Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stalking the elusive spotted deer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Stalking the elusive spotted deer
      #83494 - 03/08/07 07:04 PM

Since moving back to Hawai‘i I have been learning how to stalk the elusive spotted deer (or chital, or axis). I’ve been on three hunts in the period from April to July on the neighboring island of Lanai, one on public land (drawing hunt), and two on private land. On the last hunt I was finally successful and I shot a small chital buck. Needless to say this is free-range, wild animals. Also, its quite hot during the middle of the day...

Some observations on the hunting spotted deer in general. These are VERY wary and spooky deer, much more difficult to hunt than mouflon. Routinely the deer have spotted me at over 200m, and moved with great speed to get away from me. They are a challenging animal to stalk on the open hill. Moreover, the have excellent hearing and the first time I snuck up on one I blew it by chambering my bolt too fast, and the buck heard it (at about 200m again) and ran over the hill…

This small buck was spotted avoiding the heat of mid-day by resting under a Kiawe tree. It was a difficult shot at a partially obscured deer that was lying down. Needless to say, it was not a perfect first shot. The deer got up and ran off and I shot again to put him down, and well… I shot off an antler. I followed up in the bushes and managed to put a shot in his head and put him down for good. Not my best shooting, in fact down right terrible… I like to put animals down cleanly. I’m not proud of my shooting, but the hunt was successful! Now I have a store of wonderful spotted deer venison, an interesting European skull mount, and a beautiful spotted deer hide to go on the wall. I’ll see if I can do better next year!

Hunting on Lanai:

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Stalking the elusive spotted deer [Re: Chasseur]
      #83498 - 03/08/07 11:00 PM

Well done Chasseur.Its a good trophy minus the one antler.Of course we have alot of cheetals here and hunt them regularly.They are not so elusive here as there are plenty of them but they are hard to hunt as you mentioned.

deerhunter
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Stalking the elusive spotted deer [Re: iqbal]
      #83507 - 03/08/07 11:42 PM

Pretty piece of country to boot...
Well done on your success!

--------------------
Australian Deer Association

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Stalking the elusive spotted deer [Re: deerhunter]
      #83526 - 04/08/07 05:28 AM

nice going dr chasseur

funny how it looks like scotland without the mist and shitty weather, i was just wondering what the horses were doing there in the last pic, maybe next time you could borrow one and use that to stalk closer it might work for you, it works in skotland.

did you ever find the other antler ?

peter

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Stalking the elusive spotted deer [Re: peter]
      #83561 - 05/08/07 09:15 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Iqbal: What other types of deer and game do you hunt in Pakistan today? I love reading stories of the old days of hunting in the sub-continent.

Unfortunately I never found the other antler, that second shot was in the bushes and thought we looked for several hours... no luck. I also lost my shooting sticks too that day...

The horses are part of the ranch there in the high part of the island. I've been dreaming of renting a horse for the weekend and doing a rough weekend of horseback hunting and camping. But, I think the ranch caters to only half day "tourist" rides... Its a beautiful island Lanai. Because of the high elevation its dry and cool. The Neew Caledonian pines make it very picturesque. If you are ever looking for a wonderful vacation spot for the Mrs. the Four Seasons Resort there, The Lodge at Koele, is wonderful. Maybe you can sneek away for a day of chital deer and mouflon stalking...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1904

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com