) how many humans would "run on and on, streaming its guts out the wound"? and (2) how does this apply to large carnivores like bears, lions and tigers, who can kill or incapicitate instantly and effectively?

Most carnivores take it as they can and will feed on living animals as long as the animal is not preventing them from doing so. There are numerous cases of wolves feeding on moose that are stuck in snow drifts.

As for cats, their behavior seems to be a bit different, especially bobcat and mountain lion {tigers, too?} who hunt alone and often cache their prey before feeding. We have even observed that exact behavior here on the ranch and set up a game camera to document it. Lion behavior here often involves almost immediate caching and sometimes multiple carcasses can be found in a close area. Thus, the animal must more or less be dead to allow caching. But do lion wait for a "coroner's report" before caching? I don't think so, but if there is any resistance they may back off, continue to clench down on the throat, etc. I have observed a bobcat killing a medium sized doe, doing just the latter, holding it down by the throat as the deer struggled. It took a lot of time and the bobcat was exhausted. Both were.

The nature of lion attack is different than wolves, too, and they often attack forward of the shoulders as coyotes commonly do on sheep as well. None of this is guaranteed, tho, as friends have had horses attacked by lion that got them on the back, hind quarters, etc. Note...the horses lived as they were botched attacks. Again, this is not etched in stone, as wolves attack the face, rip off noses, tear out tongues and sometimes such injured prey escapes to die a lingering and horrific death. Cattle here have been rounded up missing tails, crippled in the hind quarters, etc.

Which is another issue.

Carnivores are not "efficient", "clean", or even in many cases, anthropomorphically-speaking, "skillful" in their attacks. The modern view of carnivores has been wholly hijacked by the current pipedream notion of their being "sanitizers" or even "improvers" of nature. They do what they do, as they can do it. Sort of like those who say, "In a gunfight, I'll rely on 'shot placement'", only to find it is hard to "place" a shot on a fellow who doesn't want to be shot, and so goes the career of the game killer, who grabs as grab can and makes many mistakes along the way.

Bear are sheer death on elk and deer, but mostly on calves and fawns, where they can and have devastated populations as was documented in the Lochsa region of Idaho. The young of course are no big deal to kill, and actually more or less in the course of the attack the fawn dies, but is it the intent of the bear to kill it? No, it is the intent of the bear to get the meat into its belly.

My experience with carnivores is that they don't start at the toes and eat up, but, as you say, go for the "soft underbelly" and the guts. How does this apply to the case in point?

Actually, I do not know how it would apply because like you, I find the whole telephoning thing to be quite bizarre. Having said that, who knows, maybe it happened just as the article says. These things are impossible to say. Maybe the bear went back and forth and crippled her and all she had was her phone?

I often find news reporting to be about as close to fiction and fraud as a tale can get, and even if the event actually happened, news often alters the details so much it might as well be make believe. I'm not saying that is what is going on here, only commenting that our society seems wholly insane and wedded to their cell phones if a girl believes by instinct that getting to the phone is somehow going to save her from an imminent and/or ongoing attack. The World According to XBox...?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (05/09/11 10:47 PM)

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: 9.3x57]
      #189289 - 06/09/11 04:39 AM

My guess is bruin killed dad, was having lunch, spotted daughter, played cat like for a while in killing her, then went back to the main meal of poor 'ol dad.

I still would not mess in a brown bear's territory without sufficient firepower.

Bear kills are not pretty. My neighbor was a LEO in Alaska and had some nasty experiences in recovering bear killed humans. Yes they will eat you down to the soles of your boots! Then have the boot soles for dessert. In one recovery they did not find the skull, only fragments and the other bones were consumed also.

For some thrills read "Night of the Grizly".

Two more books that you do not want to read when curled up in a sleeping bag in Griz/Brown country are "Alaska Bear Tales" and "More Bear Tales" by Larry Kaniut who lived in Anchorage at the time of the book writings.

Edited by Altamaha (06/09/11 04:57 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 'Mum, the bear is eating me!' [Re: Altamaha]
      #189416 - 08/09/11 12:41 PM

Yeah if you read between the lines, the bears were actually eating the father when the search party arrived, but the daughter had been mauled and was now dead. I imagine they were biting her and pushing her around, perhaps not actually crunching away having a jolly good meal.

Who knows? But you know how hard it is to get teenagers off their mobile phones these days ..... yeah I know bad joke. Also I wonder what brand it was, imagine the advertising - "A Nokia phone is so good, you can't even stop talking on the phone when being eaten by a maneater bear!" yes, second crass bad joke ...

Still sounds like a horrible incident.

As for being armed 100% of the time, living in the actual place, I imagine it isn't always possible, or the unlikelihood /low probability of an attack means people ignore that a lot too.

I certainly have walked around in Africa unarmed a lot in the bush, canoed on the Zambezi without any weapons, camped as well. While others insist on carrying a rifle in their hands just to go behind a bush. Shit happens sometimes! (third bad crass joke ....)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #189417 - 08/09/11 12:47 PM

Quote:

I learnt over the last 10 years that dogs, dingoes etc definitely go for the soft under belly / guts. I asked and was told that is always the case.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com